• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Suspect in deadly shooting at Ariz. college allowed to live with parents

Law abider

Argument led to shooting by gun owner Steven Jones.
Jones, who kept a gun in the glove box of his car, is charged with first-degree murder in the Oct. 9 death of Colin Brough on the university's main campus in Flagstaff and six counts of assault for injuring three others students. Jones maintains he acted in self-defense.

He will be released to his parents and be monitored at home by GPS. The sad part is that his folks have to remove all their weapons from their home. So son shoots guy and parents have to give up their weapons? I don't know if Jones had a legally obtained gun. His folks owned a gun store.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/04/1...lowed-to-live-with-parents.html?intcmp=hplnws

utbagpiper

Banned
The sad part is that his folks have to remove all their weapons from their home. So son shoots guy and parents have to give up their weapons? I don't know if Jones had a legally obtained gun. His folks owned a gun store.

No, parents don't "have to remove all their weapons from their home." I'm sure they are perfectly free to let their son remain in police custody rather than waiting out his time to trial living at their home. He is an "adult" isn't he?

As I best understand it, those under felony indictment cannot possess firearms. I may not agree with this law in every case as it seems like deprivation of rights without a conviction. But it is the law. And this is one of the rare cases where I'd impose some legal liability on the folks if their son gets ahold of one of their guns, absent reasonable efforts to secure those guns.

I don't know that guns should have to be removed from the home. A safe to which the son doesn't have access ought to be sufficient.

On the other hand, one person dead, three wounded, and a first degree murder indictment is no small matter. One hopes for the truth to come out at trial and some sense of justice to be achieved. But in the meantime, some kind of restrictions on the person indicted don't seem unreasonable.

If his folks still own a gun store, they should have a fine location away from their home where they can store their guns. Even if they've sold the gun store, they probably have plenty of good contacts who will store their firearms for them. Or, their son can stay somewhere else, probably in custody at this point. Kind of sucks, especially if it turns out to be legit self-defense. But not unreasonable either.

Charles

Law abider

No, parents don't "have to remove all their weapons from their home." I'm sure they are perfectly free to let their son remain in police custody rather than waiting out his time to trial living at their home. He is an "adult" isn't he?

As I best understand it, those under felony indictment cannot possess firearms. I may not agree with this law in every case as it seems like deprivation of rights without a conviction. But it is the law. And this is one of the rare cases where I'd impose some legal liability on the folks if their son gets ahold of one of their guns, absent reasonable efforts to secure those guns.

I don't know that guns should have to be removed from the home. A safe to which the son doesn't have access ought to be sufficient.

On the other hand, one person dead, three wounded, and a first degree murder indictment is no small matter. One hopes for the truth to come out at trial and some sense of justice to be achieved. But in the meantime, some kind of restrictions on the person indicted don't seem unreasonable.

If his folks still own a gun store, they should have a fine location away from their home where they can store their guns. Even if they've sold the gun store, they probably have plenty of good contacts who will store their firearms for them. Or, their son can stay somewhere else, probably in custody at this point. Kind of sucks, especially if it turns out to be legit self-defense. But not unreasonable either.

Charles

Yeah. He should be in police custody. no prior criminal record doesn't mean a hoot. He killed someone and now he will live in comfort at home??

solus

not a unique situation...affluence teen's rehab was borne by the taxpayers all 60K of it...
quote: During a hearing on Friday, Judge Jean Boyd ordered Fred and Tonya Couch to pay $1,170 every month for their son Ethan’s treatment at the North Texas State hospital. The in-patient center actually costs $715 per day, which means Ethan’s parents will only pay for two days of treatment every month.

Taxpayers will shell out the rest. unquote

course he now has to spend 180 days per life he took behind bars...720 days, not counting time served...

ipse

Firearms Iinstuctor

Yeah. He should be in police custody. no prior criminal record doesn't mean a hoot. He killed someone and now he will live in comfort at home??

Don't think he has been convicted yet to me it sounds like judge and prosecutor denying bail.

Because he dared used a firearm to protect him self.

Interesting reading at kinks below

http://gunwatch.blogspot.com/2015/12/nau-school-shooter-self-defense-case.html

http://gunwatch.blogspot.com/2016/02/judge-dan-slayton-refuses-to-reduce-2.html

http://gunwatch.blogspot.com/2015/11/az-school-shooting-may-have-been-self.html

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Don't think he has been convicted yet to me it sounds like judge and prosecutor denying bail.

Because he dared used a firearm to protect him self.

Interesting reading at kinks (sic) below

http://gunwatch.blogspot.com/2015/12/nau-school-shooter-self-defense-case.html

http://gunwatch.blogspot.com/2016/02/judge-dan-slayton-refuses-to-reduce-2.html

http://gunwatch.blogspot.com/2015/11/az-school-shooting-may-have-been-self.html
Wow! Rough situation - don't know what I would have done differently other than KMBMS until my attorney was present.

$2 million bail? Excessive for circumstances?

utbagpiper

Banned
Interesting reading at kinks below

Well those articles certainly cast the story in a little different light. Multiple intoxicated men as the aggressors with illegal drug use, the shooter with obvious injuries from a physical attack, shooter is sober. And the identity and history of the prosecutor is very troubling as well.

I've long considered it an injustice that even after an acquittal, the man wrongly accused is not even reimbursed for his legal costs.

Thank you for the links.

Charles

OC for ME

Thursday ruling from the 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals from 2012

The ruling raises the threshold for federal prosecutors going after felons living around guns, clarifying that access doesn't always equal possession, and that the felon-in-possession law doesn't automatically ban a felon from living somewhere where guns are lawfully kept.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/161495795.html
Anyway...back to the op, will be following the story with interest.

The Trickster

It'll definitely be interesting to see how this one plays out. I'm inclined to believe that if he is being allowed home detention, there must be some reasonable evidence to support the notion that he was indeed acting in defense of himself from aggressors. But, I haven't been in the court room and I can only go by news articles, some of which reek of bias. As far as I'm concerned, the fact that he was on a college campus is entirely irrelevant, but I know that our illustrious educators tend to believe that the right to personal protection/responsibility does not exist on *their* sacrosanct grounds. If this fella's incident really was a case of self-defense, then I'm sure most of them believe that he should have just called the police and waited patiently. As far as handling the impending attack by multiple assailants? Curl up on the ground in the fetal position and beg for mercy.

Last edited:

Dario

Well those articles certainly cast the story in a little different light. Multiple intoxicated men as the aggressors with illegal drug use, the shooter with obvious injuries from a physical attack, shooter is sober. And the identity and history of the prosecutor is very troubling as well.

I've long considered it an injustice that even after an acquittal, the man wrongly accused is not even reimbursed for his legal costs.

Thank you for the links.

Charles

Amen to that. $3000 in legal fees for a "he said, she said" MISDEMEANOR domestic charge where my 2nd amendment rights hung in the balance forever. Not counting the weekend in jail, the oppressive random drug/alcohol screening inconveniences and the emotional stress of actually being convicted.

Last edited:

solus

Amen to that. $3000 in legal fees for a "he said, she said" MISDEMEANOR domestic charge where my 2nd amendment rights hung in the balance forever. Not counting the weekend in jail, the oppressive random drug/alcohol screening inconveniences and the emotional stress of actually being convicted.

ah sounds like you stepped into/onto to Colorado's world of DV judicial merry-go-round. the Dept of Criminal Justice has convinced the legislature that DV is equivalent to homicide and considered guilty before by the judicial system appearing before a judge.

enjoy the classes?

ipse

Dario

ah sounds like you stepped into/onto to Colorado's world of DV judicial merry-go-round. the Dept of Criminal Justice has convinced the legislature that DV is equivalent to homicide and considered guilty before by the judicial system appearing before a judge.

enjoy the classes?

ipse

I was acquitted :cool:

But not before the White Knight cop believed the hysterical woman's side of the story enough to issue me a "warrantless arrest." The feminist D.A. was irritated that I had the nerve to refuse a plea bargain, the female judge refused the motion to dismiss based on lack of evidence and the jury was 4 women 2 men. The cards were stacked but if I can plug a defense attorney that is a pit bull in the Denver area, his name is Rick Best.

The Trickster

All the more reason to stay single, live alone, and just have some occasional fun...if you catch my drift.

When I was younger, I was with a gal for a bit who, in order to "win" occasional arguments, would periodically threaten to call the police and feign being abused by me. She blatantly flaunted that all she had to do was hit herself in the face a few times and the cops would take her side and my rights would be destroyed in the process. What was particularly disturbing and eye-opening to me was the fact that prior to this type of behavior becoming the norm, we had already been together for several years. This, among other experiences of mine, have demonstrated the unpredictability and untrustworthiness which seem intrinsic to long-term relationships.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran

On the other hand, one person dead, three wounded, and a first degree murder indictment is no small matter.

Adam Lanza did not have access either.

solus

All the more reason to stay single, live alone, and just have some occasional fun...if you catch my drift.

When I was younger, I was with a gal for a bit who, in order to "win" occasional arguments, would periodically threaten to call the police and feign being abused by me. She blatantly flaunted that all she had to do was hit herself in the face a few times and the cops would take her side and my rights would be destroyed in the process. What was particularly disturbing and eye-opening to me was the fact that prior to this type of behavior becoming the norm, we had already been together for several years. This, among other experiences of mine, have demonstrated the unpredictability and untrustworthiness which seem intrinsic to long-term relationships.

something about taking two to tango to allow that type of behaviour to continue...further that you have taken a monks stance leads this member to believe there is something else about your particular behavioual patterns that is not being told.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Why wasn't your digital recorder or nanny cam on when you induced her to talk about her not so veiled threats?

There is more than one way to separate a cat from its skin.......figuratively speaking.

The Trickster

something about taking two to tango to allow that type of behaviour to continue...further that you have taken a monks stance leads this member to believe there is something else about your particular behavioual patterns that is not being told.

You're absolutely right. I was young, dumb, and full of...you know the rest. "She's the one! Fate brought us together! We were meant to be together forever!"

Many moons ago and lesson(s) learned.

And for the record, I don't think monks are into many one-night stands.

Last edited:

The Trickster

Why wasn't your digital recorder or nanny cam on when you induced her to talk about her not so veiled threats?

There is more than one way to separate a cat from its skin.......figuratively speaking.

Looking back, I honestly don't know why I never recorded her. But, purging her from my life was a success nonetheless.

Rusty Young Man

Agree with The Trickster, there must be some reason the man isn't being denied staying with the parents, right? At the very least, they likely don't believe he'll try to run off to Mexico or something.

I was acquitted :cool:

But not before the White Knight cop believed the hysterical woman's side of the story enough to issue me a "warrantless arrest." The feminist D.A. was irritated that I had the nerve to refuse a plea bargain, the female judge refused the motion to dismiss based on lack of evidence and the jury was 4 women 2 men. The cards were stacked but if I can plug a defense attorney that is a pit bull in the Denver area, his name is Rick Best.

True. I've just come to find it easier to avoid the long-term thing altogether. Attachment leads to agony.

Two the both of you: glad the crazy ladies are out of your respective lives, and glad you didn't get thrown in a cage due to their antics.:( Hope it stays that way.:)

Trickster, I must say, you sound an awful lot like I did just two years ago. Just that, hearing it from someone else is a little uncanny... o_O