• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Helping Don Litten's family - Emergency

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Two ways to help - pick one.....or both.

Need volunteers, helpers.
What - Preparing Brunswick stew to raise funds for family & Jane Litten, wife of Don.
When - Fri. May 13[SUP]th[/SUP], 6:00pm - Chop night, set up and preparation, cooking pot w/accessories weighs a lot - one person cannot do it.
...........Sat. May 14[SUP]th[/SUP], 5:00am - cooking, stirring, dispensing, cleanup, general tending.
Where - Deep Run Baptist Church, 10907 Three Chopt Road, Henrico, Virginia 23233

This will only work if people are willing to help, give of their time. Many hands make light work. Each batch produces about 50 gal of this delicious Brunswick stew or 200 quarts. Sidestreet has pre-sold 79 qt. already!
Pre-sales are $8.00/qt, and day of sale at $10.00/qt.

This stew is so thick that a spoon will stand up straight in the middle of a bowl - it is famous in these here parts.

Arrangements will be made for anyone to donate to reduce the expense of supplies. An additional account will be established to direct funds to the family to defray the horrendous expense of Don's medications, funeral expenses, much needed repairs to the home, and other critical shortfalls.

Let's pull together and make a difference. We CAN do it.

Last edited:

scouser

I'm busy on the Saturday, but I'll step up for the chop night on the Friday

sidestreet

Thanks guys…,

if you have a good peeler and chop knife, you might want to consider bringing them, we have a number of peelers and knives already but lots of folks discover that they are more comfortable using what they are familiar with…, oh, and we have band aids too!!! I usually have a few pizzas and drink on "Chop Night" for the "help" that I pay for out of my pocket, not out of proceeds, and some Jimmy Dean Breakfast sandwiches and coffee, sometimes doughnuts too for the "help" on the morning of the stew so that folks don't go hungry while stirring the pot. I'd say that folks like us are pretty familiar with "stirring the pot", so this many not be very different, and all that stirring and the smells of the stew cooking can make a person powerful hungry!!!

I told the Grape, that we have a tried and true product, a driven staff, and a noble mission. I intend to give it my all, will you join us? I certainly hope so, the experience is enlightening and the fellowship is priceless. I hope to see many of you there, and as Grape pointed out (and as my Father often said) "many hands make light work".

So far 86 quarts have been pre-sold. We are "shooting" to sell at least 220 quarts. $8.00 pre-sold and $10.00 after that on the day of the stew and after, but I'm hoping that all 220 will be sold out before we ever light the fire. We will sell the stew in the order that the request were made, so that we don't short someone trying to accommodate late comers. The very first order I took was for 20 quarts, so you see, this could go very quickly.

We are also asking that folks arrange to pick up their stew on the 14th between 3 p.m. and 5 p.m. and pay for the stew as they pick it up. Our capacity for storage is very limited, but some is possible for extenuating circumstances, oh, and did I mention that this stuff freezes very well? Another good point is that the container is microwavable and reusable! Cash is preferred, but we'll take a check too.

If there are those who would like to contribute to the cost of the stew, but are unable to participate or live too far to buy the stew, I think Grape is setting something up for you to do that.

Again, thanking you in advance.

sidetreet

Jeremiah 29:11-13

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

Last edited:

Tanner

Chop chop

I will do Friday, my slicing skills are fair enough, but my dicing could use some work. Possible for Saturday also, but I can't make any promises on that one.

I do have the memory of an old shoe, so don't be afraid to remind me that Thursday.

scouser

As my niece's wedding isn't until the afternoon, I'm going to step up and volunteer a few hours on the Saturday morning too.

Mr Sidestreet, is it possible that my purchase can be stored as I'll be at the wedding at pickup time?

TFred

Peeling LOTS of potatoes?

Ok this might seem goofy, but I do mean it with the best of intentions.

I have seen this idea in several places, but I don't know if it really works. If it does, and especially for a large quantity project such as this, seems that it has the potential to save a significant amount of time. Just a thought. Anybody ever done it?

TFred

[video=youtube;XY6I71-bajo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY6I71-bajo[/video]

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

I have seen this idea in several places, but I don't know if it really works. If it does, and especially for a large quantity project such as this, seems that it has the potential to save a significant amount of time. Just a thought. Anybody ever done it?

TFred
Thought I had seen everything before - this could revolutionize KP.

Now to slice and dice. French fry slicer available from Northern Tool - would only be one step away from dicing.
http://tinyurl.com/jj3o9zy

Last edited:

sidestreet

I will make arrangements for that…,

As my niece's wedding isn't until the afternoon, I'm going to step up and volunteer a few hours on the Saturday morning too.

Mr Sidestreet, is it possible that my purchase can be stored as I'll be at the wedding at pickup time?

I appreciate your volunteer spirit!

sidestreet

sidestreet

Thank you Tanner…,

I will do Friday, my slicing skills are fair enough, but my dicing could use some work. Possible for Saturday also, but I can't make any promises on that one.

I do have the memory of an old shoe, so don't be afraid to remind me that Thursday.

I was secretly hoping you might show up, because you are needed, because I know how deep your volunteer spirit runs, and I know how you felt about Peter Nap!!!

sidestreet

sidestreet

Not goofy, TFred…,

TFred

[video=youtube;XY6I71-bajo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY6I71-bajo[/video]

Believe I have seen or heard about this somewhere, some other time and didn't remember it. Principle sounds okay, may be a little more to finding the appropriate brush, and I'm thinking it may require some extra modification, but it seems like a very viable idea, and I'm going to see if I can't rig something up and try it. But please bring your peelers and knives just in case I can't get it set up. Nothing like the "old reliables".

Anyway, great suggestion, thanks!!! You guys are great at improvising, adapting, and overcoming, it should serve us well in the not so distant future!!!

sidestreet

sidestreet

Yes, another good idea, but…,

Thought I had seen everything before - this could revolutionize KP.

Now to slice and dice. French fry slicer available from Northern Tool - would only be one step away from dicing.
http://tinyurl.com/jj3o9zy

I think the size of the slices might need to be a little larger than regular french fries, but it's worth a look to see just how big they truly are, some of those gadgets come with different size blades.

sidestreet

scouser

I think the size of the slices might need to be a little larger than regular french fries, but it's worth a look to see just how big they truly are, some of those gadgets come with different size blades.

sidestreet

Comes with 2 blades, one for 1/2" and one for 3/8" fries. If you were to buy a can of diced potatoes they'd be about a 1/2" cube anyway. No I'm not suggesting using canned veggies, can't beat fresh, just saying I think this would work

Last edited:

scouser

Believe I have seen or heard about this somewhere, some other time and didn't remember it. Principle sounds okay, may be a little more to finding the appropriate brush, and I'm thinking it may require some extra modification, but it seems like a very viable idea, and I'm going to see if I can't rig something up and try it. But please bring your peelers and knives just in case I can't get it set up. Nothing like the "old reliables".

Anyway, great suggestion, thanks!!! You guys are great at improvising, adapting, and overcoming, it should serve us well in the not so distant future!!!

sidestreet

It does work. Back home we have what I grew up knowing as a "chippy", chips being what you know as steak fries. It's a takeout that serves fish and chips, etc. Do you think they peel all those spuds by hand? They use a large scale version of this, and the potatoes are peeled and washed by friction, although not with a toilet brush

scouser

Back to the main reason for this thread.

We need volunteers, think about what peter nap has done for you at his expense, now is a chance to give something back and help his family

speed41ae

I can be there Friday night. I am not sure about 5 AM Saturday, but I will try. I would like to purchase 10 quarts (I have a freezer and hungry friends) and will pay the $10 per quart.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
I'll be there on Saturday. I can make 5AM for Don's family, but if you decide to divvy up the shifts differently on Saturday, let me know and I'll sleep for an extra hour or so. Either way, I have to be on the road early to avoid traffic on my way down.

Tess

sidestreet

Yes, scouser…,

Back to the main reason for this thread.

We need volunteers, think about what peter nap has done for you at his expense, now is a chance to give something back and help his family

this, exactly. Peter AND "The Saint" many, many times were together doing tons of stuff behind the scenes, gathering information, all the driving that they did going to so many places to gather information, evidence, you name it!!! I don't think Peter ever slept!!!

sidestreet

sidestreet

Thank you speed41ae...,

I can be there Friday night. I am not sure about 5 AM Saturday, but I will try. I would like to purchase 10 quarts (I have a freezer and hungry friends) and will pay the $10 per quart.

was wondering only when, but not if you would show up, and as usual, you have done so with "big shoulders" as I like to say, as have many others. It truly lifts the heart.

sidestreet

sidestreet

Tess, that's just awesome...,

I'll be there on Saturday. I can make 5AM for Don's family, but if you decide to divvy up the shifts differently on Saturday, let me know and I'll sleep for an extra hour or so. Either way, I have to be on the road early to avoid traffic on my way down.

Tess

the early hours are usually the most physical, and more relief is needed then because until the chunks of potato start to break down and some of the edges start to round off its sort of like stirring blocks of wood in big bowl. A couple of years ago, it was only me and a 70 year old member of the church there to do it, and it dang near killed us until some help showed up an hour and half later!!! It can be a back breaker without good help, but this group proves themselves over and over again, and it seems that we will have a number of folks to be there @ 5, so thank you Tess, for whenever you'd like to be with us!!!

sidestreet