• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Danger - Danger Richmond Greyhound bus station shooter

markand

The trooper was involved in a training exercise.

According to Fox News, Trooper Chad Dermyer, 37, served in the Marine Corps, became a trooper in 2014 and recently joined the state police Counter Terrorism and Criminal Interdiction Unit.

Quoting from the Fox News article linked below:
"Details about the training exercise were scant. Police called it “specialized training on criminal interdiction practices,” and said the troopers had completed the classroom instruction and were conducting field practicals at the time the shooting unfolded."

As the trooper, dressed in fatigues, approached the shooter, an individual who apparently "faced a slew of charges including murder and domestic battery", the shooter opened fire. Other officers in the training exercise engaged the shooter, who later died at an area hospital. Don't see a motive for the shooting.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/04/01/va-troopers-death-came-in-training-exercise-gone-awry.html

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The trooper was involved in a training exercise.

According to Fox News, Trooper Chad Dermyer, 37, served in the Marine Corps, became a trooper in 2014 and recently joined the state police Counter Terrorism and Criminal Interdiction Unit.

Quoting from the Fox News article linked below:
"Details about the training exercise were scant. Police called it “specialized training on criminal interdiction practices,” and said the troopers had completed the classroom instruction and were conducting field practicals at the time the shooting unfolded."

As the trooper, dressed in fatigues, approached the shooter, an individual who apparently "faced a slew of charges including murder and domestic battery", the shooter opened fire. Other officers in the training exercise engaged the shooter, who later died at an area hospital. Don't see a motive for the shooting.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/04/01/va-troopers-death-came-in-training-exercise-gone-awry.html

What a find very puzzling in that article is the statement, "Trooper Dermyer’s encounter with the male subject was part of the training,” police said in a statement."

The VSP uses unknown people in their training exercises? Then training with hot guns and no ballistic vest?

Seems to me that if you are going to have a training exercise at a public location, it might be wise to secure the area first.

While I am not ready to make a claim, it is entirely possible that VSP training procedures were contributory to this tragedy.

I think somebody has got a lot of explaining to do.

Last edited:

TFred

No it is not.

It is private property and one can only be charged with trespass if they refuse to leave.
That doesn't make it not a "gun-free" zone. It makes it not "illegal" to have a gun on your person while on the property, but many of the mass shootings (malls, etc.) have been in non-criminally binding, but still "gun-free" zones.

The question should be, did the property owner have a no-gun POLICY in place?

ETA: Because remember, law-abiding gun-owners typically do not carry in "gun-free" zones, whether there are criminal consequences attached or not.

TFred

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I was wandering if the bus station is a gun free zone ?
No it is not.

It is private property and one can only be charged with trespass if they refuse to leave.
That doesn't make it not a "gun-free" zone. It makes it not "illegal" to have a gun on your person while on the property, but many of the mass shootings (malls, etc.) have been in non-criminally binding, but still "gun-free" zones.

The question should be, did the property owner have a no-gun POLICY in place?

ETA: Because remember, law-abiding gun-owners typically do not carry in "gun-free" zones, whether there are criminal consequences attached or not.

TFred
Real Gun Free Zones are created by statute, regulation or executive order - none of these apply to the Greyhound station.

To the best of my knowledge, the station does not have a formal no-gun policy in the waiting area. I have not been there in years - used to send Christmas packages via Greyhound.

Last edited:

TFred

Real Gun Free Zones are created by statute, regulation or executive order - none of these apply to the Greyhound station.

To the best of my knowledge, the station does not have a formal no-gun policy in the waiting area. I have not been there in years - used to send Christmas packages via Greyhound.
You're derailing the dialog to separate out whether a "gun-free" zone is a government mandate or a private policy. "Good guys and gals" are not going to carry in either place, which yields the same result, which is THE critical fact: ONLY CRIMINALS will have guns in these spaces.

If you exclude private policy defined zones, then you destroy the claim (John Lott*, among others) that [strike]in the past 50 years,[/strike] since at least 1950, all but two mass shootings have happened in "gun-free" zones. Reducing that number only helps to make the gun-haters point that somehow "gun-free" zones are effective.

TFred

* ETA: John Lott quote from linked article: "Since at least 1950, all but two public mass shootings in America have taken place where general citizens are banned from carrying guns."

Last edited:

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Like you TFred, when I think of "Gun Free Zones" my mind goes to those that are such by statute and / or by operator's rule, because carrying in either can result in the commission of a crime (trespassing at the least).

TFred

Like you TFred, when I think of "Gun Free Zones" my mind goes to those that are such by statute and / or by operator's rule, because carrying in either can result in the commission of a crime (trespassing at the least).
Closer but not quite there: Even if a person decided not to carry in a Target, simply because the management requested it, and even with no threat of arrest for trespass or even an uncomfortable confrontation, I would still consider that a "gun-free" zone if a shooting happened, because the policy, be it benign or criminal, influenced the fact that ONLY the criminal had the gun.

That's the only point that counts here.

TFred

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/va...limate/ar-BBrdTUW?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=mailsignout

Suspect taken alive ... died later ...

Even after police subdued the shooter, and as EMS workers aided him, he continued to be combative, police said. He died later at VCU Medical Center. His gun was recovered, police said.

Seems like the guy did not like the police.

State and national law enforcement advocates said they are increasingly concerned with an anti-police climate arising from a series of high-profile, racially-charged incidents that they say is getting police officers killed.

I don't agree with that statement ^^^

Repeater

Trooper was Assassinated?

I wondered if the perp was black and was a #BlackLivesMatter type of killing.

Well, now we know more about the suspect:

Richmond cop killer finally ID'd as black man

More here:

Cops identify Aurora man as gunman who killed Virginia state trooper

And here:

Richmond Greyhound Bus Station Shooter From Suburban Aurora, Illinois
Sources tell the station that the shooter, who was killed in an exchange of gunfire with police, is James Brown III, 34. Later Friday, police officially confirmed Brown was the gunman.

Brown had an extensive criminal record, including an attempted murder charge from 2001 for which he was sentenced to four years in prison, and was well known to police in Aurora.

After serving that sentence, was also convicted on separate cocaine and heroin charges and sent back to jail. He was also sentenced in 2011 on aggravated battery charges, according to Kane County arrest records.

So how did Brown get his gun?

brown-mug.jpg

[size=+2]James Brown, III - Prohibited Person[/size]

kenny

No it is not.

Excuse me, Greyhound says differently.

https://www.greyhound.com/en/help-and-info/travel-info/your-rights-rules-on-board

A few dos and don’ts for riding Greyhound

We have a few rules to help us keep everyone safe and happy on board (including you) so please respect these rules when you ride with us:

Please stay in your seat while the bus is moving. When we say 'enjoy your trip' we don't mean rolling half way down the bus if it needs to stop quickly.

There's no smoking allowed on the bus (it’s against federal law). But don't worry, our buses stop about every two hours so you can have a smoke outside.

Please don’t take photos, video or make audio recordings of Greyhound staff, equipment or procedures (most of us haven’t been to acting school and just want to do our jobs).

Absolutely no alcohol, drugs or weapons anywhere on the bus (including in your checked baggage).

This is a stickler for us – no unruly behavior on the bus. No shouting, being loud, or generally disturbing the driver or other passengers. Just chill out, be nice and enjoy the ride.

We don’t let animals on board (not even Greyhound puppies). The only exception is legitimate service animals riding together with a disabled person. For more information, see our Customers with Disabilities page.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Excuse me, Greyhound says differently.

https://www.greyhound.com/en/help-and-info/travel-info/your-rights-rules-on-board

A few dos and don’ts for riding Greyhound

We have a few rules to help us keep everyone safe and happy on board (including you) so please respect these rules when you ride with us:

Please stay in your seat while the bus is moving. When we say 'enjoy your trip' we don't mean rolling half way down the bus if it needs to stop quickly.

There's no smoking allowed on the bus (it’s against federal law). But don't worry, our buses stop about every two hours so you can have a smoke outside.

Please don’t take photos, video or make audio recordings of Greyhound staff, equipment or procedures (most of us haven’t been to acting school and just want to do our jobs).

Absolutely no alcohol, drugs or weapons anywhere on the bus (including in your checked baggage).

This is a stickler for us – no unruly behavior on the bus. No shouting, being loud, or generally disturbing the driver or other passengers. Just chill out, be nice and enjoy the ride.

We don’t let animals on board (not even Greyhound puppies). The only exception is legitimate service animals riding together with a disabled person. For more information, see our Customers with Disabilities page.
No Greyhound doesn't say differently - your reference/link is to being on a bus or in checked baggage, not a person in the terminal...i.e. picking up or dropping off a passenger.