Thread: Yosemite

Yosemite

I'm planning a trip to California and I'm going to be staying in a campground in Yosemite national park for one night. It's in bear territory and there are warnings about it and all food must be locked up while there.

I'd really like to be able to have my gun on me while there and would appreciate any information you could give me to clear up whether it would be possible for me to carry there. The rest of my trip I plan on having it locked in a small safe while traveling.

Thanks for your help.
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!

Quote Originally Posted by tombrewster421 View Post
    I'm planning a trip to California....
    Mistake #1.

Okay, that's out of the way, now someone that can actually help is next up...
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Forget California. The "law" is whatever the idiots there say it is, and you can spend a fortune trying to change their mind.

Come to Wyoming/Montana/Idaho. At Yellowstone, you can carry and protect yourself. Just stay out of cities, best you can. They are becoming infested with liberal whiners, even here.

The old lady from out west...
    I will not knowingly initiate force. I am a self owner.

Let the record show that I did not consent to be governed. I did not consent to any constitution. I did not consent to any president. I did not consent to any law except the natural law of "mala en se." I did not consent to the police. Nor any tax. Nor any prohibition of anything. Nor any regulation or licensing of any kind.

I'm planning a trip to California and I'm going to be staying in a campground in Yosemite national park for one night. It's in bear territory and there are warnings about it and all food must be locked up while there.

I'd really like to be able to have my gun on me while there and would appreciate any information you could give me to clear up whether it would be possible for me to carry there. The rest of my trip I plan on having it locked in a small safe while traveling.

Thanks for your help.
    I moved from California 15 years ago and never looked back, but do return occasionally to visit family.

California does have rural open carry and when I lived there I always open carried in the woods, but I think it has gotten a lot stricter since then. I think your best bet is to keep it locked up if you want to be sure you're legal.

If it were me I'd keep it hidden but handy in bear country.

Thanks for your help.
    First read my response here http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...=1#post2186118

Yosemite is a no-discharge area, so that triggers the prohibition on general open carry (both loaded and unloaded)
    So, while within a vehicle, a handgun would need to be unloaded and within a secure locked container.
    At your actual campsite (not the whole campground) it would be legal to carry either open or concealed, loaded or unloaded under the exemptions for temporary residence.

Also, don't forget that CA also has a prohibition of so-called assault weapons (separate statutes for handguns, shotguns and rifles) as well as a general prohibition on importation of large capacity magazines ( greater then 10 rounds) (PC 32310) unless you meet one of the exemptions.

Here are the 3 flowcharts for determining assaulti-ness
    Handgun
    Shotgun
    Rifle
    Last edited by mjones; 04-11-2016 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mjones View Post
    First read my response here http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...=1#post2186118

Yosemite is a no-discharge area, so that triggers the prohibition on general open carry (both loaded and unloaded)
    So, while within a vehicle, a handgun would need to be unloaded and within a secure locked container.
    At your actual campsite (not the whole campground) it would be legal to carry either open or concealed, loaded or unloaded under the exemptions for temporary residence.

Also, don't forget that CA also has a prohibition of so-called assault weapons (separate statutes for handguns, shotguns and rifles) as well as a general prohibition on importation of large capacity magazines ( greater then 10 rounds) (PC 32310) unless you meet one of the exemptions.

Here are the 3 flowcharts for determining assaulti-ness
    Handgun
    Shotgun
    Rifle

Thank you for the constructive comment. I appreciate it.
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!