• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Education Johnston high school opens indoor shooting range

PerBast

ROTC indoor shooting range

Greetins all

What made me laugh was the comment by the commander was the below text.

"There’s a marksmanship safety test they have to take, and they have to get a 100 on it," Commander David Wegman said. "In addition to that, they have to sign a safety pledge, get permission from home and then finally demonstrate on the range that they know how to handle one of these air rifles safely."

We aren't required to get 100 on our drivers test, how is getting 100 on a marksmanship safety test appropriate. Also had to laught at the "safety pledge". Kind of like those "chasity pledges" that we used to make and rarely ever kept....

Michael

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
In a time before time was recorded, my HS had a small bore rifle range in the basement. All local HSs had JROTC teams. Never heard of a single mishap ever.

Carried my rifle about town on public transportation too.

Pellet guns - really? Please, not Daisy air rifles - they are junk in a world full of much better equipment.

Law abider

In a time before time was recorded, my HS had a small bore rifle range in the basement. All local HSs had JROTC teams. Never heard of a single mishap ever.

Carried my rifle about town on public transportation too.

Pellet guns - really? Please, not Daisy air rifles - they are junk in a world full of much better equipment.

But Grape, the future of carry is heading to CO2 powered daisy pistols kinda like they use at paint ball ranges.

solus

Kudos to law abider for bring the story up...

instead of pooh paw'g the Cmdr's mentality of 100% on the test, which i am sure was conceived to show administrators he is running a tight ship, you should be in AWE he took the initiative to hit up NSSF & NCWRC for grant monies so it didn't cost the school $$$

as grape has stated previously...(paraphrasing) it is a step forward to expose and indoctrinate cadets, their parents, and school officials they have the capability so when the cadets transition into the actual firearm handling of rimfire (and center fire once they qualify using the rimfire) rifles they handle at camp.

sorry, G-Daughter showed up unexpectedly...

additionally, the range is now a phsysical presence on the campus and i am sure you will see other students wanting to participate!!
ipse

Last edited:

OC for ME

Four kids? Is the range not open to all students? Can kids bring their own air guns? Will local cops now be forced to really look first before shooting?

solus

Four kids? Is the range not open to all students? Can kids bring their own air guns? Will local cops now be forced to really look first before shooting?

since the building and equipment grant funding was obtained by and for the Navy JR ROTC group i am sure the facility is closed per se to non ROTC student group.

ipse

davidmcbeth

Banned
Greetins all

What made me laugh was the comment by the commander was the below text.

"There’s a marksmanship safety test they have to take, and they have to get a 100 on it," Commander David Wegman said. "In addition to that, they have to sign a safety pledge, get permission from home and then finally demonstrate on the range that they know how to handle one of these air rifles safely."

We aren't required to get 100 on our drivers test, how is getting 100 on a marksmanship safety test appropriate. Also had to laught at the "safety pledge". Kind of like those "chasity pledges" that we used to make and rarely ever kept....

Michael

Every girl I met took one of those "chastity pledges" LOL