• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ohio House Bill 518

Brian D.

The gist of this proposed legislation is to allow elected officials of Ohio and its various political subdivisions to carry firearms in government buildings, as long as they have a concealed carry license.

I hope this is just a door-opening ploy to get less resistance out of the lefty Reps and Senators, and they will change the law for the better at a later date. Obviously we want carry in these buildings made legal for ALL who are allowed to possess firearms, not just politicians, or even all concealed carry licensees.

But if it is incrementalism, I don't get why they bother trying to appease the small number of anti-gun legislators at all. Just write a up a good bill and ram it down the the leftys' throats. Governor Kasich (when he eventually gets back to Columbus between job-hunting trips on our time/money) would sign it.

The time to make Ohio's gun laws better is now, but the wheels turn WAY too slow.

solus

The gist of this proposed legislation is to allow elected officials of Ohio and its various political subdivisions to carry firearms in government buildings, as long as they have a concealed carry license.

I hope this is just a door-opening ploy to get less resistance out of the lefty Reps and Senators, and they will change the law for the better at a later date. Obviously we want carry in these buildings made legal for ALL who are allowed to possess firearms, not just politicians, or even all concealed carry licensees.

But if it is incrementalism, I don't get why they bother trying to appease the small number of anti-gun legislators at all. Just write a up a good bill and ram it down the the leftys' throats. Governor Kasich (when he eventually gets back to Columbus between job-hunting trips on our time/money) would sign it.

The time to make Ohio's gun laws better is now, but the wheels turn WAY too slow.

no, sorry to burst your bubble but there is no later date envisioned as this is nothing more than an legal exception being extended for the already established elite. Keeshan oh sorry kasich, i get the current governor confused with the individual who played Clarabell and capt kangaroo...will sign it for the elite to maintain political favor in the legislature.

correct me if i am mistaken, aren't the Buckeye's elected officials already surrounded by heavily armed security and established checkpoints?

ipse

Brian D.

no, sorry to burst your bubble but there is no later date envisioned as this is nothing more than an legal exception being extended for the already established elite. Keeshan oh sorry kasich, i get the current governor confused with the individual who played Clarabell and capt kangaroo...will sign it for the elite to maintain political favor in the legislature.

correct me if i am mistaken, aren't the Buckeye's elected officials already surrounded by heavily armed security and established checkpoints?

ipse

My bubble is kevlar lined, don't worry about bursting it. Having spent some time with our legislators at the Statehouse, I really believe this bill is sort of a Trojan Horse to get some support from those urban-core district Senators and Representatives. It's stupid and pointless but I've seen the Republicans do this before with other issues, even when they held both sides of the legislative seats with a large majority.

I say they should make this bill read so that it allows carry in government buildings by all those lawfully allowed to possess firearms in the first place. Hell with the libby fringe of both houses. Shove it down their throats and tell them "We'll compromise on something else, next time, we swear!"

Brian D.

One of this bill's sponsors (who is VERY 2A supportive) claims he submitted it with this language as a foot-in-the-door thing for future enhancement. Maybe while the bill is making its way through both houses this time, and/or in the next legislative cycle. Unfortunately, that's often how the heavy lifting is done, or the elephant is eaten if you prefer: One little bit(e) at a time.

This practice chafes me because the (R) party, mainly made up of fairly conservative reps and senators, holds both houses by a large majority. So, they could push things much faster if they really wanted to.