• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anybody know what this Trump claim is about?

TFred

A friend of mine shared a link to an article claiming to report Trump's position on the Second Amendment.

I'm not going to share the article, because in this post, I am very specifically seeking information about only one statement:

Citing a successful program in Richmond, Virginia, that sentenced gun criminals to mandatory minimum five-year sentences in federal prison, Trump noted that crime rates will fall dramatically when criminals are taken off the streets for lengthy periods of time.​

Now to the thinking person, the conclusion of the statement doesn't really have anything to do with the introduction, obviously when criminals are off the street, they aren't committing crimes on the street.

But as to the Richmond claim, anybody know what this might be referring to?

Label me skeptical.

TFred

solus

1. trump's publicist put BS campaign propaganda out, w/o a date, on his webpage: https://www.donaldjtrump.com/positions/second-amendment-rights
2. the http://conservativetribune.com/trump-plan-2nd-amendment/ put the out of context statement, undated, out on their website.

trump's full paragraph statement that the conservative lamestream took out of context:

quote: Several years ago there was a tremendous program in Richmond, Virginia called Project Exile. It said that if a violent felon uses a gun to commit a crime, you will be prosecuted in federal court and go to prison for five years – no parole or early release. Obama’s former Attorney General, Eric Holder, called that a “cookie cutter” program. That’s ridiculous. I call that program a success. Murders committed with guns in Richmond decreased by over 60% when Project Exile was in place – in the first two years of the program alone, 350 armed felons were taken off the street. unquote.

extremely different perception from what was presented out of context and you put up for discussion, huh?.

ipse

Repeater

See the War on Guns

A friend of mine shared a link to an article claiming to report Trump's position on the Second Amendment.

I'm not going to share the article, because in this post, I am very specifically seeking information about only one statement:

Citing a successful program in Richmond, Virginia, that sentenced gun criminals to mandatory minimum five-year sentences in federal prison, Trump noted that crime rates will fall dramatically when criminals are taken off the streets for lengthy periods of time.​

Now to the thinking person, the conclusion of the statement doesn't really have anything to do with the introduction, obviously when criminals are off the street, they aren't committing crimes on the street.

But as to the Richmond claim, anybody know what this might be referring to?

Label me skeptical.

TFred

David Codrea commented on this here:

Trump on 2A

TFred

Very interesting, and thank you for the replies. We can always count on good information here!

By the way, one additional "gotcha" in the absolute enforcement of all Federal gun laws: the GFSZA makes a Federal felon out of virtually every gun-carrier in Virginia. There literally is not enough cell space in the country to hold all of us, should they start prosecuting that most heinous of gun laws.

TFred

davidmcbeth

Banned
Very interesting, and thank you for the replies. We can always count on good information here!

By the way, one additional "gotcha" in the absolute enforcement of all Federal gun laws: the GFSZA makes a Federal felon out of virtually every gun-carrier in Virginia. There literally is not enough cell space in the country to hold all of us, should they start prosecuting that most heinous of gun laws.

TFred

They wanna Red Dawn are arses .... pen us up so that they can red-educate us. Avenge us !

WalkingWolf

The constitution protects the right to keep, and bear arms. IT DOES NOT stop the state for punishing criminals that use firearms. IMO it is far better to punish the criminal instead of the law abiding. Once they serve their time they should have all rights that all humans should have, keep them in prison longer. No different than stiffer penalties for concealing identity(face mask) while committing a crime. It is not a violation of the first amendment to punish someone for using a tool to commit a crime. Use a car as a tool in the commission of a crime, the criminal should get a stiffer sentence. It is not a violation of the right to travel.

I have not gone into much detail of the report, but Trump is on the right track to keep violent criminals in jail longer.

davidmcbeth

Banned
The constitution protects the right to keep, and bear arms. IT DOES NOT stop the state for punishing criminals that use firearms. IMO it is far better to punish the criminal instead of the law abiding. Once they serve their time they should have all rights that all humans should have, keep them in prison longer. No different than stiffer penalties for concealing identity(face mask) while committing a crime. It is not a violation of the first amendment to punish someone for using a tool to commit a crime. Use a car as a tool in the commission of a crime, the criminal should get a stiffer sentence. It is not a violation of the right to travel.

I have not gone into much detail of the report, but Trump is on the right track to keep violent criminals in jail longer.

I would add this to the first sentence. its a re-affirmation of our natural RKBA for defense.

(Bank robber: we'll be free once we get to our car and start traveling ! 2nd robber: "But Bob, this is our profession, so we are not traveling but driving!" )