• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

re the Seattle public library

zaitz

Banned
so, the SPL changed its policy or rule a few years ago and now some people can either OC or cc. When and why and how did the change take place, if I may ask?

was there are direct lawsuit against them, or just a threat or ?

rightwinglibertarian

Goodness how long has WA had preemption? We've got to get out there and educate. Shall not be infringed means just that. If people can't accept that, too bad. That's what the law says.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

mikeyb

Pete Holmes: "This is, I think, an unnecessary invasion into municipal right of self-determination.”

What does that even mean?

Apparently the municipalities' ability to operate by their own rules and policies. You know, stuff like banning guns and knives; prohibiting drunks, blacks, transgender, gays from the library. Things like that.

Welcome to their fiefdom.

Difdi

Pete Holmes: "This is, I think, an unnecessary invasion into municipal right of self-determination.”

What does that even mean?

It means that they either don't consider themselves part of Washington state -- or they consider that the smaller a political subdivision is, the more legitimate it is for being in touch with what people immediately want.

Of course, just try getting a neighborhood council together to enact 'very local' ordinances that violate the Seattle Municipal Code, and you'll find out which they really believe.