Thread: Stamping Out Trollism, News Sites Start Charging Readers to Comment on Articles

Stamping Out Trollism, News Sites Start Charging Readers to Comment on Articles

The result has been far fewer comments, but Newhouse doesn’t mind. She said making money was never the priority. “They are not just flailing and throwing spitballs at you because they’re trying to impress their Facebook friends,” she said. Since first implementing the system last February, Newhouse said she’s lost count of how many publications have contacted her as they explore similar moves.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...nt-on-articles

No, not troilism, get your mind right.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 04-20-2016 at 01:23 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

I'm hoping it prevents these A-Holes from posting comments in EVERY story on a news webpage.

Prateek Patil · SMEF's Brick School
    Most of us want to have good income but dont know how to do that on Internet there are a lot of methods to earn huge sum at home, but whenever Buddies try that they get trapped in a scam/fraud so I thought to share with you a genuine and guaranteed method for free to earn huge sum of money at home anyone of you interested should visit the page. I am more than sure that you will get best result.

Best Of Luck for new Initiative!

https://www.facebook,i-am-a-loser-who-still-lives-in-my-mom's-basement.com
    Last edited by Shovelhead; 04-20-2016 at 02:56 PM.
    Assault Weapon (N) “Any firearm whose design disturbs the sleep of progressive politicians.”.

State Researcher
    Trollism has all but destroyed any value of on-line comments at many of the major media outlets.

Locally in Utah, the Deseret News Newspaper and KSL TV websites both have comments sections that will often provide additional information, insights, or different views than provided by the story itself. The comments sections are pretty usable. But they have to be pretty heavily moderated which means a lot of potentially useful comments never show up because some moderator decides the comment is out of line.

In contrast, the Salt Lake Tribune newspaper website's comments are all but unreadable as they are mostly un-moderated and so almost always devolve into a "I know you are but what am I" kind of exchange, or simply a bashing on some unpopular group. Comments at FoxNews are even worse anything other than the most overt profanity is fair game and all manner of disguised vulgarity is common, with almost no real content of information or ideas behind them.

That all said, I don't see the proposed solutions in the linked article really solving the problem. So a couple of folks can bid on having their comments promoted and seen. That does nothing to promote a rational exchange of ideas.

Having spent too much on comments boards (starting with usenet groups) for the last 30 years, I'm convinced the underlying problem is the lack of accountability inherent in seeming anonymity.

I'd love to see a site that commands a lot of traffic try the following model:

A modest fee ($5 a year) to register an account. The primary purpose of the fee is to require a real name and billing address to each account. This eliminates bots, including ad bots. It discourages having multiple accounts from a single person. $5 isn't much. But multiple it by 10 and I suspect that most who would tempted to open multiple accounts will think twice.

Screen/User name is non-anonymous: First and Last name or at least one name and an initial with city and State listed.

I think removing the sense of anonymity would help tremendously with trolling. Yes, there would be a certain chilling effect on what some folks were willing to post. But in the vast majority of cases, that is exactly what is needed: some chilling on trollish comments. I think the rare case of someone who has truly legit reasons for anonymity needing to find a different venue to offer some insights is a small price to pay compared to having entire sites rendered useless by trolls.

Charles
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

"With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

"Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.

for those that wish to validate their own Dark Tetrad (measurement is older and doesn't include sadism - sorry) personalities (AKA Troll quotation), here is an open source, non-validated, short psychometric instrument for educational purposes and not to be used psychological evaluation purposes.

http://personality-testing.info/tests/SD3/

answer honestly and see what categories you actually fit in...

ipse
    Last edited by solus; 04-20-2016 at 04:31 PM.
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by utbagpiper View Post

I'd love to see a site that commands a lot of traffic try the following model:

A modest fee ($5 a year) to register an account. The primary purpose of the fee is to require a real name and billing address to each account. <snip>
    Charles
    Really? I don't see that much trolling as you do. But I'm sure we visit different sites too. I have seen ultra-trolling sites too.. I then avoid them. That's best I think.

Not some type of registration requirement ... next would be a license requirement .. then fingerprinting ... then "safety classes" ... etc. We know how that goes LOL.

My position on the "dark arts" practitioners, psychologists/psychiatrists, is well known. Psychologists/psychiatrists are to be viewed with extreme suspicion. Unfortunately government agents hold these folks up as unimpeachable, to the detriment of our individual liberty. It is more difficult to hold a shrink accountable than it is to hold a cop accountable.

A careful reading of the questions will reveal that the test is a bogus bush league psych-out-stuff test designed to predetermine a outcome.

For example:
    I like to get revenge on authorities.
    Bogus question. False premise. Seeking a proper redress is not revenge. The person who is the focus (target) of your redress will most likely view your quest for a redress as revenge.

How about this:
    I have taken revenge on authorities.
    Be sure to explain that terms used in the "test" are to be used in their normal meaning...just as the courts do when deciding the constitutional fate of laws (legislative intent based on the words used) and the application of constitutional protections in criminal cases.

Definition of revenge; revenged revenging; transitive verb
    1: to avenge (as oneself) usually by retaliating in kind or degree
    2: to inflict injury in return for <revenge an insult>
    A better question should be
    I am sometimes must seek a redress of wrongs committed by authorities.
    Which of the "triad" are we now?

Predicting, via the "dark arts" what you will (could?) do is exactly how government will justify infringing upon your individual liberty...even when you have not done anything unlawful.

Anyway, the questions (test) are designed to "make you" one, or a combination, of the three.

Select all neutral, all disagree, all agree as the answers and see what the results are.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    My ...
    Anyway, trolling is easy to avoid.

If a fee is to be charged for the privilege of posting on a website then the site needs to remove all advertising that is displayed on my computer screen while I am on/in their forum.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare