• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

an information booth at ???

zaitz

Banned
If an open carry group will have an info booth at a farmer's market and if you folks wish to spread the word . . .

why do we not consider an info booth at one or more of the main summertime fairs and festivals that have booths, such as the West Seattle festival whatever it is called, the Fremont parade and fair, the Lake city festival, the U-district street fair, etc.?

Paying for a booth would cost money, but you can also circulate in the vast majority of these fairs and festivals for free without a booth and simply with literature . . .

davidmcbeth

Banned
You gonna tell them that carry is a natural right not subject to regulation or is it going to be an anti-information booth.

decklin

We have several prominent members that host informational booths.
As they put so well, "Citizenship is a verb."

zaitz

Banned
We have several prominent members that host informational booths.
As they put so well, "Citizenship is a verb."

That may be. I am often at a variety of Seattle fairs, festivals and parades, with a few additional ones from the Eastside, in any given summer. Sometimes none on the Eastside, sometimes a few.

I am at the Solstice parade every year or nearly every year. I am at Folklife every year. I am at the u-district street fair about half the years, but more often more recently. At least at the fairs, festivals and parades I visit, which would include the Kirkland auto show once in a while, and a Bellevue event once in a while, I don't remember having come across anyone doing any informational sharing re carry.

Also, since I just did the study on the aftereffects of various self-protective actions during a rape, and I have not seen anyone distributing that information or anything equivalent, I can tell you I would surely have remembered the completed rape statistics of such a study . . . and no one seems to be distributing that information--at least, not out in public at any fairs, festivals or parades.

The spd has an account called the spd blotter which puts some videos on youtube. One of them is of a man who is being menaced by one or two African Americans. It is entitled, simply, Assault. The man is at first backing away from one of them and then he is just standing with his hands at his sides while the menacing AA gets within arms distance of the man and seems to bump him without response. The AA then moves to a slightly different position and smashes the guy with a punch and the man falls over and to the side about 8 feet. The other AA then approaches and picks him up and throws and guides and smashes the guy into a wall or post.

(The spd has another video out of some persons fighting and the person who has knocked the other to the ground stomps on the head of the one on the ground. That is two women fighting.)

From where we first see the guy to the first punch is about 20 seconds of the man 1) moving about for no strong seeming reason; 2) not drawing any weapons; 3) having his hands sometimes up and sometimes down; 4) after the 20 seconds of interaction by retreating, while his hands are down, being punched and then smashed into a wall or post.

Now, like the several rape situations in which if a woman has drawn a firearm or a "non-gun weapon," the aggressors have a strong incentive to not continue after the likely victim has drawn a weapon.

For some reason, spd blotter puts up this video and no one talks about the fact that the man has 20 seconds in which he could either have been drawing a weapon or at least have held his arm up and somewhat extended to make it slightly more difficult for the attacker to reach him with a blow.

Oh, and by the way, during the 20-some seconds that this is going on, there is another fellow who is watching and who seems to be on the phone with someone who I presume is 911.

The people of Seattle or at least certain neighborhoods are pretty badly complaining about increased assaults, increased hate crimes and increased rapes. There is allegedly a crime wave or a crime increase and maybe it is because Seattle is having summers that are warmer than usual and so more people are out after dark or because some more people have recently been released from prison and they have converged on downtown and/or Capitol hill.

Here we have an assault with 20 seconds advance notice of the significant likelihood of danger. The man thinks he will defuse two AAs who are menacing him by standing in the same place with arms at his sides and nearly without moving and then being sent flying from a punch and sent flying or smashed into a wall or post.

Apparently neither he nor the fellow with the cell phone had any weapons at all . . . and presumably no pepper spray . . . and little or no visits to any self-defense classes. The man perhaps could have used items in his pockets as weapons if needed . . . but he was out of it once he was hit.

So, in the dark of night while somewhat lighted by the light of a storefront, how is it that "we" give a guy 20 seconds notice he is serious danger and he gets smashed?

It seems that Daniel Goodman and his friends and/or James Ritter and/or Sean Whitcomb could offer some helpful thoughts and that fraction of Seattle assaults which are preceded by 20 seconds warning of danger might be prevent with the attackers retreating at the sign or drawing of a weapon.

but, at the Fremont Fair and at the u-district fair and at every other parade, fair and festival from St. Patricks day in March to the Thanksgiving or Black Friday parade of Macy's in November . . . in either Seattle or in Bellevue or Kirkland . . . or in Mercer Island, no one who thinks that this was a good self-defense idea encourages weapons possession or weapons use . . . even to the point of pepper spray or a pencil or pen or the use of one's car keys.

It can cost a few hundred to a few thousand dollars to have a booth at these things . . . I am not in a position to be paying for one.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
That may be. I am often at a variety of Seattle fairs, festivals and parades, with a few additional ones from the Eastside, in any given summer. Sometimes none on the Eastside, sometimes a few.

It can cost a few hundred to a few thousand dollars to have a booth at these things . . . I am not in a position to be paying for one.

That just depends on how involved your are in your location. Some of us go to gun shows to preach to the choir. We talk to them about open carrying the pistol they already carry. Funds come from our pockets.

Some go to non-gun events and attempt to bring new members into the fold. Funds come from our pockets.

As Decklin stated, Citizenship is a Verb. What are YOU going to do about it zaitz?

For those who do set up and carry the word, I have brochures. For those who want their own banners and signs, I can direct you to where they can be had on the cheep. I also have T-shirts with the Washington OC logo that come from the same place.

zaitz

Banned
That just depends on how involved your are in your location. Some of us go to gun shows to preach to the choir. We talk to them about open carrying the pistol they already carry. Funds come from our pockets.

Some go to non-gun events and attempt to bring new members into the fold. Funds come from our pockets.

As Decklin stated, Citizenship is a Verb. What are YOU going to do about it zaitz?

For those who do set up and carry the word, I have brochures. For those who want their own banners and signs, I can direct you to where they can be had on the cheep. I also have T-shirts with the Washington OC logo that come from the same place.

you folks already know that I am suing the city of seattle and soon to be washington state about their anti-knife-carrying laws.

If someone helps me figure out what law or regulation forbids campus carry, I will include that.

mnrobitaille

Generally, if memory serves me right, all the Seafair events are operated by the Seafair Organizing Committee. In order to exhibit or do any handing out of information at any Seafair Event, you must go to: Become an Exhibitor

Most festivals/fairs have a similar structure, where in order to do a booth/exhibit or even distribute information, you must fill out information & submit it to them.

zaitz

Banned
Generally, if memory serves me right, all the Seafair events are operated by the Seafair Organizing Committee. In order to exhibit or do any handing out of information at any Seafair Event, you must go to: Become an Exhibitor

Most festivals/fairs have a similar structure, where in order to do a booth/exhibit or even distribute information, you must fill out information & submit it to them.

I can tell you that I go to the Fremont fair every year and I have gone to the u-district street fairs most years and sure, there are people who are in booths and they have all been approved and there are other people who simply set up a table on the outskirts where people are passing by to and from the main areas . . .
and I can also tell you that I have myself distributed literature at the u-district street fair without prior approval or permission for other causes . . .

and there are a few fellows who are at times downtown at 3rd and pine advocating for the Nation of Islam and there is another batch at a different corner advocating in some years for Lyndon LaRouche and I am pretty sure that they didn't get anyone's permission to distribute their nation of Islam literature or their lyndon Larouche literature, just as I didn't get or need anyone's permission for several years when I distributed Christian literature at the U-district street fair . . . and once every few years, there are others who do Christian sharing or literature distribution at the Street Fair and/or at Folklife and/or at the Solstice parade and fair.

Some of them have paid for a booth and some of them are just there in some way without a booth.

Do you not believe me?

I am paid some of the year to do public outreach at some of these things outside of booth.

Every year in Seattle there is the 4th of July and there are people who gather at Gas Works park and in various years at Gas works park there have been persons distributing literature of various types: Christian, pro-humane-chicken-raising policies and anti-smart-electric-meters and others. I would not even know there was a controversy about "smart meters" other than that I was given a flier about it at Gas works park on the 4th of July 1 or 2 years ago. I am pretty sure that the people doing the literature distribution re anti-smart-meters didn't ask some authority in advance before giving out their fliers.

They gave them out until they were out or until they were stopped or asked to leave . . . and the people doing the chicken raising thing were there for a long time . . .

In the case of some Seafair events, some people get around the approval problem by having a table or giving out their literature to the people in the lines outside of the entry gate. I've done it and so have many others.

z

Last edited:

Boomboy007

There actually IS a very involved outreach member in our Whatcom county community: MSG Laigaie. Every year he organizes an Open Carry picnic at a local park on Lake Whatcom. He also sets up a booth at several disparate events, from motorcycle rallies to gay pride festivals. The rest of us tend to ride his coattails a bit, but we do take part.

If you do not see like minded folks in your area, start by strapping up, buying a T-shirt, grabbing some flyers, and getting out there and spreading the word.

One word of (unsolicited) advice: Do it with a smile and a good attitude, even when met with hostile negativity. Giving in to one's completely natural impulse to respond in kind to some anti's nastiness will not sway them, and will make other onlookers discount your position. Let THEM look like the crazy ones!

Last edited:

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
anti-knife-carrying laws..

I don't do "knives and most of us don't carry them for defense. I have had "several" knife fights, I am here, they are not.

There is a reason for the adage, "Don't bring a knife to a gunfight"

Part one: The rest of us tend to ride his coattails a bit, but we do take part.

Part two: If you do not see like minded folks in your area, start by strapping up, buying a T-shirt, grabbing some flyers, and getting out there and spreading the word.

On Part one, I am not alone and you guys don't "ride" anything. You all work just as hard to keep OCing in a good light to the local Community. SVG Paid for the Oyster Run gig out of his own pocket last year and the numbers are big on that one.

Part two: Z, stop whining and get off your butt. You cry about nothing being done, but YOU don't do anything yourself. "Build it and They will come", is a working phrase. I live in the North and I (and a great many of others) work OC in my neighborhood. You live in seattle. Work your neighborhood.

The Oyster Run is a Statewide event. If you choose to participate in this project we could use help from any OCers in the State.

Jeff Hayes

\

Part two: Z, stop whining and get off your butt. You cry about nothing being done, but YOU don't do anything yourself. "Build it and They will come", is a working phrase. I live in the North and I (and a great many of others) work OC in my neighborhood. You live in seattle. Work your neighborhood.

Spot on, the problem is it is always a few percent that carry the load and the other people. I have come to accept that be it OC, Boy Scouts, Little League, Soccer, the gun club or any other group you can think of.

zaitz

Banned

I don't recall whining.

I do a small bit to promote public education, because we are all better off with a more educated public.

You write that I won't do anything myself. . . I have a suspicion that between the two of us, I know my life a bit better than you do . . .

and you have just convicted yourself of lying, in the mind of the one you are seemingly attempting to persuade.

God show you the right way!

solus

I don't recall whining.

I do a small bit to promote public education, because we are all better off with a more educated public.

You write that I won't do anything myself. . . I have a suspicion that between the two of us, I know my life a bit better than you do . . .

and you have just convicted yourself of lying, in the mind of the one you are seemingly attempting to persuade.

God show you the right way!

yes Z as you have stated on other threads...i can see where you stating 'sometimes' open carrying your knife on your walks would be doing a small bit...

little harsh to call an individual a liar and then invoke a myth to provide guidance...last time i heard...the myth was forgiving of such transgressions...

ipse

rightwinglibertarian

The fact is, this is an open carry forum. While i'm sure there are unconstitutional degrees with regards to knives and other arms, our focus in firearms. It's hard enough to get people to accept our absolute right to bear arms without adding goodness knows how many other things.

zaitz

Banned
The fact is, this is an open carry forum. While i'm sure there are unconstitutional degrees with regards to knives and other arms, our focus in firearms. It's hard enough to get people to accept our absolute right to bear arms without adding goodness knows how many other things.

someone has been complaining that no one will get together with him or her for open carry.

I indicated that I would be happy to join such a person on a walk at Greenlake.

You would feel the effect is sufficient if there is one fellow walking with a firearm and another with a knife?

Ok . . . then . . .

the guy with the firearm who wants to find a partner or helper and can't find one can simply not intentionally OC and I will continue to knife OC while I am walking at Greenlake.

I will have my usual fun with my free hugs sign and occasional photos . . . and if and when someone will some companionship in carry or conversation, I am there most days of reasonably good weather . . . 58 and above and no rain . . .

Who is the fellow who has posted he wished to do some intentional group OC in Seattle and no one could be found to join him?

Hey, if you don't like Greenlake, we could walk at the u-district street fair or the Solstice parade as spectators . . .

rightwinglibertarian

You know I can't carry due to my housing situation. When I can carry it will probably be in whatever area I live in, or downtown. I'm not going to try to use a knife like a light sabre and deflect bullets [emoji14]

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk