• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Background checks and purchase

solus

Cmdr...you are right a picture is worth a thousand words...

good choice...

ipse

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

OP you were politely told that NO you cannot receive a handgun in person outside your state of residence. You can purchase a handgun out of state or online, but you cannot take possession of it. You have to have it shipped(there is where the shipping comes in) to a FFL in your state for transfer.

As far as Washington statutes you ALSO said you did not want to pay the state sales tax. You brought it up to begin with.
As has been said many times here "If you do not like the answers, don't ask the questions".

I'll ask this slowly so you can think about your answer. D-o Y-o-u u-n-d-e-r-s-t-a-n-d n-o-w?

OC for ME

... I'll ask this slowly so you can think about your answer. D-o Y-o-u u-n-d-e-r-s-t-a-n-d n-o-w?
I added extra spaces cuz me eyes ain't what they used to be...it looked like one long word...me being too lazy to actually read the teeny tiny print on me teeny tiny phone screen. ;)

Dave1776

OP you were politely told that NO you cannot receive a handgun in person outside your state of residence. You can purchase a handgun out of state or online, but you cannot take possession of it. You have to have it shipped(there is where the shipping comes in) to a FFL in your state for transfer.

As far as Washington statutes you ALSO said you did not want to pay the state sales tax. You brought it up to begin with.
As has been said many times here "If you do not like the answers, don't ask the questions".

I'll ask this slowly so you can think about your answer. D-o Y-o-u u-n-d-e-r-s-t-a-n-d n-o-w?

But the question was not related to the tax! You morons kept bringing that up I can quote any number that are to stupid in here to first understand it was not about paying or not paying the tax it was about buying out of state and from the responses it isn't clear as some said yes some said no!

And no worries I am removing the bookmark for this forum and deleting any subscriptions for responses so I don't have to visit here again as every time a question is asked it seems some of you all want to be idiots rather then polite gun owners helping gun owners or curious to be owners!

JoeSparky

Centurion
But the question was not related to the tax! You morons kept bringing that up I can quote any number that are to stupid in here to first understand it was not about paying or not paying the tax it was about buying out of state and from the responses it isn't clear as some said yes some said no!

And no worries I am removing the bookmark for this forum and deleting any subscriptions for responses so I don't have to visit here again as every time a question is asked it seems some of you all want to be idiots rather then polite gun owners helping gun owners or curious to be owners!
Is someone forcing you to be here and engage? I have tried humor. I have tried to be concise. It seems there is one poster, dave1776, who is to focused on one subject and is unable to recognize that there are several layers of laws one must comply with to do what you want to do legally.
One this forum we advocate for lawful behavior. None here have done anything but attempt to give you the info you need to do so.
If this is a problem for you no one is forcing to to be here.

solus

and yet you hurl insults at the members even tho, the first sentence in your initial post states,

YOUR quote: I live in Washington state in Seattle and they have recently implemented a new tax on gun and ammo sales. So I honestly do not want to buy a gun in Seattle as it will just cost me more. Now I am going on a trip in about 2 weeks to Montana where there is no sales tax. unquote.

now Dave, your THIRD sentence asks a question about buying while in Montana...at this point this question was more than adequately answered w/cites to challenge those if you did not believe or like our responses.

two members stated, w/cites, NO you can't and a third member collaborated the first two's answers were in fact correct, thus validating the responses.

your second query, after insulting a member's intelligence, asked later in the thread, was again appropriately responded to and....

yet we are the morons and stupid...hummmm...

sorry dave, when you start hurling insults you might not like the feedback to the insults...

your future inputs will be missed...

ipse

WalkingWolf

Hi All

Quick question. I live in Washington state in Seattle and they have recently implemented a new tax on gun and ammo sales. So I honestly do not want to buy a gun in Seattle as it will just cost me more.

Now I am going on a trip in about 2 weeks to Montana where there is no sales tax.

Can I buy a handgun there even though living in Washington?

Secondly the trips about a 2 week trip on average how long does the average and normal background check take? As I assume I can not pick up the handgun until the background check is completed so if I can purchase there I would have to make sure I can get the background check finished before I return home so I can pick up the handgun on the return trip!

You brought up the tax from the git go! Now just a suggestion you might consider not violating the rules with blatant name calling. You have been treated fairly, and politely with answers to questions YOU raised. It is clear you did not like the answers so now you think a temper tantrum, and name calling will get answers you like.

JoeSparky

Centurion
Someone strikes me as the winner of a brand new corvette with any and all options in any color available who has a hissy fit cuz the bow tied arround it on delivery is from side to side and not front to back as well.

1245A Defender

Wowwie!!!

dave is quite a guy,,, seeya!

BTW,, in case he looks, or anybody else might wonder...

When a FFL in Washington receives a gun for BG check and transfer to you,
He is required by some relatively new Washington State Law to collect SALES TAX!

Thats right,, you are gonna pay sales tax, on your untaxed, out of state purchase....

JoeSparky

Centurion
dave is quite a guy,,, seeya!

BTW,, in case he looks, or anybody else might wonder...

When a FFL in Washington receives a gun for BG check and transfer to you,
He is required by some relatively new Washington State Law to collect SALES TAX!

Thats right,, you are gonna pay sales tax, on your untaxed, out of state purchase....

Is this the sales tax on the fee the FFL is actually charging one to have the previously purchased firearm transferred to the new owner OR the total amount of the original sale Plus ffl transfer fees?

solus

Is this the sales tax on the fee the FFL is actually charging one to have the previously purchased firearm transferred to the new owner OR the total amount of the original sale Plus ffl transfer fees?

my understanding it is on the fee charged...no do not have a cite...
ipse

HPmatt

Sales taxes and Use taxes are state specific, as well as regional and local/transit taxes, as spelled out by State Legislature/Constitution. You also have interstate participation in pacts regarding jurisdiction of Sales/Use Taxes on Internet purchases.

The WA State Comptroller (or the KY Comptroller reciprocating w WA) typically would audit shipments from a Seller - say Buds - and track WA state purchases/shipments, rather than go after individuals, you would then send letters/notice to WA state residents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1245A Defender

Well,,,

I am only knowing what my friendly FFL told me,,, It is a sales tax on the value of the Gun,,
not sure but probably the transfer fee as well.

my understanding it is on the fee charged...no do not have a cite...
ipse

Being you are in NC, I dont know where you would get your Understanding,,, you never paid the tax in Washington,
cause if you had looked it up,, I havent either,,, one of us would have a cite...

Sales taxes and Use taxes are state specific, as well as regional and local/transit taxes, as spelled out by State Legislature/Constitution. You also have interstate participation in pacts regarding jurisdiction of Sales/Use Taxes on Internet purchases.

The WA State Comptroller (or the KY Comptroller reciprocating w WA) typically would audit shipments from a Seller - say Buds - and track WA state purchases/shipments, rather than go after individuals, you would then send letters/notice to WA state residents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont know how KY could figure into this,,, unless there is a Dallas in KY,,, I didnt look,,,
and the David is talking about buying a gun in Montana,,, Not KY, or Texas anyway...
We are only talking One package going somewhere, Not some Interstate Pact...
It is STATE specific Only,, An I mean Only Washington...

WalkingWolf

I will try to find the link, but the firearm tax is $25 dollars on the transfer of the gun. Seattle city government claims that the dealer is being taxed. There is also a .05 tax on each round of ammunition sold, again on the dealer, not the seller.:lol:

Both taxes are separate from the state sales tax on the dollar amount of the gun. We all know the dealer will include the tax into the price of guns, and ammunition so basically Seattle buyers will pay a sales tax, on the firearm tax.

http://www.seattle.gov/council/issues/addressing-gun-safety-issues-in-seattle

Last edited:

solus

Tks Cmdr, i searched RCW & DOL statutes this morning and couldn't find anything except what is contained in 9.41.113 (3)(e) stating the FFL may charge a fair administrative fee for processing transfer paperwork.

other aspect i couldn't find was is there a VAT charged during xfers.

ipse

added...should have read your cite first re VAT:

Is the interstate transfer of a firearm from a licensed dealer subject to sales tax or use tax?
Yes. An in-state firearms dealer involved in the transfer of a firearm from an out-of state licensed firearms dealer to an unlicensed person in this state (interstate transfers) remains responsible for collecting use tax from the transferee.
The tax due is generally determined by the purchase price paid by the transferee to the seller, which includes freight, delivery and insurance charges. If this purchase price is not known, or if the transferee acquires the firearm in a manner other than an arms-length sales transaction, the firearms dealer must determine the taxable amount by using the current fair market value of the firearm as provided by RCW 82.12.010. Current fair market value may be determined by the insured value, a recent appraisal, or a reliable resource, such as a respected publisher of gun values. Values are subject to audit
verification.

Last edited:

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Simple, no you can not buy a HG unless you are a resident of that state. I know you don't want to pay the BS $25, then just go to a gun store outside of Seattle like Precise Shooter. In WA you can usually take it same day if you have a CPL, otherwise you are going to have to wait a few days for the local BGC also.