• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Liberty Univ - guns in dorms

utbagpiper

Banned
This is a sensible position.

Utah's taxpayer funded colleges have been required to do this (very much contrary to their own liberal desires) for about 10 years. Thus far, no reported problems. And I trust had there been any problems, they would be reported widely and loudly by the media that loves to amplify problems with guns while muting the benefits of private gun ownership.

Charles

Rusty Young Man

Liberty University will allow students with concealed handgun permits from the state to keep their weapons in their dorms beginning next fall.

http://www.nbc12.com/story/31829265/liberty-university-to-allow-handguns-in-dorms-next-fall

NBC12 article said:
The News & Advance reports (http://bit.ly/1VB2IdP) those students would need permission from the school first. The guns would be kept in safes inside the residence halls at the private Christian university.

The policy change was given the go-ahead by the university's board of trustees last week.

University President Jerry Falwell Jr. announced last year that eligible students could carry guns anywhere on campus. Previously, students who qualified could carry guns anywhere except residence halls.

A step in the Right direction, but I wonder if the university is truly "Private". For instance, the University of Arizona down here in Tucson, AZ claims to be private, yet receives funding from the taxpayers of the state (no, I'm not referring to the folks who attend and contribute to the sporting events).

mobeewan

A step in the Right direction, but I wonder if the university is truly "Private". For instance, the University of Arizona down here in Tucson, AZ claims to be private, yet receives funding from the taxpayers of the state (no, I'm not referring to the folks who attend and contribute to the sporting events).

It is a christian university founded by the Reverend Jerry Falwell. His son is now president of the university.

www.liberty.edu/

utbagpiper

Banned
Liberty University is private in every sense of the word, receiving no government funding,

To clarify, there are a lot of truly private schools.

Most of them are required to abide Title IX which most famously requires equal opportunity for sports, but also requires gathering and reporting on the racial and gender makeup of students, among other requirements ostensibly intended to prevent various forms of discrimination. The requirement is imposed on any school that accepts any federal funding. "Accepts any federal funding" is interpreted to mean not only directly accepting federal funds such as research grants, but also indirectly accepting federal funds in the form of students using Pell grants or federal student loans (the only kind now allowed??) to pay tuition.

Liberty and Hillsdale refuse to accept all forms of federal money. This includes not allowing their students to use Pell Grants or federal student loans. Both are rock solid schools in the areas where they choose to provide degrees. Both have worked to provide tuition assistance to students in lieu of the typically used federal assistance.

And the Imprimus magazine put out by Hillsdale is a great read almost every time.

But so far as I know, neither engages in much research at the graduate level. Economists point out that "bad money chases out good" and it is tough for a school to run major scientific, engineering, or medical research these days in the absence of federal grants. And a lot of private schools simply are not in a position to provide in-house alternatives to federal student financial aid.

For these two schools, however, freedom from Title IX, enables them not to worry about equality in access to sports, not gather or report racial stats on their students, and so on.

But there are many "truly private" colleges. Those that are religiously owned/operated are eligible for certain exemptions (such as being able to impose religious requirements on students and employees) even if they are generally required to abide Title IX.

Charles

Last edited:

utbagpiper

Banned
Isn't that amazing that Hillsdale College is a Christian school too! Hmm, something is afoot beyond mere coincidence.

Indeed. Religious devotion has compelled many to start schools, colleges, hospitals, orphanages, and soup kitchens over the centuries. Religious affiliation has provided, in many cases, the organization structure needed to succeed in such efforts.

In a recent Imprimus article (I think it was) I read of the larger number of universities in the USA in 1800 than in England. Sorry, no cite at hand.

Religion, and Christianity in particular, has done much good in the world.

Charles