• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

re the 520 opening festivities

zaitz

Banned
if you folks wish open carry, you might consider the bridge festivities on Saturday and Sunday . . .

rightwinglibertarian

I've given up trying to get anyone here interested in OC in Seattle. All I get are reasons not to or silence. We're just very lucky WA isnt as restricted as CA or NY or just about any New England state. It would serve us right for our negligence.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

Freedom1Man

I've given up trying to get anyone here interested in OC in Seattle. All I get are reasons not to or silence. We're just very lucky WA isnt as restricted as CA or NY or just about any New England state. It would serve us right for our negligence.

I have done OC in Seattle. I need a new holster and then I will be back to it.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

zaitz

Banned

\

before I found that it was prohibited by the smc I did some open carry of an airsoft and now I am doing open carry of a karambit when I walk at Greenlake on most sunny and/or warm days.

People are so far normally unconcerned.

rightwinglibertarian

\

before I found that it was prohibited by the smc I did some open carry of an airsoft and now I am doing open carry of a karambit when I walk at Greenlake on most sunny and/or warm days.

People are so far normally unconcerned.

Arms does not have to be a firearm. Your airsoft is legal under the 2A and may even violate state preemption. But of course the safest thing to carry is an actual gun. Fully loaded and chambered and ready to go. Just pray you never have to use it.

EDIT Here we go http://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/273749-supreme-court-overturns-stun-gun-ban

While less popular than handguns, stun guns are widely owned and accepted as a legitimate means of self-defense across the country,” Justice Samuel Alito wrote. "Massachusetts’ categorical ban of such weapons therefore violates the Second Amendment.

It's not much of a stretch to extend that to other things. But of course it's a lot simpler just to accept the 2A as it is instead of playing games

Last edited:

decklin

Perhaps you're unaware but Vermont and Maine are both Constitutional Carry and New Hampshire is trying again.

rightwinglibertarian

Perhaps you're unaware but Vermont and Maine are both Constitutional Carry and New Hampshire is trying again.

Vermont, Maine and I want to say Nevada or Arizona and Alaska. But thats beside the point. The point is if we actually believed the Constitution then the only logical option is to declare that all 50 states must by default be Constitutional Carry. The fact that people have accepted otherwise shows they are not true 2A supporters with respect to bearing arms as well as recognising the fact they are Militia and have a duty as citizens to protect this nation from within and without

Jeff Hayes

Lots of people OC in Seattle I have every time I have been there for years.

Batousaii

Re: Seattle

I've open carried in Seattle more times than I can remember. Never had any real issues. Even won a debate with a police officer (Ken) that ended in a handshake and was thanked for the good info.

Last edited:

zaitz

Banned
I've open carried in Seattle more times than I can remember. Never had any real issues. Even won a debate with a police officer (Ken) that ended in a handshake and was thanked for the good info.

Well, should you or we consider an informal table set up at the u-district street fair without paying for a booth . . . and/or a table on the walking paths leading to the Fremont Solstice fair areas?

Especially at Fremont and to a lesser extent at the u-district street fair, there have been times that people set up a table and do things, without having paid or reserved a spot . . . and they are there until someone gives them some very strong reason for having to leave the area . . . I think I see it every year at the Fremont Fair and I am pretty sure I have seen that type of thing at times at the u-district street fair.

z

rightwinglibertarian

well if enough people are interested in doing something, i'd love to join y'all. But over the summer is best as my housing situation is such I am prohibited from carrying. No, don't ask for details, all i'll say is they have that right.
It may be better to arrange it off forum though as the restrictions make it difficult to sort some details.

solus

Well, should you or we consider an informal table set up at the u-district street fair without paying for a booth . . . and/or a table on the walking paths leading to the Fremont Solstice fair areas?

Especially at Fremont and to a lesser extent at the u-district street fair, there have been times that people set up a table and do things, without having paid or reserved a spot . . . and they are there until someone gives them some very strong reason for having to leave the area . . . I think I see it every year at the Fremont Fair and I am pretty sure I have seen that type of thing at times at the u-district street fair.

z

you going to open carry your knife? or airsoft ?

ipse

badger54

If you plan on OC'ing a knife inside Seattle be careful. State preemption does not cover knifes and Seattle has restrictions on knife carry inside city limits.

zaitz

Banned
If you plan on OC'ing a knife inside Seattle be careful. State preemption does not cover knifes and Seattle has restrictions on knife carry inside city limits.

The knife I carry is a Seattle-legal knife sheathed in such a way that to the untrained or casual observer, it appears as a non-legal-by-Seattle standards law knife. However, I have been suing the city of Seattle to have their anti-knife-carry laws found unconstitutional.

The first day that was I open-carrying the knife, I stopped in at the downtown police HQ and I left a note for the North precinct that they might get calls about me re the knife. I was in the presence of the police hq front desk guy and I asked him directly, do you wish or need to see this? and he said no

and then I knife-open-carried for the next hour or two while walking downtown.

because of the decisions seattle v Evans and Caetano v Massachusetts, I don't believe that Seattle can actually enforce its anti-knife-laws against knifes which are designed as weapons. But you can sue without being arrested first . . .

I have since knife-open-carried nearly a dozen times while walking at Greenlake in my usual next to nothings. Seattle has an online crime map. On none of the days of knife-open-carry was there a 911 call put on the online crime map in reference to me, either in reference to alleged indecent exposure or in reference to man with a weapon.

It has happened a few times that the knife has fallen out of its upside down sheath. I do what I can to prevent that now, but it still might happen.

On Wednesday, after about 7 knife-open-carry walks, there was a single spd on bike patrol who zipped past me at one point.

On Thursday, I walked twice around the lake, which is twice my usual but it was a very good experience. Near the ending, there was a fellow with a black t-shirt and no obvious weapons and with the word "police" in white printed on the front and back of the black t-shirt. For a little bit he was in front of me and then he exited the walking path and turned and looked at me intently. I said hello and he replied with How are you?

I assume that there is some way that some people call spd to let them know I am at the lake without it being a 911 call or being recorded as such. Seattle police are mostly reconciled it appears to my forms of attire. Whether he was of spd or another agency or a guy who had bought a police t-shirt, I do not know.

He kind of walked along a bit somewhat behind me for the next half mile or so and then as I was exiting the lake near N 65th, he nearly followed me to the exit point of the lake. I did not know if he was following me to be more isolated and confront or arrest me when we were separated from the dozens of the people on the walking path, or if he was tracking me for other reasons.

Anyway, on foot, walking, he broke off his leisurely follow of my leisurely walk near my exit point from the lake. Perhaps he figured that if there was any danger to lake visitors that day, it was over, and perhaps he figured he could get my vehicle information from other sources or perhaps he didn't wish to make his following more obvious.

Of course, perhaps he was really following me to see if I have to tie my shoelaces while next to a woman on a bench in a skirt . . . although my shoes do not have shoelaces.

Later it occurred to me that I could have engaged him in a slight bit more conversation but very neutral, by asking he did chi sau or Siu Lim Tao and if we should practice briefly.

On other occasions, I've invited some of these guys to have lunch with me . . . and when I was not carrying regularly or at all, I had an hour conversation with the local public outreach fellow for the area.

The guy's black t-shirt made me wonder if it was for some tactical unit, but I don't know. I don't see any photographs that depict the t-shirt as he was wearing it.

Anyway, after day 1 of closer observation by the fellow in the police-marked-t-shirt, it will become a poor use of their resources to repeatedly observe me, if in fact that guy was on-duty.

rightwinglibertarian

Apart from the fact that arms does not have to mean guns. This was ruled not to long ago and as it is certainly pursuant to the Constitution it is valid. I'm quite sure once I get out from my rather restrictive accommodation, I will have quite a lot of fun carrying, considering I work in Capitol Hill and live downtown. I'm probably going to have to download the Tune-in Android app and listen to SPD because I know someone will make a complaint. I will then listen to dispatch to see if they are honest and hopefully get some kind of warning before I get mobbed and possibly murdered in cold blood. Getting a Go-Pro probably isnt a bad idea either. So where abouts do you carry? I would love to start a Seattle OC experience thread if there were enough people.

zaitz

Banned
Apart from the fact that arms does not have to mean guns. This was ruled not to long ago and as it is certainly pursuant to the Constitution it is valid. I'm quite sure once I get out from my rather restrictive accommodation, I will have quite a lot of fun carrying, considering I work in Capitol Hill and live downtown. I'm probably going to have to download the Tune-in Android app and listen to SPD because I know someone will make a complaint. I will then listen to dispatch to see if they are honest and hopefully get some kind of warning before I get mobbed and possibly murdered in cold blood. Getting a Go-Pro probably isnt a bad idea either. So where abouts do you carry? I would love to start a Seattle OC experience thread if there were enough people.

In 2015, before I had read the smc re airsofts I open carried an airsoft on several occasions while walking downtown or on Capitol hill.

I did not OC simply for the purpose of OC, but I added OC to other walking I was doing that day.

I actually don't think that complaints are that often. I was in black and black and the holster and airsoft were black and not a lot of people noticed, including gym front desk staff and friends and acquaintances who are JWs at their magazine racks.

I walk at Greenlake often. Would you like to OC at Greenlake? I am OCing with the knife anyway . . .

I don't think that ordinary persons will be mobbing or killing you.

Last edited:

rightwinglibertarian

In 2015, before I had read the smc re airsofts I open carried an airsoft on several occasions while walking downtown or on Capitol hill.

I did not OC simply for the purpose of OC, but I added OC to other walking I was doing that day.

I actually don't think that complaints are that often. I was in black and black and the holster and airsoft were black and not a lot of people noticed, including gym front desk staff and friends and acquaintances who are JWs at their magazine racks.

I walk at Greenlake often. Would you like to OC at Greenlake? I am OCing with the knife anyway . . .

I don't think that ordinary persons will be mobbing or killing you.

1) check your PMs

2) a handgun is a lot better. The knife affords far less protection and unless you really have the money to challenge the law, i'd be careful

3) there are still parks with illegal no gun signs so it would be even more beneficial to disobey them and carry anyway.

zaitz

Banned
1) check your PMs

2) a handgun is a lot better. The knife affords far less protection and unless you really have the money to challenge the law, i'd be careful

3) there are still parks with illegal no gun signs so it would be even more beneficial to disobey them and carry anyway.

choosing a knife or a handgun depending on one or more factors for some people.

No need to imply there is only one good answer, because different people have different situations and different purposes.

decklin

1) check your PMs

Normally I would say a handgun is better. But seeing as how he apparently is ok with dropping his knife...

rightwinglibertarian

This forum advocates for only those who abide by what we are told is law. It does not accept the Constitution as final and those that do must either keep it to themselves or face penalties. I do the latter as I'm an American.