Thread: NRA steps into Norman v. Florida Open Carry case

Regular Member California Right To Carry's Avatar

Thumbs down NRA steps into Norman v. Florida Open Carry case

Yesterday, April 8th, the Florida Supreme Court granted the motion by the NRA to enter the case as an Amicus in the Norman v. Florida Open Carry case, ostensibly in support of Norman.

I emailed the NRA lawyers asking them, rhetorically, if their Amicus brief was going to read like Act III, Scene 2 of Shakespeare's Julius Caesar ("I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him.") only in reverse. Which is to say that the purpose of the NRA brief is to derail Norman's case.

We should know fairly soon when the NRA's Amicus brief is filed.

The NRA will not be participating in oral arguments.

There are now two Amici in this case and both are also Amici in the Peruta v. San Diego/Richards v. Prieto en banc appeal out of California:

Everytown for Gun Safety
    National Rifle Association

In California, Everytown for Gun Safety filed an Amicus Brief arguing that there is no Second Amendment right to carry firearms in public be they carried openly or concealed.
    In California, the National Rifle Association, to which its state organization the CRPA is a Plaintiff in the Peruta case, filed an Amicus brief in support of banning Open Carry.

In Florida, the Amicus brief from Everytown for Gun Safety filed an Amicus Brief saying that Florida's law banning Open Carry and providing for shall-issue concealed carry permits is all fine and dandy.
    In Florida, the National Rifle Association....

Well, we'll just have to wait and see what the National Rifle Association has to say in its Florida Amicus Brief.

EDIT - New Blaze published my Op/Ed -> http://newsblaze.com/business/legal/...fend-it_55846/
    Last edited by California Right To Carry; 04-13-2016 at 06:47 AM.
    Concealed carry is of no use to me, I don't carry a purse.

Charles Nichols – President of California Right To Carry
    http://CaliforniaRightToCarry.org

Quote Originally Posted by California Right To Carry View Post
    [ ... ]In California, the National Rifle Association, to which its state organization the CRPA is a Plaintiff in the Peruta case, filed an Amicus brief in support of banning Open Carry.[ ... ]
    You don't say!

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/You+don't+say
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

In the document I linked to in the other thread at the top of the Florida page, they assert there is a right to openly carry. I have high hopes, but we'll see. It matters not, FLSC will find that that the right to bear arms is a second class right. In short, the permit requirement will not be considered an infringement and they are free to redefine the regulation of the "manner of bearing arms" however they see fit. The unconstitutional ban will stand.

"The one set of sources consulted by the
    Supreme Court that speaks unequivocally on the right to carry—antebellum state
    supreme court cases—teaches that open carry of arms is protected. Any other
    result would be inconsistent with Heller’s approach and with the sources on which
    it relies. Instead, a faithful reading of Heller requires constitutionally protected
    open carry. See Note, Jonathan Meltzer, Open Carry for All: Heller and Our
    Nineteenth-Century Second Amendment, 123 Yale L. J. 1118 (March 2014)."
    Last edited by 77zach; 04-10-2016 at 07:05 PM.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

These lawyers are hired guns so to speak. That's why Everytown will argue in one case for a total carry ban and then in another say shall-issue is OK. Same with the NRA; they'll argue for open carry in this case and in another case argue that OC can be banned in favor of CC. I'm not reading into any ulterior motives on NRA's part.

Quote Originally Posted by press1280 View Post
    These lawyers are hired guns so to speak. That's why Everytown will argue in one case for a total carry ban and then in another say shall-issue is OK. Same with the NRA; they'll argue for open carry in this case and in another case argue that OC can be banned in favor of CC. I'm not reading into any ulterior motives on NRA's part.
    Absolutely. Everytown would much rather have unlicensed concealed carry over licensed open carry. Accepted OC is lethal to their program.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

NRA says open carry is a right in brief to FLSC

https://efactssc-public.flcourts.org...ief_120118.pdf

Which it is of course. If only the tyranny loving social engineers on the kangaroo kourt felt the same.
    Last edited by 77zach; 04-25-2016 at 08:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 77zach View Post
    Okay, as expected. That's good.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 77zach View Post
    Oh, my. I can remember when NRA's stance on open carry was rather different.

Certainly, many, many concealed-carry instructors advocated against it.

And, I can remember having to email-bomb the NRA-ILA on a Virginia issue. I received an email reply declaring restaurant carry was not an OC issue.

Hopefully, the justices won't ask the NRA to explain their new-found support of OC.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Oh, my. I can remember when NRA's stance on open carry was rather different.

Certainly, many, many concealed-carry instructors advocated against it.

And, I can remember having to email-bomb the NRA-ILA on a Virginia issue. I received an email reply declaring restaurant carry was not an OC issue.

Hopefully, the justices won't ask the NRA to explain their new-found support of OC.
    I don't think NRA ever officially said OC was not a right, they just ignored it or said that concealed carry is more popular among their members, which it is by a large margin. I don't think NRA is participating in the oral arguments on June 8.

The case will fail in recognizing open carry as a right because of the anti freedom bias of the kourt, and it really is grounds for the people to take to the streets to enforce the law on their own. But nothing will happen, a few local news outfits will briefly comment on it in a neutral or approving way and that will be that. Then we'll have to work to undo the damage the kourt caused in the legislature, which will take years if it ever happens at all.

Banned
    One can argue both (right to OC and the opposite) in the same pleading ... its called alternate pleading. Kinda odd to have such opposing views w/i one pleading but its allowed.