Thread: Where are the Maineiacs?

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Where are the Maineiacs?

When Shane Belanger was the point man for your state org., the information was rapid fire as to what was going on there. Since he and his wife have entered private dental/orthodontal practice, we hear almost nothing from Maine activists. No one seems to have picked up the ball.

That is a shame as we each learned things from each other here on OCDO.

Read second hand where you are going to be doing something special for "National Gun Violence Awareness Day" on June 2nd.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 04-17-2016 at 02:26 PM. Reason: changed title....again
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Um, Who Are These "Down-Mainers" Of Whom You Refer?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    When Shane Belanger was the point man for your state org., the information was rapid fire as to what was going on there. Since he and his wife have entered private dental/orthodontal practice, we hear almost nothing from Maine activists. No one seems to have picked up the ball.

That is a shame as we each learned things from each other here on OCDO.

Read second hand where you are going to be doing something special for "National Gun Violence Awareness Day" on June 2nd.

While you may not want to revefix title
    Hi, Grapeshot.

Shane has been a great source of energy and information for us in Maine, and I personally have appreciated the amount of personal sacrifice he's made championing US 2A & ME A1/S16 rights! There are many excellent folks who are working hard to continue protecting and expanding firearm related rights in our great State.

Recent news - on 4/5/2016, Maine LD 1572 - An Act To Ensure Nondiscrimination against Gun Owners in Certain Federally Subsidized Housing - was passed and signed by our Governor. LD 1572 ensures that residents (who are not disallowed persons) living in subsidized housing can possess firearms without the threat of eviction. This is the result of an incident involving a veteran living in subsidized housing (partially private, partially government funded) who purchased a firearm for his own protection (after the landlord refused to enact any type of security when the veteran complained about break-ins) and needed to use it during the 3rd break-in. Afterwards the veteran was then threatened with eviction if he continued to keep the firearm in his apartment. The law (90 days after 4/5) now protects him from being evicted.

I haven't heard about anything for June 2nd. My understanding is that this is more of a Brady/Everytown type event organized to blame the firearm and not the criminal.

PS (in a very polite tone) only coastal Maine is referred to as "Down East". I haven't heard the term "Down-Mainers" until you used it. In polite society, Maine residents are called Mainers, but we like to call ourselves Mainiacs.

Appreciate the correction on Mainiacs/Mainers - fixed the title.

I heard through the grapevine () that someone in Maine was ordering bright orange shirts with Guns SAVE Lives emblazoned on them.

Thing is that orange has long been the color associated with GSL - the antis in choosing this color for their 'special' day failed to be aware if this most public fact. Gotta love it when they step on their own diminutive Richard.

The orange GSL logo/emblem is copyright protected by VCDL, but we will gladly authorize the use of it to any legitimate pro2a/RKBA group - ask and you shall receive.
    https://vcdl-gear.myshopify.com/

I'll look forward to more postings from Maine activists in the future. Stories about your laws, events, and even just routine non-events as you go about your daily routine.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 04-14-2016 at 10:18 PM. Reason: fixed
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Oh, Yeah, If It's Gonna Happen, It'll Happen In Maine...

I'll look forward to more postings from Maine activists in the future. Stories about your laws, events, and even just routine non-events as you go about your daily routine.
    We have no shortage of interesting happenings in Maine:
    - the unsolved murders in Cabot Cove
    - the unexplained supernatural events in Haven
    - secret military dimensional testing resulting in an eerie Mist
    - the sighting of a dragon in Passamaquoddy Bay
    - the rumors of a Russian sub being towed up the Penobscot River
    - And don't get me started on the weirdness coming out of Storybrook

Quote Originally Posted by Grundi View Post
    If it relates to OC, RKBA, self-defense, or guns (shootings etc) then please do post it here - share it with us. Some may be appropriate in other sub-forums, but do post it. That is how we all learn and grow.

Appreciate your responses - if I were a bit younger, I might move to Maine at some point - I don't tolerate the cold well anymore though.

Very, very good.

Grapeshot, this is the correct term for that state's residents: Maineiacs. Just fyi sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian D. View Post
    Very, very good.

Grapeshot, this is the correct term for that state's residents: Maineiacs. Just fyi sir.
    Will try to remember that. Here hold my beer while I take another shot at it...........

Fixed thread title per your advice ".........Maineiacs"
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 04-17-2016 at 02:28 PM. Reason: added

Nice! Actually don't know the proper term myself but maybe we're on to a better idea here.

As to gun rights in Maine: I spend the bulk of one longish summer vacation in that state and find it hard to believe that much of anybody in their legislature would have strong anti-firearms leanings; so much of Maine is rural or small towns. But, politicians take me completely by surprise at times...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian D. View Post
    Nice! Actually don't know the proper term myself but maybe we're on to a better idea here.

As to gun rights in Maine: I spend the bulk of one longish summer vacation in that state and find it hard to believe that much of anybody in their legislature would have strong anti-firearms leanings; so much of Maine is rural or small towns. But, politicians take me completely by surprise at times...
    Not all of the legislation/laws are friendly to self-defense advocates and particularly not to OCers.

http://www.ellsworthamerican.com/maine-news/political-news/guns-barred-in-acadia-national-park

http://bangordailynews.com/2010/07/0...eet-at-acadia/

Not all of the legislation/laws are friendly to self-defense advocates and particularly not to OCers.

http://www.ellsworthamerican.com/maine-news/political-news/guns-barred-in-acadia-national-park

Yes, no, maybe, but then again...

Maine has been, for the most part, friendly to OC'ers; however, there are some very beautiful places in our wonderful State that are the subject of exceptions and are off-limits to OC'ing - in particular, state and national parks. In Maine, you are not permitted to OC in either state and national parks. You may CC if you have a permit (the new permitless carry law does not alter this - you need a permit to possess a firearm within a state or national park in Maine). I'm stressing the "in Maine" part because this is a state by state situation.

The current prevailing political winds favor 2A; however, there has been more activity on CC'ing and long guns. That's not to say that Maine is politically hostile toward OC'ing, we are still very friendly to OC'ers; but there are gains to be made politically in other 2A areas.

We have a big ballot fight coming up in November on this Universal Background Checks on all firearm transfers. In Maine, citizen petitions can still be used to create ballot measures that direct the Legislature to action. Putting a measure on our ballot doesn't guarantee that the citizens will approve it, so we do need to step up and fight this.
    Last edited by Grundi; 04-17-2016 at 10:25 PM.

Yes, no, maybe, but then again...

Maine has been, for the most part, friendly to OC'ers; however, there are some very beautiful places in our wonderful State that are the subject of exceptions and are off-limits to OC'ing - in particular, state and national parks. In Maine, you are not permitted to OC in either state and national parks. You may CC if you have a permit (the new permitless carry law does not alter this - you need a permit to possess a firearm within a state or national park in Maine). I'm stressing the "in Maine" part because this is a state by state situation.

The current prevailing political winds favor 2A; however, there has been more activity on CC'ing and long guns. That's not to say that Maine is politically hostile toward OC'ing, we are still very friendly to OC'ers; but there are gains to be made politically in other 2A areas.

We have a big ballot fight coming up in November on this Universal Background Checks on all firearm transfers. In Maine, citizen petitions can still be used to create ballot measures that direct the Legislature to action. Putting a measure on our ballot doesn't guarantee that the citizens will approve it, so we do need to step up and fight this.
    Universal Background Checks - now there is a slippery slope.

In order for UBC to be effective, you must first have registration of all firearms.

We know that bad guys will ignore any such law - that is why they are called criminals.

And of course, there are many other things that cause a greater number of deaths but do not require a background check when transferring them - vehicles is the first that comes to mind.

Those stories are from 2010...

Quote Originally Posted by boyscout399 View Post
    Those stories are from 2010...
    Nothing has changed on this since 2010 to the best of my knowledge. Do you have information to the contrary?

Nothing has changed on this since 2010 to the best of my knowledge. Do you have information to the contrary?
    Well, yes, no, maybe, but then again... (oh, I've said that before, haven't I?!?)

The articles are not the best written nor are they clear. OC'ing is not allowed, but CC'ing is (with CC permit, of course) ... EXCEPT ... in Baxter State Park, where all firearms are prohibited unless locked away in your vehicle. The articles quoted are focused on Acadia National Park and are written to give the impression that all firearms are prohibited. However, you may CC in the National Parks and in most state parks (with CC permit, of course) ... EXCEPT ... Baxter State Park, where Mount Katahdin, Maine's highest peak, and most of Mousehead Lake, Maine's largest lake, are located. Why? Because when the Baxter Family donated the land to Maine for a state park, they did so with the stipulation that the administration of the park would be under a separate authority, outside of state jurisdiction with the authority to make its own regulations. And the Baxter State Park powers that be don't like firearms of any kind.

I'm so glad that my state is a "pre-emptive" state so that we don't have to keep track of different laws depending on where you're at.

Well, yes, no, maybe, but then again... (oh, I've said that before, haven't I?!?)

The articles are not the best written nor are they clear. OC'ing is not allowed, but CC'ing is (with CC permit, of course) ... EXCEPT ... in Baxter State Park, where all firearms are prohibited unless locked away in your vehicle. The articles quoted are focused on Acadia National Park and are written to give the impression that all firearms are prohibited. However, you may CC in the National Parks and in most state parks (with CC permit, of course) ... EXCEPT ... Baxter State Park, where Mount Katahdin, Maine's highest peak, and most of Mousehead Lake, Maine's largest lake, are located. Why? Because when the Baxter Family donated the land to Maine for a state park, they did so with the stipulation that the administration of the park would be under a separate authority, outside of state jurisdiction with the authority to make its own regulations. And the Baxter State Park powers that be don't like firearms of any kind.

I'm so glad that my state is a "pre-emptive" state so that we don't have to keep track of different laws depending on where you're at.

Campaign Veteran
    Is there any clarification on out of state visitors being legally able to CC in Maine? The state police website says "The law applies to both residents of Maine and non-residents". Is this true? http://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/license...s_permits.html

Campaign Veteran
    Wow! Thanks for the great responses to my question. Having gone there and back already, it was a big help.

Quote Originally Posted by SP101 View Post
    Wow! Thanks for the great responses to my question. Having gone there and back already, it was a big help.
    Sorry about that, SP101.

According to the revised provision, the term "person" is used instead "resident" or "non-resident". The official position of the Maine State Police (on their public website) is that they interpret this broadly, to include both residents and non-residents.

Thank you for visiting our beautiful state.