Thread: Education Johnston high school opens indoor shooting range

Education Johnston high school opens indoor shooting range

Yes! Now that's a way to normalize the fear guns in public schools. Members of the Navy Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps program at Smithfield-Selma High School can now practice their marksmanship without having to leave campus. They will use pellet guns but as usual school admin are complaining.

http://www.wral.com/johnston-high-sc...ange/15651461/

ROTC indoor shooting range

Greetins all

What made me laugh was the comment by the commander was the below text.

"There’s a marksmanship safety test they have to take, and they have to get a 100 on it," Commander David Wegman said. "In addition to that, they have to sign a safety pledge, get permission from home and then finally demonstrate on the range that they know how to handle one of these air rifles safely."

We aren't required to get 100 on our drivers test, how is getting 100 on a marksmanship safety test appropriate. Also had to laught at the "safety pledge". Kind of like those "chasity pledges" that we used to make and rarely ever kept....

Michael

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    In a time before time was recorded, my HS had a small bore rifle range in the basement. All local HSs had JROTC teams. Never heard of a single mishap ever.

Carried my rifle about town on public transportation too.

Pellet guns - really? Please, not Daisy air rifles - they are junk in a world full of much better equipment.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    In a time before time was recorded, my HS had a small bore rifle range in the basement. All local HSs had JROTC teams. Never heard of a single mishap ever.

Carried my rifle about town on public transportation too.

Pellet guns - really? Please, not Daisy air rifles - they are junk in a world full of much better equipment.
    But Grape, the future of carry is heading to CO2 powered daisy pistols kinda like they use at paint ball ranges.

Quote Originally Posted by Law abider View Post
    But Grape, the future of carry is heading to CO2 powered daisy pistols kinda like they use at paint ball ranges.
    Nah, even those are too scary looking. And the only thing that really matters is scary.

Kudos to law abider for bring the story up...

instead of pooh paw'g the Cmdr's mentality of 100% on the test, which i am sure was conceived to show administrators he is running a tight ship, you should be in AWE he took the initiative to hit up NSSF & NCWRC for grant monies so it didn't cost the school $$$

as grape has stated previously...(paraphrasing) it is a step forward to expose and indoctrinate cadets, their parents, and school officials they have the capability so when the cadets transition into the actual firearm handling of rimfire (and center fire once they qualify using the rimfire) rifles they handle at camp.

sorry, G-Daughter showed up unexpectedly...

additionally, the range is now a phsysical presence on the campus and i am sure you will see other students wanting to participate!!
    ipse
    Last edited by solus; 04-24-2016 at 10:01 AM.
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Four kids? Is the range not open to all students? Can kids bring their own air guns? Will local cops now be forced to really look first before shooting?
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Four kids? Is the range not open to all students? Can kids bring their own air guns? Will local cops now be forced to really look first before shooting?
    since the building and equipment grant funding was obtained by and for the Navy JR ROTC group i am sure the facility is closed per se to non ROTC student group.

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PerBast View Post
    Greetins all

What made me laugh was the comment by the commander was the below text.

"There’s a marksmanship safety test they have to take, and they have to get a 100 on it," Commander David Wegman said. "In addition to that, they have to sign a safety pledge, get permission from home and then finally demonstrate on the range that they know how to handle one of these air rifles safely."

We aren't required to get 100 on our drivers test, how is getting 100 on a marksmanship safety test appropriate. Also had to laught at the "safety pledge". Kind of like those "chasity pledges" that we used to make and rarely ever kept....

Michael
    Every girl I met took one of those "chastity pledges" LOL

Centurion
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Every girl I met took one of those "chastity pledges" LOL
    Did they? Or they just lied to you instead of telling you they didn't find you attractive! LOL��
    Last edited by JoeSparky; 04-28-2016 at 11:40 PM.
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"