Thread: Stossel Tries to get a Gun... and FAILS!

Stossel Tries to get a Gun... and FAILS!

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattves...oorly-n2151874

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Mi-LXipDo8

Wow. Just wow. I mean, I knew NY in general, and NYC in particular, was stupid...
    Guard with jealous attention the public liberty.
    Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel.
    Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force.
    Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.
    -Patrick Henry, Virginia Ratification Convention, June 5, 1788

Founder's Club Member
    Two thoughts:

1. This is what one gets when he agrees that rights are based on majority opinion. If you agree/hold/concede that "others" get to have a say in your rights, you've lost the argument before it begins.

2. What does one expect when he legitimizes a coercive government? Handing a small group a monopoly on force? Agreeing that they are "accountable" through the election process (see above about agreeing to rights being based on majority opinion)? (As though elections are really a genuine accountability.) What does one expect when advertising, "Hey, all you power-hungry people who like to dictate to others how they should behave, how they should live their lives; we, the undersigned, agree that you have the monopoly on force and will only hold you accountable if we can get enough other people to agree you overstepped or had bad ideas." C'mon. Really? Does anybody really believe the moths* won't flock to the flame? Does anybody really believe the invitation won't attract the most power-hungry or arrogant, willing-to-boss-others sort of people? Really?

* Apologies to moths for comparing them to politicians.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Just about the only thing the antis get consistent is how wrong ("ghost guns", "shoulder things that go up", etc.) and hypocritical their arguments and actions are.

For guns: "There should be a VERY cost-prohibitive tax on the Right to keep and bear arms!"

For voting: "Any ID requirement is a poll tax and will not be tolerated!"

I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

Is his point the idiocy of the process or the unconstitutionality of the Sullivan Act? Both? Or, is it a commentary on special privilege?
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

He manages to hit all those points in one five minute report. Truth is painful.
    Guard with jealous attention the public liberty.
    Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel.
    Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force.
    Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.
    -Patrick Henry, Virginia Ratification Convention, June 5, 1788