• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Youth Gun Safety Event by Louisville Metro Police

poetdante

21e04bb5cf3b3257ff2f3259ef6d1cd9.jpg

LMPD is having a youth gun safety event on May 18th at the Beechmont Center. This looks like the exact same youth gun safety program the Lexington officer spoke of at the Moms Demand Action meeting Saturday. I hope it will be conducted and presented to the same degree of professionalism that officer showed.

If I am not mistaken, Beechmont terrace is where several, if not many, of Louisville's shootings have occurred. I intend to go and see how I can help with youth and their understanding of handling and respecting firearms as tools. It is a good way to reach out to a part of the community that I have not had the chance of visiting. Anyone want to join me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

poetdante

Best case scenario: OC. It would be nice if there was a broad range of ages, even those not targeted with the program. It would allow for more exposure and contact with not only LEO but with gun owners.

EDIT:https://louisvilleky.gov/government/parks/beechmont-community-center

I have sent the following email to the aforementioned contact personnel in the email.

Dear Officers Washington and Kitchen,

I received an email about your Youth Gun Safety event on May 18th at Beecher Community Center. I wish to applaud you for your efforts in helping the community with educating children on respecting firearms. I had the pleasure of hearing an officer with the Lexington police department talk about safe gun storage and handling and he mentioned the Eddie Eagle program. I plan on attending with several of my friends that are also involved in promoting the safe use of firearms. We would like to openly carry sidearms to this event. It will hopefully offer a perspective on guns and gun owners to many in this community that may have a slightly different view on the subject. I would like to know if there is any way that I or any that come with me may help.

Last edited:

Animalou812

poetdante

One thing that has noticeably been missing from this entire thread, including the LMPD notice of the event, is the fact that the Eddie Eagle program is an NRA program. I am glad this is going to be held, if it is done right. It is a great program. I am a little surprised that they decided that they don't want any of the NRA's stink on it. Does anybody know anything about Councilman Johnson? Pro-gun, anti-gun, maybe NRA member?

Ah yes, the program IS an NRA program. When the Lexington officer said that the Moms Demand Action folks looked like they were going to vomit. Arhart, am I remembering correctly?

Done right? Is there a message beyond "stop, don't touch the gun, tell an adult" for the younger age groups? Come to think of it, I found an old DVD of this program in a bin at Good Will. Shame I didn't pick it up then...

On the Councilman. https://louisvilleky.gov/government/metro-council-district-21/about-dan-johnson
he wrote and led the Board in passing both a gun lock ordinance and an ordinance prohibiting the sale of weapons to minors.

From a Wave3 story
He also buys and sells knives and jewelry at swap meets on the weekends

Maybe if he is into knives he is into guns?

When allegedly threatened last year by the Council President, his solution was to have a security guard rather than bring a guard, because of the law saying guns had to be allowed.
http://www.courier-journal.com/stor...claims-council-president-threatened/28070371/
A recent change in state law does allow residents to bring firearms into metro buildings, and Johnson said he might file a resolution seeking support to bring back the security guard.

Here is his FaceBook profile. https://www.facebook.com/Councilman-Dan-Johnson-743103182403038/
He has the same image as in the email in his profile.

Last edited:

solus

poetdante

So it looks like the Councilman is/was unaware of it being an NRA program or is choosing to ignor it. Check out the FB photo and comments for details

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
We would like to openly carry sidearms to this event.

Why do you ask permission to exercise a Right? This gives them the option to intimidate you if they so choose. If you are "legal" Do so.

This , the EE program is great stuff. We had a "Moms" thing recently and they were adament about NOT teaching children. They wanted to teach adults, and have them teach their own kids.

poetdante

Why do you ask permission to exercise a Right? This gives them the option to intimidate you if they so choose. If you are "legal" Do so.

This , the EE program is great stuff. We had a "Moms" thing recently and they were adament about NOT teaching children. They wanted to teach adults, and have them teach their own kids.

I agree, I was being too polite, but I was not asking permission. I should have said "some of us may be open carrying". One way to look at my email to them "we would like to open carry in hopes of accomplishing X, and so we will do it". I have never had bad encounters with LMPD when I open carry, and I can't speak for anyone else. I'll be optimistic and bank on them playing ball.

poetdante

I guess my email to them was unclear :/

Thanks for your response. We will not need any help with the event. It's a scripted presentation. The Eddie Eagle program does not focus on the use or handling of firearms but rather on what to do if you find one. This event will be focused on teaching kids to never touch and to notify an adult immediately. There will not be any weapon handling at the event. Thanks for your interest. I definitely look forward to seeing you guys and please come up to me so we can meet face to face. Have a great day!

Lamont Washington
4th Division Resource Officer
Car 473
Hostage Negotiation Team
HNT107
office: 502-574-7010

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

poetdante

I'm liking the new font, gutshot. Good choice.

The purpose of OC'ing to this event is as always: to show that non-LEO can carry guns and be responsible. It is not a way to disrupt anything. I mentioned it to them in the email just so they would not be surprised if there was, say 5 of us, showed up OC'ing. I don't know why I did, and maybe it was a mistake.

OC for ME

No, not a mistake. Being polite is also not a mistake.

I read Officer Washington's response differently and do not presuppose that he is not capable of not understanding your e-mail. It was clear and cordial.

Unfortunately some folks will comment on the outcome of our actions before we act...that is a mistake.

I look forward to your opinion of the presentation.

OC for ME

Then again Officer Washington may point to the visibly armed guests and indicate to the kids that there are good examples of a safely and properly carried firearm.