• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need Help Understanding

garand_guy

Hello, I'm the guy who runs NevadaCarry.org. I'm expanding the concept to the whole intermountain west, but Colorado is making my head hurt. I'm trying to understand a couple things, particularly when it comes to OC. I've gathered so far:

• Denver can do practically whatever it wants;
  • OC can be banned in public buildings and "areas" (in Nevada, it's the CC that can be banned);
  • Some local cops have big problems with open carry.

How common is it for 'no open carry' to be posted, and in what manner? What kinds of places are posted? Parks, buildings, etc? Is there a comprehensive list of anti-OC ordinances?

I appreciate the help.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Are you of the opinion that all guns law are void?

If so, then what government's do with laws should not bother you too much (as who cares about laws that are void when signed?) but advocating defending your rights is most appropriate.

since9

Campaign Veteran
And now, for a pertinent response....

Hello, I'm the guy who runs NevadaCarry.org. I'm expanding the concept to the whole intermountain west, but Colorado is making my head hurt. I'm trying to understand a couple things, particularly when it comes to OC.

Let me see if I can provide you with some answers, garand_guy. :)

I've gathered so far:

• Denver can do practically whatever it wants;
  • OC can be banned in public buildings and "areas" (in Nevada, it's the CC that can be banned);
  • Some local cops have big problems with open carry.

When you realize that Denver city and Denver county are all but completely identical, it clears up some things. They can't do whatever they want. Thy do claim home rule, however, and due to a tied State Supreme Court decision, they get to keep doing what they were doing before, which is denying OC.

How common is it for 'no open carry' to be posted, and in what manner? What kinds of places are posted? Parks, buildings, etc? Is there a comprehensive list of anti-OC ordinances?

It's common enough, but you'll never see it on the vast majority of businesses.

The most common signs I see are "No Firearms" and "No Open Display of Firearms." You'll find the latter on the libraries here in Colorado Springs.

As per the Colorado Constitution, cities cannot ban OC in city parks. Thus, it's legal to OC in Garden of the Gods park.

The best advice I can give you on ordinances is for you to look up the C.R.S. (Colorado Revised Statutes) and puzzle through them yourself. Aside from that, the following rules are generally conservative guides:

Do not OC or carry wherever it's posted that you cannot OC or carry.
Do not carry (OC or CC) into any courtroom or federal building.
Do not OC on any public transportation (bus or train).
Do not OC within 1,000 feet of any public K-12 school.
Do not OC on any college campus, public or private.

These five rules will keep you out of trouble the vast majority of the time.

I appreciate the help.

Don't mention it. :)