Thread: Jonathan Mossberg Sighting in on a 'smart gun'

Jonathan Mossberg Sighting in on a 'smart gun'

Daytona Beach, Fla.— Jonathan Mossberg is among a small number of pioneers looking to build a safer gun. But unlike many others, he was in the gun business when he started down that path. His family is renowned for its premier line of shotguns treasured by law enforcement, hunters and the military. Mossberg already has spent more than a decade working to develop — and someday bring to the market — a firearm that the wrong person cannot fire. It is intended to work without fail in the hands of its owner in a life-or-death situation.
    [ ... ]
    On Friday, President Barack Obama announced new steps to curb gun violence, including by identifying the requirements "smart guns" would have to meet for law enforcement agencies to buy and use them.

"As long as we've got the technology to prevent a criminal from stealing and using your smartphone, then we should be able to prevent the wrong person from pulling a trigger on a gun," Obama said on Friday.

The departments of Justice and Homeland Security said in a report Friday that they expect to complete the work of identifying the smart-gun requirements by October.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/usandwo...377759441.html
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

I'll ponder buying my first smart gun right after the U.S. Secret Service switches over to them, completely.

Imagine requiring all guns have smart gun technology being sold to the public as "reasonable" gun control.

One thing is for certain. Any smart gun technology will also come with smart blocking technology that law enforcement can use to render any and all guns, except the cop's guns, unable to function.

No need to confiscate all the guns if all the guns can be made to not work.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Short sighted and anti-liberty this approach is. Must every member of my family have a "enabling device" so that they may use "my shotgun" to defend themselves? or, must i buy a shotgun for every member of my family? I suspect that me being forced to buy more of their product would be a bold business move.

...Mossberg...pfft!
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Any reason to believe that Mossberg supports making these mandatory?

I see nothing wrong with the research and development itself. There many be many voluntary buyers if the technology became reliable.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post

I see nothing wrong with the research and development itself. There many be many voluntary buyers if the technology became reliable.
    Mossberg might not support mandatory smart gun technology but if there is a way for the government to shut off everyone's guns the government will listen to all the gun control fanatics and make it mandatory under the guise of reasonable and sensible gun control.
    Last edited by Bikenut; 05-02-2016 at 11:10 AM.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post

Free markets drive innovation, then the .gov comes in and mandates that product A is now mandatory due to the benefit to public safety.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Banned
    Gov. cannot mandate "smart gun" technology be forced upon citizens. In fact, I don't even see how the gov't can define anything related to arms.

Gov't and regulating our RKBA .... nah, not allowed, violates our rights.

I drive a BMW X5 iDrive connected car (Smart Car is already taken). BMW is ending the legacy program, earlier than 2014 model year, for security concerns and the expense of chasing LTE technology, 5G is on the horizon, my car-SIM is 2G.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Two BGs wrestling with a cop. Cop drops his SMART gun. One of the BGs pulls his gun. You pick-up the cop's gun and you can't shoot the BG because the SMART gun doesn't know who you are. The cop is dead and you are dead.

Smart guns is a smart idea.

Or cop drops his smart gun and bad guy picks it up. Cop still alive.

The technology can have a place. Keeping politics out of it is another story.

It should be the person's (or LEA department) choice; not a law, obviously. But the technology IS going to happen someday.

Let's just make sure we vilify the right people if it gets used wrongly.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by color of law View Post
    Two BGs wrestling with a cop. Cop drops his SMART gun. One of the BGs pulls his gun. You pick-up the cop's gun and you can't shoot the BG because the SMART gun doesn't know who you are. The cop is dead and you are dead.

Smart guns is a smart idea.
    C.O.L. has the makings of a Hollywood movie there ... who are you planning on casting?

I never needed a smart gun ... rather spend the $$ for ammo v. the technology.

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    C.O.L. has the makings of a Hollywood movie there ... who are you planning on casting?

I never needed a smart gun ... rather spend the $$ for ammo v. the technology.
    Trump, Cruz, Clinton and Sanders.

And Vince Foster will make a cameo appearance.....

jodie foster or either one of the 'olsen twins' (or the sweetheart from 'weird science') play Carly Fiorina??

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Trump, Cruz, Clinton and Sanders.

And Vince Foster will make a cameo appearance.....
    Hey, no snuff movies in this country.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Banned
    trump, cruz, clinton and sanders.

And vince foster will make a cameo appearance.....
    rofl .. he does have a dead pan way of delivering his lines
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 05-03-2016 at 01:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian D. View Post
    I'll ponder buying my first smart gun right after the U.S. Secret Service switches over to them, completely.
    I would wait til the FBI and all other federal orgs also made the switch to "Smart" guns alone. Then, I'd wait for police to follow suit. Just to be safe (), I'd let a period of 10 years go by.

Afterwards, I think I'd still go with the tried & true, mechanically-sound, well-understood mechanisms in Browning and Browning-based designs.
    Last edited by Rusty Young Man; 05-06-2016 at 01:14 AM.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Young Man View Post
    I would wait til the FBI and all other federal orgs also made the switch to "Smart" guns alone. Then, I'd wait for police to follow suit. Just to be safe (), I'd let a period of 10,000 years go by.

Afterwards, I think I'd still go with the tried & true, mechanically-sound, well-understood mechanisms in Browning and Browning-based designs.
    Fixed it for you, [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    We all know how "dependable" computers are. Do you want to bet your life on them?

If the gun is the type that requires a ring and it is on your right hand, will the gun work if you have to switch hands?
    If it is the "watch-type" wristband, same scenario. Worse, in both types, what if you have to pass the gun to your spouse? What if the batteries go dead?
    ETC - -
    ETC - -
    ETC - - !!
    Stop making logical arguments ... think of the children !!!!!!!