• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can CCW permit holders carry openly when visiting open carry states?

Grayman

I have a concealed carry permit in my home state of Florida. While there's been a bill floating around since forever about making Florida open carry, it has not happened yet.

I travel around by car quite a bit, mostly through the southeastern states, and reciprocity applies in almost every place I ever go. That information has been pretty easy to find. So I know I can carry concealed in (for example) Georgia, but Georgia is an open carry state so since I have a permit to concealed carry in Florida, can I open carry in Georgia?

I'm going to guess it varies, but it's not as easy to find out compared to getting a list for concealed reciprocity.

solus

welcome...NC you do not even need to rely on your fancy government pass to OC here...

welcome to the forum

ipse

jackrockblc

I have a concealed carry permit in my home state of Florida. While there's been a bill floating around since forever about making Florida open carry, it has not happened yet.

I travel around by car quite a bit, mostly through the southeastern states, and reciprocity applies in almost every place I ever go. That information has been pretty easy to find. So I know I can carry concealed in (for example) Georgia, but Georgia is an open carry state so since I have a permit to concealed carry in Florida, can I open carry in Georgia?

I'm going to guess it varies, but it's not as easy to find out compared to getting a list for concealed reciprocity.

For each state you visit, check out that site linked by color of law, above. It's kept about as up-to-date as can be, cites its statutes, and uses plain language whenever possible.

In short, each state you visit will have a varying answer. In my state of Colorado, for example, visitors can open carry outside of Denver. Visitors who have a non-resident permit cannot conceal carry (CO doesn't recognize or issue non-resident permits). Visitors with valid resident permits can conceal carry like any other resident of this state.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Moved this to the Florida sub-forum as residency there is the one thing consistent with the question(s).

As others have said you will need to check the laws and circumstances of each state - there is no universal yes or no.

As a quick guide, you can take a glance at:
http://www.opencarry.org/maps/map-open-carry-of-a-properly-holstered-loaded-handgun/

If you are not a restricted person and are at least 21 yo, you may OC in most places in Virginia by virtue of there being no law regarding OC specifically. Our concealed reciprocity is presently in a state of disaster - most agreements were recently cancelled by our anti-attorney general.

Nothing will beat reading the actual laws of each state you will be visiting.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I know of no states (of those free states that allow unlicensed open carry) where one must conceal when they have a permit, regardless of where the permit is from.

If you have an out-of-state driver's license are you still allowed to be a passenger in a state that recognizes it?

Fallschirjmäger

You're always subject to the laws of the State you are in, not the one you are from.

To be otherwise would be like someone from NY asking "I'm visiting Arizona and I know the speed limit is 70mph on the Interstate but NY has a limit of 55mph. Is it legal for me to drive 70 even though New York limits me to 55?"

So, yes, it's perfectly legal for you to openly carry a pistol in Georgia... provided that you are in possession of a valid firearms license from a state having reciprocity with Georgia (and the only local state that doesn't is South Carolina.)
Funny thing, but due to some incidents in the last few years, the local constabulary no longer has the authority to detain a person solely to determine if that person has a valid license.

gflrmap.png

Image courtesy of GeorgiaPacking.Org

Last edited:

Wstar425

I travel about 36 states regularly. As mentioned, the only thing consistent between states is that nothing is consistent between states. Not only that, but the rules in New Mexico, for example, for a Wisconsin resident are different than for a Minnesota resident. More so for concealed, but leave nothing to chance.

Should you ever venture as far north as Wisconsin, you can open carry here without any kind of license, permit, or permission slip, resident or not. You only need be 21 and not a felon. Law enforcement can "ask" to see ID, but lacking some suspicion you are committing a crime, you are not required to show it. So, how would they know where you live then? Seems to be quite a few states that operate like this.

Ironically, if you are concealing, and they notice, they CAN ask to see your CCL/whatever and you are required to show it.

The takeaway is that as you have found, this is all way more complicated than it should be. Not sure of the answer. Driver Licenses and Marriage Licenses are honored across state lines, why not Firearm Licenses? Short of the Fed.gov making it so, I don't see it happening. But, that's a whole nother can of worms!

Something that is a Constitutional Right is given less authority than things that are not. But, that apparently is the inside out, upside down, backwards world we live in right now. Our Federql government has their fingers in all kinds of things they have no authority to do, while at the same time not doing the things they are supposed to be doing! Ok, rant over!��

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

I travel about 36 states regularly. As mentioned, the only thing consistent between states is that nothing is consistent between states. Not only that, but the rules in New Mexico, for example, for a Wisconsin resident are different than for a Minnesota resident.
Now, that's interesting. Could you give us an example of how the rules in NM are different for WS and MN residents?

Driver Licenses and Marriage Licenses are honored across state lines, why not Firearm Licenses? Short of the Fed.gov making it so, I don't see it happening. But, that's a whole 'nother can of worms!
It's a worrisome and weird thing.
Full Faith & Cred clause ( The Constitution, Art. IV, Sec. 1.)
“Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State. And the Congress may by general Laws prescribe the Manner in which such Acts, Records and Proceedings shall be proved, and the Effect thereof.”

It's clear that all public acts from one state should be recognized in any other state; birth records, marriage records, death notices, divorce rulings, driver's licenses. One must ask, why are firearms licenses the exception when they are issued under the same authority as a driving license?

Malum tried to explain it once, but I lacked the ability to fully comprehend.

Wstar425

Well, talking firearm rules......

Sure, NM honors a MN permit, but not a WI license. So, I can open carry there but not conceal with only a WI License. If I lived across the state line and had a MN permit I'd be good to go in NM concealed.

So, my point is, it isn't just about where you are going TO, but also about where you are coming from. No mere mortal can keep all this straight for 50 states, with 50 possible different starting points.

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

Well, talking firearm rules......

Sure, NM honors a MN permit, but not a WI license. So, I can open carry there but not conceal with only a WI License. If I lived across the state line and had a MN permit I'd be good to go in NM concealed.

So, my point is, it isn't just about where you are going TO, but also about where you are coming from. No mere mortal can keep all this straight for 50 states, with 50 possible different starting points.
We're just using different terminology to say the same thing, essentially.
"Is my license recognized by X state?" and there are only two possible answers; Yes or No. The rules are exactly the same for each Yes state and exactly the same for each No state. Only the question of reciprocity remains.

The reason you can "only open carry in NM with my WI license" hasn't a dang thing to do with it being from Wisconsin. You can carry there because New Mexico is a traditional (no license required) Open Carry state.

Last edited:

JoeSparky

Centurion
Well said. The solution though is not federal tyranny preemption. See Lucy snatch Charlie Brown's football away AGAIN, BOHICA.

I recently drove Bohicket Road on Johns Island, SC a number of times, to notice an address, "1700 BOHICA."

Gotta disagree with you here.... Since per the Declaration of Independence one of the PRIMARY purposes of GOVERNMENT is to secure certain rights and protections for the People.... It is in my opinion a very proper role of the federal government to prevent any level of government from infringing on ANY of our US Constitutionally protected rights! Note that this would be a restriction on GOVERNMENT at all levels and NOT on the People!

Now if we could just get the Feds to Stop infringing on any of our Rights to begin with!:banghead:

Last edited:

ADulay

It's clear that all public acts from one state should be recognized in any other state; birth records, marriage records, death notices, divorce rulings, driver's licenses.

One must ask, why are firearms licenses the exception when they are issued under the same authority as a driving license?

Good question.

The complete mish-mash of state laws regarding anything "gun" related is mind boggling for sure.

AD

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Unless you have a permit issued by the state you happening to be standing in at the time, however, it violates Federal law to possess a loaded firearm openly or concealed on public property within 1000' of the premises of a school.

[Sarc] But it's not an infringement, it's just reasonable regulation. [/Sarc]

Is this enforced in Florida? Washington? It's not in most free states. It's completely ignored in Nevada, Utah, Arizona, etc.

In fact, I know of no states where it is enforced unless there is a matching state law (Michigan, maybe?). By "enforced," I mean as a primary crime for detainment, not as an added charge to someone already being a bad guy.

As for the details of the law itself, if you are going to bring it up, it does not require the firearm to be loaded, and does require reasonable cause to believe you are in the "school zone." Not surprisingly, this is one of Joe Biden's brainchildren.

There is also debate as to whether the permit must be issued by the local state, but, yes, you are in the majority opinion.