Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Anybody know what this Trump claim is about?

  1. #1
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705

    Anybody know what this Trump claim is about?

    A friend of mine shared a link to an article claiming to report Trump's position on the Second Amendment.

    I'm not going to share the article, because in this post, I am very specifically seeking information about only one statement:

    Citing a successful program in Richmond, Virginia, that sentenced gun criminals to mandatory minimum five-year sentences in federal prison, Trump noted that crime rates will fall dramatically when criminals are taken off the streets for lengthy periods of time.


    Now to the thinking person, the conclusion of the statement doesn't really have anything to do with the introduction, obviously when criminals are off the street, they aren't committing crimes on the street.

    But as to the Richmond claim, anybody know what this might be referring to?

    Label me skeptical.

    TFred

  2. #2
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,886
    1. trump's publicist put BS campaign propaganda out, w/o a date, on his webpage: https://www.donaldjtrump.com/positio...endment-rights
    2. the http://conservativetribune.com/trump...2nd-amendment/ put the out of context statement, undated, out on their website.

    trump's full paragraph statement that the conservative lamestream took out of context:

    quote: Several years ago there was a tremendous program in Richmond, Virginia called Project Exile. It said that if a violent felon uses a gun to commit a crime, you will be prosecuted in federal court and go to prison for five years – no parole or early release. Obama’s former Attorney General, Eric Holder, called that a “cookie cutter” program. That’s ridiculous. I call that program a success. Murders committed with guns in Richmond decreased by over 60% when Project Exile was in place – in the first two years of the program alone, 350 armed felons were taken off the street. unquote.

    extremely different perception from what was presented out of context and you put up for discussion, huh?.

    ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    He's for guns unless he's against them. Pretty simple.

  4. #4
    Regular Member Repeater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,519

    See the War on Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    A friend of mine shared a link to an article claiming to report Trump's position on the Second Amendment.

    I'm not going to share the article, because in this post, I am very specifically seeking information about only one statement:

    Citing a successful program in Richmond, Virginia, that sentenced gun criminals to mandatory minimum five-year sentences in federal prison, Trump noted that crime rates will fall dramatically when criminals are taken off the streets for lengthy periods of time.


    Now to the thinking person, the conclusion of the statement doesn't really have anything to do with the introduction, obviously when criminals are off the street, they aren't committing crimes on the street.

    But as to the Richmond claim, anybody know what this might be referring to?

    Label me skeptical.

    TFred
    David Codrea commented on this here:

    Trump on 2A

  5. #5
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705
    Very interesting, and thank you for the replies. We can always count on good information here!

    By the way, one additional "gotcha" in the absolute enforcement of all Federal gun laws: the GFSZA makes a Federal felon out of virtually every gun-carrier in Virginia. There literally is not enough cell space in the country to hold all of us, should they start prosecuting that most heinous of gun laws.

    TFred

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    Very interesting, and thank you for the replies. We can always count on good information here!

    By the way, one additional "gotcha" in the absolute enforcement of all Federal gun laws: the GFSZA makes a Federal felon out of virtually every gun-carrier in Virginia. There literally is not enough cell space in the country to hold all of us, should they start prosecuting that most heinous of gun laws.

    TFred
    They wanna Red Dawn are arses .... pen us up so that they can red-educate us. Avenge us !

  7. #7
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,279
    The constitution protects the right to keep, and bear arms. IT DOES NOT stop the state for punishing criminals that use firearms. IMO it is far better to punish the criminal instead of the law abiding. Once they serve their time they should have all rights that all humans should have, keep them in prison longer. No different than stiffer penalties for concealing identity(face mask) while committing a crime. It is not a violation of the first amendment to punish someone for using a tool to commit a crime. Use a car as a tool in the commission of a crime, the criminal should get a stiffer sentence. It is not a violation of the right to travel.

    I have not gone into much detail of the report, but Trump is on the right track to keep violent criminals in jail longer.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,162

    Project Exile was inaugurated in Richmond but many cities copied it.

    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  9. #9
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,279
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Well in that case I cannot condone the practice, I can see stiffer sentences for violent crimes with aggravating circumstance. But I disagree with penalties for any unconstitutional law. There are better, and constitutional ways to keep violent criminals behind bars.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The constitution protects the right to keep, and bear arms. IT DOES NOT stop the state for punishing criminals that use firearms. IMO it is far better to punish the criminal instead of the law abiding. Once they serve their time they should have all rights that all humans should have, keep them in prison longer. No different than stiffer penalties for concealing identity(face mask) while committing a crime. It is not a violation of the first amendment to punish someone for using a tool to commit a crime. Use a car as a tool in the commission of a crime, the criminal should get a stiffer sentence. It is not a violation of the right to travel.

    I have not gone into much detail of the report, but Trump is on the right track to keep violent criminals in jail longer.

    I would add this to the first sentence. its a re-affirmation of our natural RKBA for defense.


    (Bank robber: we'll be free once we get to our car and start traveling ! 2nd robber: "But Bob, this is our profession, so we are not traveling but driving!" )

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •