• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cincinnati Trip

Ahareht

Hey all,

After the upcoming walk in Oxford, I was thinking of stopping in Cincinnati on my way home. I have a question concerning OC there, specifically about my Kriss 9mm carbine. Is the Assualt weapon (magazine ban) still in place in Cincinnati? I have found conflicting stories online, but I'm pretty sure state preemption allows me to carry it (so long as I leave my 33 round magazine at home) with my 17 round magazines.

I expect LEO interaction and have dealt with it before (both as a cop and OCing), but a friend of mine wants to tag along, if for nothing else than to see how to handle LEO interaction. I'm not afraid of being arrested (I don't think it will come to that), but wanted to be sure going in (if I'm placed in that situation) that state law protects me.

Thanks,
Ahareht

BB62

Accomplished Advocate

Brian D.

As stated, that would be perfectly legal. However, outside of group walks, long gun carry is still far from the norm, especially in urban areas. I would anticipate law enforcement interaction when doing that.

Not advising you to not do it, but strongly suggest audio/video recording for your own protection.

Ahareht

Will do Brian. I use Bambuser, which uploads to my internet cloud file as I film. Even if they take my phone I still have the video.

Last edited:

Ahareht

Called District 1 just to give a heads up and they were not pleased to say the least. They wanted to know exactly where and exact times etc. I told them I didn't have that info right now, but if I figure it out I'll call them back.

Anyone have a recommendation for a gun friendly restaurant in Cincinnati?

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
outside of group walks, long gun carry is still far from the norm, especially in urban areas.

Not advising you to not do it.

I am at a loss as to understanding the long gun OC in your AO. Is there a restriction of some sort on handguns? Something similar to what Texas had to go through? Thanks, sometimes I just don't understand and I need a tad of clarification.

Brian D.

What I was trying to state--thought it was clear enough--is that open carry of a long gun is far less commonly seen than OC'ing a handgun. Although the latter practice isn't exactly commonplace itself.

When we've done these open carry educational (and in other instances political) walks, there no legal issues these days with any specific firearms type. Used to be that Ohio had a very strange law that stated any firearm with a magazine of over 30 rounds, loaded into the gun, made it an "automatic weapon" and was therefore severely restricted. Also, some cities had "assault weapons" bans, prohibitions against possession or even ownership of many semi-automatic guns. Those ordinances were all pre-empted by Ohio Revised Code 9.68 a decade or so back.

Oh, and sometimes when doing the walks we make a point of OC with long guns because they show up better for the cameras, more than any other reason.

Last edited:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Called District 1 just to give a heads up and they were not pleased to say the least. They wanted to know exactly where and exact times etc. I told them I didn't have that info right now, but if I figure it out I'll call them back.

Well, that was mighty un-neighborly of them! You called, which you certainly didn't/don't have to do, and they copped (no pun intended) an attitude?

I can't help you with a downtown restaurant recommendation, but I might be forced to join you if you choose to carry without notice.

I'd call the district back and ask if copping an attitude is standard procedure for dealing with people who voluntarily disclose that they'll be carrying.

Feel free to elaborate on exactly what their reaction was.

Brian D.

Downtown? Nothing is popping up in my head right now. By the way, do you have a carry license? If not, that would limit you to places without a Class D liquor permit, which is to say premises sales/consumption permit. Only handgun licensees can carry in such establishments, simply put.

Ahareht

Brian,

Yes, I have a carry license. Thanks for the response though, guess I'll just see on Saturday.

Brian D.

Assuming the event at Miami doesn't get rained out, we could chat a little during the walk. Maybe by then I'll think of with a suggestion for downtown Cincinnati dining.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Do keep an eye on the Facebook page, because the weather forecast is not good at the moment.

As Brian said, a rainout is threatened. In that case, I *may* change the date to May 7, which unfortunately is the weekend before finals.