Thread: Northern Marianas Island Territory $1,000 Gun Tax Pushed as “Role Model” for States

Northern Marianas Island Territory $1,000 Gun Tax Pushed as “Role Model” for States

... An idea first endorsed by Hillary Clinton in 1993, steep gun taxes have now taken hold in Cook County, Ill. the city of Seattle, and now a U.S. territory. ... A $1,000 per gun tax should serve as a “role model” for states, according to the governor of the U.S. territory of the Northern Mariana Islands, which imposed the $1,000 gun tax earlier this month.
    [ ... ]
    “The Left is now seeking to tax guns out of existence,” said Grover Norquist, president of Americans for Tax Reform. “The Second Amendment makes it difficult to legally ban guns, but Hillary has led the way to explaining you can achieve the same thing with high taxes.”

http://www.atr.org/1000-gun-tax-push...e-model-states
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

see "poll tax"

...not that the second amendment is held to the same standard as other Constitutional rights

Quote Originally Posted by RockyMtnScotsman View Post
    see "poll tax"

...not that the second amendment is held to the same standard as other Constitutional rights
    You cannot tax a right nor the exercise of a right.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post
    You cannot tax a right nor the exercise of a right.
    Their argument is that they aren't taxing the right itself.

After all, if you were correct, you should have started a long long time ago to argue against the sales tax applying to arms and ammo.

Of course, this is a punitive tax with no justification, and illegal because of that, but not just because it was the word "tax."
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    After all, if you were correct, you should have started a long long time ago to argue against the sales tax applying to arms and ammo.
    He's correct, and so are you.
    It's well established that you can't tax a Constitutional Right.
    That's why poll taxes, even a penny a vote, are unconstitutional, and why churches don't pay real estate taxes. And don't get me started on 11% or $200 excise taxes...

The tax will serve as an incentive for homemade guns, as well as the black market. Some people are not adept at building their own tools, so there will be more unsafe guns out there. Way to go liberals, another bonehead idea.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

It is not a tax...it is a fee.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    It is not a tax...it is a fee.
    Same thing

Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post
    Same thing

You have not learned yet.

Just get a FFL for $200 and get 100000 guns all tax free....