Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28

Thread: Anyone DOING anything?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Holly Hill
    Posts
    10

    Anyone DOING anything?

    Portilla and Gardner stopped Open Carry in FLorida. They used lies, broke laws (ethics violations, anyway) and I hear nothing in the media, nothing in the forums, and... well, nothing.

    Is anyone DOING anything?

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Swamp
    Posts
    76
    Nope. We are all just taking our morning after pill, repositioning our donut cushion, and seeking counseling.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Holly Hill
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper1 View Post
    Nope. We are all just taking our morning after pill, repositioning our donut cushion, and seeking counseling.
    That's great. Did you take your snark pill as well, this morning?

  4. #4
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,611
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon70 View Post
    Portilla and Gardner stopped Open Carry in FLorida. They used lies, broke laws (ethics violations, anyway) and I hear nothing in the media, nothing in the forums, and... well, nothing.

    Is anyone DOING anything?
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper1 View Post
    Nope. We are all just taking our morning after pill, repositioning our donut cushion, and seeking counseling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon70 View Post
    That's great. Did you take your snark pill as well, this morning?
    Welcome to OCDO - more good people here than you seem to think.

    If you have read the Florida sub-forum, it would become obvious that there is much effort being exerted by national orgs and local people with boots on the ground - a good number of these Floridians are contributors here on OCDO.
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/fo...php?93-Florida

    My guess is that user sniper1 was directing his sarcasm, not at the lack of effort to push OC through the Florida legislature, but to your apparent belief that nothing was being done to facilitate that goal. It is in violation of our general standards and Forum Rules to speak insultingly to people also.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Swamp
    Posts
    76
    No it wasn't directed really at anything. Just expressing my aggravation at the situation. Not my intent to insult, my apologies

  6. #6
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,611
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper1 View Post
    No it wasn't directed really at anything. Just expressing my aggravation at the situation. Not my intent to insult, my apologies
    I wasn't pointing my finger at a particular person - just issuing a generic caution. No apology needed.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Holly Hill
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper1 View Post
    No it wasn't directed really at anything. Just expressing my aggravation at the situation. Not my intent to insult, my apologies
    I just finished reading the stories of Oklahoma's win, and see the almost total media blackout on Protilla (even when he was giving us the heave-ho the media was almost totally silent) and signed up.... while still angry.

    Aside from some efforts to do open carry walks and a few arrests (I was detained for carrying on my own property) I'm not seeing anyone do anything that gets the press involved. Without that media coverage, we're dead in the water.

    So my first post was a bit of a blanket statement... and I apologize for that, but can anyone tell me if there are things going on and where I can get involved?

  8. #8
    Regular Member jammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    62

    Thumbs up Email scott:

    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon70 View Post
    Portilla and Gardner stopped Open Carry in FLorida. They used lies, broke laws (ethics violations, anyway) and I hear nothing in the media, nothing in the forums, and... well, nothing.

    Is anyone DOING anything?
    I wrote to Gov Scott and reminded him of his campaign promise to repeal the 1987 law that made OC AGAINST THE LAW IN FL. Maybe if all of us would flood him with emails, he may repeal it before he leaves office, (I KNOW WISHFUL THINKING, BUT IT CAN'T HURT)

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Holly Hill
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by jammer View Post
    I wrote to Gov Scott and reminded him of his campaign promise to repeal the 1987 law that made OC AGAINST THE LAW IN FL. Maybe if all of us would flood him with emails, he may repeal it before he leaves office, (I KNOW WISHFUL THINKING, BUT IT CAN'T HURT)
    I contacted his office and he said he would sign any bill repealing open carry, but reminded me that he is administrative branch and has no power in around or over the Legislative branch.

  10. #10
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,611
    Quote Originally Posted by jammer View Post
    I wrote to Gov Scott and reminded him of his campaign promise to repeal the 1987 law that made OC AGAINST THE LAW IN FL. Maybe if all of us would flood him with emails, he may repeal it before he leaves office, (I KNOW WISHFUL THINKING, BUT IT CAN'T HURT)
    Governor Scott cannot "repeal" statute law. In this case both the senate and the house would have to approve in order to pass such a bill forward for the governors signature. Then and only then would the old law be "repealed."

    Follow a bill through the process: Bill originating in the Senate

    https://www.flsenate.gov/About/HowAnIdeaBecomesALaw

    The real issue is that some good bills do not even make it to committees, because the committee chairperson holds the bill back, does not allow presentation = effectively a pocket veto. This has been part of the problem with open carry bills.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 04-22-2016 at 10:18 PM. Reason: formatting
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  11. #11
    Regular Member rightwinglibertarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Seattle WA
    Posts
    881
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Governor Scott cannot "repeal" statute law. In this case both the senate and the house would have to approve in order to pass such a bill forward for the governors signature. Then and only then would the old law be "repealed."

    Follow a bill through the process: Bill originating in the Senate

    https://www.flsenate.gov/About/HowAnIdeaBecomesALaw

    The real issue is that some good bills do not even make it to committees, because the committee chairperson holds the bill back, does not allow presentation = effectively a pocket veto. This has been part of the problem with open carry bills.
    Well firstly it isnt law. the degree is unlawful. Second since people are so slow of mind at understanding that a simple executive order prohibiting any and all restriction and specifically mandating large fines for any public establishment including all educational facilities that insists on violating what is law. The Constitution. The real issue is unbelief in the Constitution. As soon as that is accepted, all this patchwork of horse manure will disappear. I think my profile picture says it all and if that isnt good enough for some insane reason this will be

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TkaSIwpg.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	13066
    "Which part of shall not be infringed is so difficult to understand"?

    "Any and all restrictions on the bearing of arms in public places are nullified as per the Second Amendment"

    Conservative Broadcast || Google Plus profile

  12. #12
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,611
    Quote Originally Posted by rightwinglibertarian View Post
    Well firstly it isnt law. the degree is unlawful. Second since people are so slow of mind at understanding that a simple executive order prohibiting any and all restriction and specifically mandating large fines for any public establishment including all educational facilities that insists on violating what is law. The Constitution. The real issue is unbelief in the Constitution. As soon as that is accepted, all this patchwork of horse manure will disappear. I think my profile picture says it all and if that isnt good enough for some insane reason this will be

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TkaSIwpg.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	13066
    Nice soap box speech (nice words for rant) with which few would disagree BUT of little practical, workable benefit in solving the problem in the foreseeable future.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  13. #13
    Regular Member rightwinglibertarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Seattle WA
    Posts
    881
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Nice soap box speech (nice words for rant) with which few would disagree BUT of little practical, workable benefit in solving the problem in the foreseeable future.
    You disagree yourself. You don't believe in the absolute right to bear arms. If even 50% of people would exercise their rights as the Constitution demands we have the right to, what you see in Commie-fornia, Illinois-ing and most of New England wouldn't even exist. It is our duty to exercise and defend against tyranny from within and without and even the 2A itself recognises that the people are the Militia and this is back up by multiple statements from the Founding Fathers. The solution is to exercise our rights en masse. BLM Nevada and Oregon were clearly not big enough to have the needed impact and the same principle can and should be used every single time an attempt is made against our freedom and the very foundation of our nation. The Constitution.
    "Which part of shall not be infringed is so difficult to understand"?

    "Any and all restrictions on the bearing of arms in public places are nullified as per the Second Amendment"

    Conservative Broadcast || Google Plus profile

  14. #14
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,869
    Quote Originally Posted by rightwinglibertarian View Post
    You disagree yourself. You don't believe in the absolute right to bear arms. If even 50% of people would exercise their rights as the Constitution demands we have the right to, what you see in Commie-fornia, Illinois-ing and most of New England wouldn't even exist. It is our duty to exercise and defend against tyranny from within and without and even the 2A itself recognises (sic) that the people are the Militia and this is back up by multiple statements from the Founding Fathers. The solution is to exercise our rights en masse. BLM Nevada and Oregon were clearly not big enough to have the needed impact and the same principle can and should be used every single time an attempt is made against our freedom and the very foundation of our nation. The Constitution.
    sorry say what?

    hummm...sounds like your rant is recommending civil disorder, actually bordering on proposing sedition on this pubic forum. those individual(s) who gave their lives or had their lives ruined during the recent BLM OR standoff solved what except to have the feds resolve heightened to prevent if from occurring again.

    especially since quote: The Bundy standoff was an armed confrontation between protesters and law enforcement that developed from a 20-year legal dispute between the United States Bureau of Land Management (BLM) and cattle rancher Cliven Bundy, over unpaid grazing fees on federally owned land in southeastern Nevada. unquote

    ipse
    Last edited by solus; 04-22-2016 at 11:19 PM.
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Holly Hill
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by rightwinglibertarian View Post
    You disagree yourself. You don't believe in the absolute right to bear arms. If even 50% of people would exercise their rights as the Constitution demands we have the right to, what you see in Commie-fornia, Illinois-ing and most of New England wouldn't even exist. It is our duty to exercise and defend against tyranny from within and without and even the 2A itself recognises that the people are the Militia and this is back up by multiple statements from the Founding Fathers. The solution is to exercise our rights en masse. BLM Nevada and Oregon were clearly not big enough to have the needed impact and the same principle can and should be used every single time an attempt is made against our freedom and the very foundation of our nation. The Constitution.
    The solution lies in education and activism. Activists bring the issue to light, but the people who are activists MUST be versed in the facts, and have a clear goal and the understanding to reach that goal and explain WHY they are trying to reach it, if others will join them.

    My goal is open carry. It reduces crime, but even more than that, it's a 1st amendment issue that cannot be ignored any longer.

    When I carry a weapon openly, I'm making a statement. I'm saying, "I am not a victim, if you seek someone to rob, hurt, or kill, then I am not the target you seek."

    In Texas vs, Johnson, Gregory Lee Johnson burned a flag outside a campaign rally for Ronald Regan, violating Texas law. "The majority of the Court, according to Justice William Brennan, agreed with Johnson and held that flag burning constitutes a form of "symbolic speech" that is protected by the First Amendment. The majority noted that freedom of speech protects actions that society may find very offensive, but society's outrage alone is not justification for suppressing free speech. In particular, the majority noted that the Texas law discriminated upon viewpoint, i.e., although the law punished actions, such as flag burning, that might arouse anger in others, it specifically exempted from prosecution actions that were respectful of venerated objects, e.g., burning and burying a worn-out flag. The majority said that the government could not discriminate in this manner based solely upon viewpoint."


    Open carry is an expression of free speech in my opinion. When you carry openly, an action that police and security guards, hunters and fishermen to every day, ONLY because you dislike the idea of open carry, then you suppress free speech and chill the rights protected by the 1st amendment.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Holly Hill
    Posts
    10
    I honestly expect to see Norman to go to the SCOTUS. I think Florida high court will rule open carry is legal, then the state will appeal to SCOTUS.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 04-23-2016 at 07:00 AM. Reason: quote deleted

  17. #17
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,611
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon70 View Post
    --snipped-- Every open carry walk, every open carry meeting is an armed opposition to a government authority. This is not only allowed but demanded by our Constitution. It is OUR RIGHTS to protect, and sometimes that means shedding blood. It means shedding blood in Tennessee, and it meant it in Colfax.
    Absurd contention that every OC event is armed opposition to our government. Such statements will not be tolerated on OCDO.

    Most such meet-ups are just friends getting together doing what friends do. A few are political in nature designed to publicize a difference of opinion. Even empty holsters have been utilized when and where carrying the tool has not been legal.

    "Shedding blood" is not a consideration acceptable on this forum in order to promote or cause our beliefs to be forced on others.
    The Forum Rules are very specific to this regard - "WE ADVOCATE FOR THE 'LAW-ABIDING' ONLY: Posts advocating illegal acts of any kind are NOT welcome here. Even if you feel that a law is unconstitutional we do not break it, we repeal it or defeat it in the courts."

    That is quite clear and sanctions will be imposed on transgressors.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  18. #18
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,611
    This thread is about Florida OC legislation, not about BLM or Bundy or any other off-topic reply.

    Stay on topic, please.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  19. #19
    Regular Member rightwinglibertarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Seattle WA
    Posts
    881
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Absurd contention that every OC event is armed opposition to our government. Such statements will not be tolerated on OCDO.
    This I have to agree with. We don't OC with the intent of blasting everybody in our way. We do it because it is our right to do so.

    Oh and while i'm at it, it's legal and lawful even in Florida. The 2A trumps contrary state legislation. In fact Constitutional carry is legal in all 50 states. The 2A requires and demands no less and therefore as Americans we must demand no less. You do not ask permission to do something you have the right to do in the first place.
    "Which part of shall not be infringed is so difficult to understand"?

    "Any and all restrictions on the bearing of arms in public places are nullified as per the Second Amendment"

    Conservative Broadcast || Google Plus profile

  20. #20
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,611
    Quote Originally Posted by rightwinglibertarian View Post
    This I have to agree with. We don't OC with the intent of blasting everybody in our way. We do it because it is our right to do so.

    Oh and while i'm at it, it's legal and lawful even in Florida. The 2A trumps contrary state legislation. In fact Constitutional carry is legal in all 50 states. The 2A requires and demands no less and therefore as Americans we must demand no less. You do not ask permission to do something you have the right to do in the first place.
    Come, come now RWL. You know better than to insert opinion in place of law, not withstanding how noble that opinion might be.

    Constitutional carry is not legal in Florida much less in all 50 states. False information can harm people who do not see through the veil you wrap around the issue.

    Do not repeat or continue in this vein - serious consequences will result.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  21. #21
    Regular Member jammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    62

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Governor Scott cannot "repeal" statute law. In this case both the senate and the house would have to approve in order to pass such a bill forward for the governors signature. Then and only then would the old law be "repealed."

    Follow a bill through the process: Bill originating in the Senate

    https://www.flsenate.gov/About/HowAnIdeaBecomesALaw

    The real issue is that some good bills do not even make it to committees, because the committee chairperson holds the bill back, does not allow presentation = effectively a pocket veto. This has been part of the problem with open carry bills.
    What about an Executive Order? you know like Obama does.

  22. #22
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,611
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Governor Scott cannot "repeal" statute law. In this case both the senate and the house would have to approve in order to pass such a bill forward for the governors signature. Then and only then would the old law be "repealed."

    --snipped--
    Quote Originally Posted by jammer View Post
    What about an Executive Order? you know like Obama does.
    Executive order could only effect those actual state agencies that fall under the purview and control of the executive branch. Public land and buildings owned or leased by municipalities (cities, towns & counties) are not in that group. As also private property is not.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 04-23-2016 at 09:06 PM.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  23. #23
    Regular Member 77zach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Marion County, FL
    Posts
    3,005
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon70 View Post
    I honestly expect to see Norman to go to the SCOTUS. I think Florida high court will rule open carry is legal, then the state will appeal to SCOTUS.
    The Fl SC will uphold the open carry ban. The reasons I have outlined in other threads but basically they have little integrity, hate guns in the hands of mundanes and believe the right to bear arms is a second class right.

    Should Fl SC overturn the OC ban (right after it snows in Miami in July) I doubt the state will appeal to the SCOTUS.

    Any solution lies in the legislature, and nothing can be done until after November elections.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

    I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

  24. #24
    Regular Member rightwinglibertarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Seattle WA
    Posts
    881
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Come, come now RWL. You know better than to insert opinion in place of law, not withstanding how noble that opinion might be.

    Constitutional carry is not legal in Florida much less in all 50 states. False information can harm people who do not see through the veil you wrap around the issue.

    Do not repeat or continue in this vein - serious consequences will result.
    Opinion?! The 2A is not up for debate. Shall not be infringed means just that. False information indeed. You're training people to be cowards and slaves. Attitudes like what I've seen here would result in a hanging in colonial days and now I see brazen refusal to accept the Constitution or even behave like an honest American. So go ahead. Ban me because I don't want to be in a place that tells lies to it's members.
    "Which part of shall not be infringed is so difficult to understand"?

    "Any and all restrictions on the bearing of arms in public places are nullified as per the Second Amendment"

    Conservative Broadcast || Google Plus profile

  25. #25
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,611
    Quote Originally Posted by rightwinglibertarian View Post
    Opinion?! The 2A is not up for debate. Shall not be infringed means just that. False information indeed. You're training people to be cowards and slaves. Attitudes like what I've seen here would result in a hanging in colonial days and now I see brazen refusal to accept the Constitution or even behave like an honest American. So go ahead. Ban me because I don't want to be in a place that tells lies to it's members.
    Deliberate, extremely insulting post.

    As you wish.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 04-23-2016 at 09:54 PM. Reason: added
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •