• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Attempted in home breakin.

gwhitegm60

A family member of mine last Friday had a attempted break in at his and wife's house. The suspect poked a hole in the screen and attempted to pull it off of the window. It was my brother in law and sister's house. My brother in law heard the noise and I guess he wasn't thinking about his gun in the bed room and ran outside. The suspect took off and now they have to replace the window. I told my brother in law he needs to start carrying his gun on him while he is at home. My brother in law and sister are both retired. Since that happen I have been conceal carrying around my home every night. I also have some training video's that I am going to loan to him to watch and maybe practice.

A armed society is a polite society.

Gregg

Ken56

If you are going to have a firearm "for protection" then it is a good idea to actually have it available for use on a moments notice. I carry around my home, out in the yard, into town, at the grocery store........kinda like everywhere I go. I mow my yard armed, wash the car armed, take the trash out armed. Good that everything worked out for them and the guy ran off. Hopefully he learned something in that experience. His wife needs to be able to use a firearm too. All is not utopia out there no matter where we live.

F350

I wouldn't say running outside, armed or not, was a very smart decision, charging headlong into an unknown situation, there could have been multiple BGs armed and ready kill.

Stay inside where you know the battleground, call 911 and if/when your castle is breached.... Respond appropriately. Glad it worked out for him.

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

I wouldn't say running outside, armed or not, was a very smart decision, charging headlong into an unknown situation, there could have been multiple BGs armed and ready kill.

Stay inside where you know the battleground, call 911 and if/when your castle is breached.... Respond appropriately. Glad it worked out for him.

Most people to not think tactically nor do they train them selves to do so.

When I talk tactics to clients I get a lot of oh I never thought about that.

Last edited:

Glock 1st fan

A family member of mine last Friday had a attempted break in at his and wife's house. The suspect poked a hole in the screen and attempted to pull it off of the window. It was my brother in law and sister's house. My brother in law heard the noise and I guess he wasn't thinking about his gun in the bed room and ran outside. The suspect took off and now they have to replace the window. I told my brother in law he needs to start carrying his gun on him while he is at home. My brother in law and sister are both retired. Since that happen I have been conceal carrying around my home every night. I also have some training video's that I am going to loan to him to watch and maybe practice.

A armed society is a polite society.

Gregg

I fully agree with your view. owning a gun for protection but not having it with you is like buying a fire extinguisher for your home but leaving it in your car. When you need it your spouse may have driven to the store and left you without it.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
it is a good idea to actually have it available for use........
I carry around my home, out in the yard, into town, at the grocery store. I mow my yard armed, wash the car armed, take the trash out armed.

Think about how long it will take to get to your "house gun"? Kens approach, IMHO, is correct. Have your tool by your side.

I had a similar incident about a hundred years ago, when I was a young Sailor. I was in Mayport Fla and living w/wife, children in a trailer park. I got up at Oh dark thirty to meet mates for PT. While leaning against the wall drinking yesterdays coffee, I hear someone walk past my open window. I quietly followed him inside as he approached my daughters bedroom window from outside. He put a milk crate against my trailer and stepped up to the screen. He had still not seen me so in my best Drill Sergeant voice I yelled " What do you want from my house!!" through the darkened screen. He fell back off the milk crate, popping his little head on the concrete like a pumpkin. He ran so fast his sneakers left skidmarks. Lucky for me I was up, lucky for him he escaped.

rushcreek2

I have a 6 foot high shelf over my desk which sits between our living room and our dining room. Atop it sits my handgun.

In our bedroom I have a dresser cabinet that also sits 6 foot high atop our chest of drawers. It shelves the 32" TV, three handguns, a Surefire flashlight, and a landline phone.

That having been said....at 3:45 A.M. ...when I am pretty much in a sleep walking mode...at best...I believe...the MENTAL preparedness to HOLD THAT POSITION....is essential.

Last edited:

Maverick9

Most people to not think tactically nor do they train them selves to do so.

When I talk tactics to clients I get a lot of oh I never thought about that.

What kinda bothers me is when my partner leaves her handgun in her purse slung on the bannister, which is near the front door and we're at the other end of the livingroom in the bedroom. I say 'you know a BG can slip in, see your purse, heft it, find the gun and then you have an armed BG not just some lowlife wanting to steal your wallet.

No amount of reminding helps. I end up bringing it into the bedroom.

Of course we live in a very safe neighborhood, but it's the idea...