Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Non-resident Permit...HELP!

  1. #1
    Regular Member Superlite27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    God's Country, Missouri

    Non-resident Permit...HELP!

    Even though I have been carrying in Minnesota for about a decade, your state has recently dropped reciprocity with Missouri due to the fact that Missouri now issues CCW permits to lawful citizens under the age of 21.

    As I have friends in Grand Forks, ND that I often visit, I travel to East GF and Crookston to see their families whenever I am there. My cousin and I are planning a two week vacation to northern Minnesota this fall. Therefore, I am interested in applying for a Minnesota Non-resident CCW permit.

    Applicants MUST apply in person. So, the last time I visited, I made the trip to the Polk County Minnesota Sheriff's Office, and tried to apply.....upon which, I was informed that I must take a Minnesota CCW class and have the certificate, and was promptly turned away.

    I am unaware of the availability of Minnesota CCW classes here in Missouri. All the CCW classes I seem to be able to find are MISSOURI CCW classes, as I am FROM MISSOURI.

    Can anyone offer some assistance on where, in Missouri, I can find Minnesota CCW classes as they appear to be required? I tried to find the requirement in Minnesota statutes, but was unable to find applicable law. Your state websites appear to be rather confusing, as well. I looked at the Minnesota Department of Public Safety, and was redirected to the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension. I am unsure why I keep ending up at the BCA, as I am not a criminal, nor do I require apprehension.

    Any guidance on how I, as a Missouri resident, can obtain a Non-resident CCW permit from your state now that I have magically been transformed into a dangerous person requiring a Minnesota CCW class certificate after the previous decade of carrying without incident? Your state agency websites, and the state employees I have interacted with seem to be less than enlightening.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    northern wis
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics

    Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

  3. #3
    Regular Member robdoar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Bottom line, you have to take a class from an instructor that has been approved by the BCA to teach a MN Permit to Carry class.

    The list is here.

    You'll have to do what most non-residents do. Plan to take a class when you're up here.
    Political Director - MN Gun Owners Caucus/PAC
    NRA Instructor (BP, PPITH, PPOTH, Shotshell + Metallic Reloading, RSO)
    Certified Glock Armorer - Permit to Carry Instructor - Aegis Outdoors

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts