• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

United States v. Olofson

exelci

Hello all,

I ran in to this old news story as i was browsing online. I would like to start an intelectual debate and know what you'all think about it.
PRISON TERM FOR 'BROKEN GUN' CASE ENDS

A man convicted of transferring an unregistered machine gun after his loaned gun fired a burst of bullets and jammed has been released from his 30-month prison term to begin rebuilding his life, according to supporters.

Gun Owners of America confirmed today that David Olofson was released.

“David Olofson has been subjected to a gross miscarriage of justice,” the organization’s announcement said. “What happened to Olofson could happen to any American who owns a semi-automatic firearm.”

“It didn’t matter the government had repeatedly failed to replicate automatic fire until they replaced the ammunition with a softer primer type. It didn’t even matter that the prosecution admitted it was not important to prove the gun would do it again if the test were conducted today,” the magazine said. “What mattered was the government’s position that none of the above was relevant because ‘[T]here’s no indication it makes any difference under the statute. If you pull the trigger once and it fires more than one round, no matter what the cause it’s a machine gun."
http://mobile.wnd.com/2011/04/289181/

“No matter what the cause.”

Last edited by a moderator:

Have Gun - Will Carry

Hello all,

I ran in to this old news story as i was browsing online. I would like to start an intelectual debate and know what you'all think about it.

Original news story said:
"... If you pull the trigger once and it fires more than one round, no matter what the cause it’s a machine gun."

“No matter what the cause.”

What happened to David Olofson is BS... A travesty of justice... Perfect example of why "zero tolerance" policies are stupid and don't work... Crap like this simply should not happen in an ostensibly free country, but it does...

And unfortunately, it's now the way the Injustice System in our country functions. How pathetic.

Not to mention scary.

Ezek

What happened to David Olofson is BS... A travesty of justice... Perfect example of why "zero tolerance" policies are stupid and don't work... Crap like this simply should not happen in an ostensibly free country, but it does...

And unfortunately, it's now the way the Injustice System in our country functions. How pathetic.

Not to mention scary.

I don't think the law was ever meant to be passed as a zero tolerance policy, I believe the application was ment to be used with common sense.

if it fired multiple rounds, jammed, and then he cleared it, put it back in it's carrying case and stopped using it, then that eliminates the intent to use it as a machine gun, or have it fire as such, visiting a gunsmith to figure out what the problem is is also evidence to the lack of intent to commit a crime.

the judge and the witnesses/enforcement officers are not using common sense, they are just looking for a conviction with the prosecuting attorney

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
Incredible, and a blatant miscarriage of justice.

I was attending an AR-15 class at the NRA Range. As the last live-fire exercise the instructor lined the class up and told us to load a 30-round magazine and, on command, fire as fast as we could (while controlling the muzzle -- he wanted us to experience how fast the AR could cycle and still remain on target). After my first 9 semi-auto-fired rounds, my AR went full auto for about 4 rounds and then stopped. I fired another several rounds semi-auto and the AR then went full auto for another three rounds. The instructor had me make the AR safe and advised me to take it to my gunsmith.

After I explained the above situation to my gunsmith, he examined the trigger group and discovered that the hammer pin had broken and worked its way loose enough to cant the hammer in such a way that it could not catch the sear and kept firing until it had vibrated back into position. Replacing the hammer pin took about 5 minutes and my AR has not malfunctioned since.

The point of my story is that a firearm has to be DESIGNED as a machine gun in order to BE a machine gun. Just because a firearm part breaks and the firearm malfunctions does not make it a "machine gun." This is what happens when prosecutors who are ignorant of firearm construction and operation try to apply the law.

Last edited:

Ezek

I think, OC, that the reason for gutshot requesting a cite is because in a court of law, opinions, aside from the judges, mean jack squat.

the fact we have a human who's opinion can preside over law, common sense, and someone's life essentially is, IMO what is broken in this system.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
26 USC 5845(b) Machinegun
The term ‘‘machinegun’’ means any weapon which shoots, is designed to shoot, or can be readily restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger. The term shall also include the frame or receiver of any such weapon, any part designed and intended solely and exclusively, or combination of parts designed and intended, for use in converting a weapon into a machinegun, and any combination of parts from which a machinegun can be assembled if such parts are in the possession or under the control of a person.
Malfunction is not excluded.

Have Gun - Will Carry

... Perfect example of why "zero tolerance" policies are stupid and don't work...

I don't think the law was ever meant to be passed as a zero tolerance policy, I believe the application was ment to be used with common sense.

if it fired multiple rounds, jammed, and then he cleared it, put it back in it's carrying case and stopped using it, then that eliminates the intent to use it as a machine gun, or have it fire as such, visiting a gunsmith to figure out what the problem is is also evidence to the lack of intent to commit a crime.

the judge and the witnesses/enforcement officers are not using common sense, they are just looking for a conviction with the prosecuting attorney

I didn't mean the law was ever intended to be zero tolerance, simply that it ended up being applied in that way. The ATF decided that they would prosecute him as if it were a ZT policy, even knowing that it was not intentionally modified to fire multiple rounds with a single trigger pull.

After all, they need to scare the average American into believing they will be prosecuted for merely wanting a gun to fire full-auto! [/sarc]

solus

I didn't mean the law was ever intended to be zero tolerance, simply that it ended up being applied in that way. The ATF decided that they would prosecute him as if it were a ZT policy, even knowing that it was not intentionally modified to fire multiple rounds with a single trigger pull.

After all, they need to scare the average American into believing they will be prosecuted for merely wanting a gun to fire full-auto! [/sarc]

hummm olofson has been prosecuted, i do not believe he is scared into believing...

ipse

Whitney

NFA Items

NFA Items are no joke. The citation in this case would likely be a "letter ruling" by the BATF, you can not cite a letter ruling as law. Letter rulings are basically crap because they can be changed on a whim.

If you have dabbled in NFA items you may recall a couple of laughable incidents where the BATF issued a letter ruling claiming a shoestring is a machine gun, and also stated "Chore Boy" pot scrubbers were NFA items.

NO JOKE ! ATF classifies Chore Boy pot scrubber pads NFA firearms

I am not convinced Olofson fully understood the ramifications, yet ignorance of the law..........

If you are altering or manufacturing firearms get into the books and publications the BATF puts on their website.

~Whitney

KBCraig

The danger in any law is not its intent, but how it may be used by someone who only cares about getting a conviction.

OC for ME

gutshot - Please supply a cite of federal law or ATF regulation that backs that up.
It seems that that was done, so to speak, in the op linked article.

The government even, in Olofson’s case, applied a definition “contrary to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives own definition in a guide to law enforcement,” Titus had argued.
Did you read the linked story in the op?

I am not claiming that it is true or false, he is. ...
Then what's your point in asking for a cite? Either his contention is correct, or it is incorrect, there is no "maybe it's a machine gun" option.