• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

2 chesapeake police officers charged with assault

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
If we take the article at face value there was no contact with the 'victim', only the threat to hurt him. I notice the lack of the term 'battery.'

"In Virginia, the crimes of assault (physically threatening to hurt someone) and battery (causing injury) are usually misdemeanors.
http://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com/resources/virginia-assault-battery-laws.htm

Gonna have to wait and see how this shakes out.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

utbagpiper

Banned
It has a direct tie to another thread in the General Discussion sub-forum: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?132832-Guiding-Principles-On-Use-of-Force-LEOs

Seems it isn't the only thread about police use of force entirely un-related to OC using that thread as the justification. We've also got one about Militarized Police sending a depressed man to a psych eval.

It is not part of a general bashing attempt nor an anti-police posting.

What are current odds on how long that remains true?

I get it. It is your job to decide what crosses the line and what is legit.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Last edited:

wrearick

As the OP of this thread I can state without a doubt that my intent was not to bash LEOs. The original link was to a short article that was very sketchy on details but did raise my interest as to what the circumstances were and if I could learn anything from the event without having to experience first hand myself. I know others are very good at combing the bushes for more information and I thank SOLUS for providing the link to more details. I will honestly say that I was unaware (or didn't remember) the "related" thread grapeshot mentions so I can't really justify my post as a follow up to that thread. It was and still is, simply an article that caught my interest and was unusual in the fact that you normally don't hear of such sanctions/actions against LEOs especially where a loss of life was not involved. So, I shared the article with others in the hope of learning more.

Now that we have learned more and it does not appear to have any connection to OCing I have no problem if the moderator choses to close and or delete the thread. My apologies to any LEOs that may have been offended by my drawing attention to this occurrence.

Last edited:

TFred

Now that we have learned more and it does not appear to have any connection to OCing I have no problem if the moderator choses to close and or delete the thread. My apologies to any LEOs that may have been offended by my drawing attention to this occurrence.
Are you kidding? THE problem with bad cops is that the good cops DON'T draw attention to the bad ones, and then RUN THEM OUT of the profession. NOTHING will change until the good cops take charge of protecting their own reputations.

TFred

Thundar

Are you kidding? THE problem with bad cops is that the good cops DON'T draw attention to the bad ones, and then RUN THEM OUT of the profession. NOTHING will change until the good cops take charge of protecting their own reputations.

TFred

Peace officers that see terrible abuse of power by other peace officers and obeying the creed of the silent blue wall, tolerating the abuse of citizens, instead of being faithful to their oath are not the good ones,they are just as bad and corrupt, the silent enablers.

Live free or die,
Thundar

1245A Defender

Well,,,

Peace officers that see terrible abuse of power by other peace officers and obeying the creed of the silent blue wall, tolerating the abuse of citizens, instead of being faithful to their oath are not the good ones,they are just as bad and corrupt, the silent enablers.

Live free or die,
Thundar

As ive said before...

3% of cops are bad cops.
2% of cops ARE, good cops.
95% of cops WISH,,, they were, GOOD cops,,, wishing they could/should/would,, do Something!

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
It is a high-wire balancing act. I work w/o a safety net. :)

Buts its posters, not you, who pay the price...perhaps updating the "bashing" section of the rules to avoid some inadvertant transgressions by forum members.

After all, they all agree to abide by the rules, so should all their posts be assumed to be posted per the rules?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Buts its posters, not you, who pay the price...perhaps updating the "bashing" section of the rules to avoid some inadvertant transgressions by forum members.

After all, they all agree to abide by the rules, so should all their posts be assumed to be posted per the rules?
I do not accept creating ass-u-me.

Inadvertent rule violations are still violations. Such are not "per the rules," but subject to the rules and the Forum Rules are more than adequate.

Intent is not a free pass. It is the response that may vary.

Back on topic if you please.

Last edited: