Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maybe women will have to reg. for selective service..

Banned

Maybe women will have to reg. for selective service..

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2...ter-draft.html

House Panel Approves Measure to Require Women to Register for Draft

Maybe women will have to reg. for selective service..

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    http://www.military.com/daily-news/2...ter-draft.html

House Panel Approves Measure to Require Women to Register for Draft
    I personally think if women want equal rights and equal pay they should have to register just like the men.

Michael

Hunter, who requested a roll-call vote on the measure, ended up voting against his own amendment. The amendment passed 32 votes to 30 votes, with strong support from female committee members.
    Interesting...
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PerBast View Post
    I personally think if women want equal rights and equal pay they should have to register just like the men.

Michael
    I think that women now have = pay and, of course, more rights than us lowly men.

Service guarantees citizenship !

Want to learn more?

I think that women now have = pay and, of course, more rights than us lowly men.

Want to learn more?
    Robert Heinlein was no dummy.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

They got what they wanted, now step up and enjoy. This coming from an old Airborne Infantry type (I have the back, knees, and ankles to prove it).

State Researcher
    I suppose that if one views "women" as a homogenous glob synonymous with "radical feminazi who hates all men", and if one ignores the likely effect on the readiness of our armed forces of integrating equal numbers of women as men into combat positions it might be easy to gloat about "women" getting the downside of what they've demanded all these years.

But as the father of daughters (and sons), whose great-grandmother worked to defeat the ERA in Utah specifically because she and her daughters recognized that equal rights before the law should not be blind to biological and psychological differences between the sexes, I am just old fashioned enough to think it is a pretty pathetic nation that would even consider drafting women so long as able bodied men remain available to defend the country and community.

Even if strict physical standards were upheld and applied equally--and history suggests strongly they won't be, because if they are the vast majority of women won't be admitted to the military period, much less to physically demanding combat or combat support roles (how much do crates of ammo or even MREs weigh?) and virtually zero would be admitted to elite units--there are still the questions of how sexual tension disrupts unit cohesion.

Ironically, one of the rare combat roles where woman may actually offer unique capabilities might be in some of the special forces where other skills or even just being a woman might offer advantages sufficient to offset the lack of physical ability relative to male members of the unit and where high levels of training may mitigate the sexual issues. Similarly, the role of field interrogator/translator in regular units might be an area where women could offer unique benefits. Women might have equal or even superior physical traits for flying aircraft as they can having higher resistance to g-induced blackout. But the moment they get shot down we have a really bad situation. And in any event, drafting women seems unnecessary for our nation.

Charles
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

"With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

"Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.

While I believe it to be a bad idea all the way around, the whole draft at all that is.

I believe if someone demands equality, they should have to eat the cost of it.

Welcome to the sewers and the military.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

State Researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post
    While I believe it to be a bad idea all the way around, the whole draft at all that is.

I believe if someone demands equality, they should have to eat the cost of it.
    Again, I think relatively few women have actually demanded the femi-Nazi equivalency.

It is a shame that some would lump all women into one category and then take glee in decent, feminine women being punished.

It is actually a lot like what gun grabbers do: Lump both criminal and LAC together; pass laws based on criminal mis-conduct; and they exult in the fact that the much hated LAC gun owner (who are the only ones affected by gun grabber laws) will suffer.

How many femi-Nazis will ever report to the draft if required? It will be the decent, regular women of the nation who will not run off to Canada.

Charles
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

--Marxist.org

http://www.military.com/military-fit...l-fitness-test

In WW2 one out of three draftees were non-front line soldiers. Carrying 150 lbs of gear is not the same as carrying your 200 lb wounded buddy off the battle field...
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by utbagpiper View Post
    And in any event, drafting women seems unnecessary for our nation.

Want to learn more?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	citizenship.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	13079

begin rant

Yes, Heinlen had it right. IMHO, all natural born People of this Country should do a two year period of Active Federal Service. No, not just Military Service, but Active Federal Service in a post office, hospital, police station, somewhere to benefit the Nation. This gives everyone ownership of the Nation, and full Citizenship. Want to lay out and not contribute? No worries, no Vote, no Federal benefits of any kind. Citizenship is a Verb and all should participate, not just sit on the sidelines and complain about how the "system" does not work. You want to make America great again?? Participate in America

end rant
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post

begin rant

Yes, Heinlen had it right. IMHO, all natural born People of this Country should do a two year period of Active Federal Service. No, not just Military Service, but Active Federal Service in a post office, hospital, police station, somewhere to benefit the Nation. This gives everyone ownership of the Nation, and full Citizenship. Want to lay out and not contribute? No worries, no Vote, no Federal benefits of any kind. Citizenship is a Verb and all should participate, not just sit on the sidelines and complain about how the "system" does not work. You want to make America great again?? Participate in America

end rant
    PLUS 1

I also have advocated the young adults, upon graduation from HS must immediately (no exemptions) serve 2 years in either a CCC type endeavor, military service, or peace corp...all w/o their little electronic gizmos...i was a bit more generous and felt their payment would be a paid year at a local Community College of their choice.

btw, fail to graduate from HS you lose your vote, governmental support & EBT privileges, etc., you get PG..better figure out how you are going to pay the prenatal, delivery costs, as well as have a darn good job to pay for the little darlings.

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

begin rant

end rant
    TSA? IRS? ATF...ect?

As far as the military and becoming citizens thing, that was for those who were "citizens" of US territories...the Philippines comes to mind.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

State Researcher
    Make it universal with options over than the military and I'll probably not complain too much. I'm not against community service. I'm against potentially drafting women into combat positions. I'm against anything like Vietnam where so many with means were able to avoid the draft legally while so many without means had no alternative.

Frankly, barring some kind of national service requirement (which I don't see passing anytime soon), we ought to eliminate the selective service registration. Reinstitute it if it is ever needed. But it hasn't been used in decades and it is time to get rid of it.

I'll even accept some term of national service in lieu of paying income taxes (for some other term) while retaining the right to vote, serve on a jury, etc. As far as I'm concerned, those who don't own property in a given community have no business voting in that community, especially not on long term bond issues. I also figure those who are taking more out in welfare payments than they are putting in, ought to forfeit the vote that year. A couple years of full time national service could count for 5 or so years of tax payments.

Charles

--Marxist.org

Make it universal with options over than the military and I'll probably not complain too much. I'm not against community service. I'm against potentially drafting women into combat positions. I'm against anything like Vietnam where so many with means were able to avoid the draft legally while so many without means had no alternative.

Frankly, barring some kind of national service requirement (which I don't see passing anytime soon), we ought to eliminate the selective service registration. Reinstitute it if it is ever needed. But it hasn't been used in decades and it is time to get rid of it.

I'll even accept some term of national service in lieu of paying income taxes (for some other term) while retaining the right to vote, serve on a jury, etc. As far as I'm concerned, those who don't own property in a given community have no business voting in that community, especially not on long term bond issues. I also figure those who are taking more out in welfare payments than they are putting in, ought to forfeit the vote that year. A couple years of full time national service could count for 5 or so years of tax payments.

Charles
    You're not paying the income tax nor is your earnings the subject of the income tax.

Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

State Researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post
    You're not paying the income tax nor is your earnings the subject of the income tax.

I've heard that a lot. Never had anyone who claimed it who was willing to actually demonstrate that he was openly not paying income taxes on W2 reported income and not going to prison because of it.

Lots of folks live in self imposed poverty and claim they are tax exempt. Others claim a lot of dubious (business or other) deductions and eventually get burned. Some fly below the radar for quite some time before the IRS catches up.

I'd love not to lose 20% of my income to various IRS taxes. But I've never seen claims such as yours hold up.

And don't bother with your oft-repeated challenge to "show [you] the code that makes me liable for income taxes." I'm not going to plow through volumes of tax code or argue about the definition of terms. I've seen too many tax protestors end up bankrupted, homeless, and in prison. Whether the courts are properly applying statute, or whether they are "rigged" and misapplying consistently makes no material difference to the guy who loses it all.

So either start providing a lot more details on how one goes about legally not paying taxes to the IRS on W2 income while also not getting liens, garnishments, and criminal proceedings, or please stop posting your emphatic assertions.

Charles
    Last edited by utbagpiper; 05-05-2016 at 11:01 PM.

--Marxist.org

I'll even accept some term of national service in lieu of paying income taxes (for some other term) while retaining the right to vote, serve on a jury, etc. A couple years of full time national service could count for 5 or so years of tax payments.

Charles
    I believe you have a good addition to the platform my friend. No taxes for the five years after your National Service. Helps get you started. With the greater number of People participating in their .gov, it will cost less to run it.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

State Researcher
    I believe you have a good addition to the platform my friend. No taxes for the five years after your National Service. Helps get you started. With the greater number of People participating in their .gov, it will cost less to run it.
    There is great benefit in some community service. I think something that helped instill a sense of real ownership rather than just entitlement would be great. That said, I don't expect those folks are going to work for free. So not sure the costs go down much.

My thought wasn't to exempt anyone from taxes they would otherwise owe. It was allow them to vote for some period of time during which they otherwise would not have been eligible to do so for lack of paying taxes (presumable for lack of income on which taxes were due).

I believe one of our major problems is that the electorate has realized they can vote themselves largess from the public treasury without having to contribute anything to the treasury. To a large extend voting is really helping to decide how much and how to spend money. Even when it comes to seeming non-fiscal matters like criminal law, there is an element of "for which behavior are we willing to spend money to investigate, prosecute, and punish?"

It makes no sense that we should be allowing those who do not contribute to the upkeep of the society to have an equal voice in determining how that society is run. Of course, it also makes no sense to me that we should allow those who can't find their own nation on an unlabeled globe, should get equal voice in helping to set foreign policy.

But we have constitutional amendment against poll taxes, and a very nasty history of literacy tests being used for blatant racial discrimination. And just as governments tend not to voluntarily surrender power, neither do the masses. So probably nothing to be done except to try to educate the masses a little better. If only the schools were not so bad...

Charles

--Marxist.org

Just one of many sites.
    The stereotypes are wrong. Let's look at the facts, starting with who actually served in Vietnam.

http://www.vvof.org/factsvnv.htm
    Vietnam, or any foreign war, is a poor example to justify compulsory service to the nation. If you pay your taxes you are serving the nation. Being productive is serving the nation.

Those who call for compulsory service are anti-liberty.

Be careful embracing Heinlein as he was complex and multi-dimensional.

http://blogcritics.org/heinlein-star...lm-adaptation/
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Be careful embracing Heinlein as he was complex and multi-dimensional.

http://blogcritics.org/heinlein-star...lm-adaptation/
    Ya know...some folks, even after reading the info at the site you linked to, your point will continue to elude them.

...good one

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    If you pay your taxes you are serving the nation.

Being productive is serving the nation.

Those who call for compulsory service are anti-liberty.
    A. See chart. Many pay little in taxes

B. Many are not productive, but are absorbent

C. Active Federal Service should never be "mandatory". Volunteer, and gain voting privilege and access to Federal benefits. Your choice, Participate in your Country or sit back and watch.

This, People, is all fantasy and will not be put into effect any time soon. Too many on the .gov dole to rock the apple cart. I first read Heinlens book in 1960. Good book, bad movie.

Name:	!!!.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	13084
    Last edited by MSG Laigaie; 05-06-2016 at 10:08 AM. Reason: forgot to add the chart

A. See chart. Many pay little in taxes
    Payroll tax, state tax, sales tax, property/personal property tax, ect.. Not paying a federal income tax is a poor indicator of a citizen's contribution, or lack thereof.

B. Many are not productive, but are absorbent
    94 million plus are not participating in the workforce, they may have in the past. If they are now "absorbent" should their voting privilege be revoked/suspended until they are productive again? The Carrier AC manufacturing employees come to mind?

C. Active Federal Service should never be "mandatory". Volunteer, and gain voting privilege and access to Federal benefits. Your choice, Participate in your Country or sit back and watch.
    I have a relative who is now retired, receives disability from his duty in Vietnam + social security (.gov dole), and is not productive, other than engaging in individual daily commerce.

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Ya know...some folks, even after reading the info at the site you linked to, your point will continue to elude them.

...good one
    I guess I'm one of them. I read (but did not thoroughly peruse) the whole thing. It was about the movie being very, very unfaithful to the book. I agree. What am I missing?

Pay any percentage of my earnings as a tax is slavery/socialism/communism.

I did not realize that this forum was full of socialists.

Also, why is the rule requiring the citation of law always ignored when the income tax issue comes up?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW1Pqey_pe4

Now, back to women being drafted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast