Thread: Republican Abolitionist Harriet Tubman on the $20 will she be carrying her gun?

Republican Abolitionist Harriet Tubman on the $20 will she be carrying her gun?

When Harriet Tubman replaces Andrew Jackson on the $20 bill, will she be depicted carrying a gun?

That’s what conservatives hailing the decision want to know, pointing to the Republican abolitionist’s use of a personal pistol while conducting runaway slaves through the Underground Railroad.

“Harriet Tubman carried a small pistol with her on her rescue missions, mostly for protection from slave catchers, but also to encourage weak-hearted runaways from turning back and risking the safety of the rest of the group,” notes Tubman biographer Kate Clifford Larson. “Tubman carried a sharp-shooters rifle during the Civil War.”
    [ ... ]
    "Harriet Tubman was a woman of faith who was not afraid to act on her beliefs to fight for justice,” said Kristian Arriaga, executive director of the Becket Fund for Religious Liberty. “Her incredible moral and physical courage is an example to all Americans, as is her willingness to act on her Christian faith. She is an icon of religious liberty.”
    [ ... ]
    “Breaking: Treasury throws founder of the Democratic Party off $20 bill, replaces with gun-toting Republican,” David Burge wrote Wednesday on Twitter.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-tubman-20-bi/

There's gonna be lots of 'splainin' to be done.

ETA: From the post to 1730, now, the headline changed to Will Conservatives embrace pro-gun Harriet Tubman on the $20 bill
    Last edited by Nightmare; 04-21-2016 at 05:29 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Escaped slave, abolitionist, feminist, and armed citizen. The latter being the embodiment of equality. After all, what good are equality laws if they are disregarded by groups of men?

Yes, I'm referring to slave owners, Klansman, antis, and other such hateful groups here.

So yes, if Harriet Tubman's likeness must go on a $20 (and I bet Jackson would have hated being on it, given his disdain for centralized banks), then I hope the Powers That Be depict her correctly: strong-willed and with her pistol at hand, a symbol of both her Liberty and her independent streak.

BTW, I've had this conversation elsewhere. While Harriet Tubman's contributions to this nation are sizeable, I dare say they don't compare to those of inventors such as Nikola Tesla, Thomas Edison, or Alexander Graham Bell. Then again, Sacajawea's contributions played an even bigger role than these inventors' (and all she got was a limited run dollar coin, but I digress.)

So I guess the choice to honour someone other than Jackson (because that is it is, honouring someone's memory and contributions by placing their likeness on currency) is being done with the following restrictions:

Merit.
    Must be female.
    Must also be of colour.

Most importantly, I must ask: why is this decision generating so much outrage, praise, and general attention? I can't remember the last time my colleagues or FaceBook had so much interest in monetary affairs of the nation.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	142925d1461195509-harriet-tubman-replace-andrew-jackson-twenty-dollar-bill-meme4246403391.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	13065
    Bread and circuses.
    Last edited by Rusty Young Man; 04-21-2016 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Clarification
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

Founder's Club Member
    <chuckle>

Political correct-ers hoist on their own petard.

Hahhahahahaaaa!!

I'll bet somebody gets reamed for not doing their research.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

A true heroine, right on the money. Wes Pruden TWT

This is good news. It’s reassuring to know that some of the kids are actually learning something about the history of their country. But President Obama’s minions must be careful with the role-model talk. Miss Tubman packed heat, and was proud of it. The National Rifle Association has a public-relations moment at hand, and should make Harriet Tubman an honorary member of the NRA. Somewhere on a rifle range in the great beyond she would smile. Another honor, and no dues.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...eroine-right-/

gun totin Republican.

God Bless her

What's "funny" is that everyone is talking about the face on the 20frn, nobody is addressing the issue of the central bank.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

There are lots of great people overlooked for their accomplishments. Who appears in our money is a political statement and nothing more.
    Except, I bet the Sbux baristas are behind this. They wanted to step up the compensation from $2 bills to $20 bills by making the $20 the second amendment bill of choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...ty-dollar_bill

Go back to lady liberty .... alas, my opinion means little to those folks in DC

In reading Today's Barrons I stumbled across the real reason for the War of Northern Aggression....

“Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

LOL. Very good. That's a good bit of why I left SC, the steady flow of Yankees all telling Southerons how to do it better. This one left to go north, kind'a like a charge-carrier leaving vacancies for the south bound 'hole flow.

My first principle living here is to not bring on the sickness that I fled. If the old Islanders want to do something with which I disagree, well it's their traditions that made this place what it is and what I sought out.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    LOL. Very good. That's a good bit of why I left SC, the steady flow of Yankees all telling Southerons how to do it better. This one left to go north, kind'a like a charge-carrier leaving vacancies for the south bound 'hole flow.

My first principle living here is to not bring on the sickness that I fled. If the old Islanders want to do something with which I disagree, well it's their traditions that made this place what it is and what I sought out.
    Wish the Californians, who are running from that political toilet, would leave the manure behind. They keep bringing their anti-freedom policies with them and vote to make Washington the same toilet that they are running from.

Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post
    What's "funny" is that everyone is talking about the face on the 20frn, nobody is addressing the issue of the central bank.

Great point!!

Thomas Jefferson was definitely opposed to fractional reserve bankers, and said so. Readers, google his comment about posterity waking up to find the land bequeathed by forefathers owned by bankers.

Of course, the central fractional reserve bank--The Federal Reserve--insults Jefferson by featuring him on their two-dollar lie...er...bill...er...promise to pay in gold...er...oh, screw it.

And, then there is Andrew Jackson, pictured on the $20 lie. Jackson is on record hating fractional reserve bankers. Something like, "...[you] are a nest of vipers and I will route you out!" He ultimately succeeded in preventing the second central bank. But, there he is--pictured on the $20 bill. With not a mention of the massive effort Jackson put into preventing exactly the central bank that we have today in the Federal Reserve. Nice smear, jerks.
    Last edited by Citizen; 07-03-2016 at 07:20 PM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

And Jackson paid off the Federal Debt.

This was in keeping with the notion Jefferson (who died in debt) advocated saying one generation should not borrow money to spend on itself but leave the debt to the next generation...

“Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Cool WOW New Face On Double Sawbuck With a REVOLVER

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post
    Wish the Californians, who are running from that political toilet, would leave the manure behind. They keep bringing their anti-freedom policies with them and vote to make Washington the same toilet that they are running from.

I soundly agree with your sentiment Freedom1Man. I remember an initiative the antis tried to shove down our throats here in 1996 I-676. I worked to pull their reins in and was extremely pleased when the ballots were all counted the vote was nearly 80% NO. The antis were soundly defeated.

The latest round from Mikey Bloombutt had me concerned but not too worried. Imagine my consternation when the 2A was soundly beat into the ground. I am still incensed by this but I digress.

Until opening this thread I'd NEVER heard of this woman before now. Seems I should have learned of this woman while in grade school. No...my teachers instead were too busy LYING TO ME about how great Abe Lincoln was. I would need to do more research but on the surface I would say go for it. Tho I would want her to be pictured with her revolver plainly visible and I mean PLAINLY SEEN. That way the first time little Johnny comes in for Show and Tell and unfolds the new double sawbuck with a picture of a black lady holding a revolver and he is whisked to the principals office for to be suspended... Well y'all can guess the crap storm that would likely ensue. I'd LOVE to be visiting that school on that day.