Thread: Second or Backup Gun

Second or Backup Gun

I am curious to see how many of you guys carry a second or backup Gun.

I do not.

I do not carry a second magazine. If eleven or eight shots is not enough then my situational awareness has failed me.

I am a legally armed citizen and in no way a cop wannabe. My carry guns are reliable.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Your question is in the singular. Of course, if I were to answer the question "Do you carry a gun?" the answer would always be positive........no matter what the count.

A friend responds, "Only on days ending in a 'Y'
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Your question is in the singular. Of course, if I were to answer the question "Do you carry a gun?" the answer would always be positive........no matter what the count.

A friend responds, "Only on days ending in a 'Y'
    And I carry a gun only in the months that have 28 days.

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    One is a lonely number. So, I guess my gun is lonely. I use to carry a five shot snubby; now a 9 shot Shield. On rare occasions would carry an extra speed loader or mag.

No...except when hunting, .45 ACP pistol as well as rifle or shotgun.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

like others have stated before me, if my 18 or 21 rounds (depending what model is being carried)
    are not sufficent, i suppose i deserve my fate ~ huh!
    further, model depends on what i am doing at the time, working in/around property, running errands in town, or guzzied up and carrying my purdy piece!!!

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

I will again once I replace my other holster.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Not sense I retire.

Not as exciting as a 2nd gun but I would rather have some body armor on given the choice of having two guns or one gun and armor.

If I decide I need to carry a 2nd handgun for back up I'll have armor on too.
    Last edited by Firearms Iinstuctor; 05-03-2016 at 11:52 AM.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    I do not. I do not carry a second magazine. ....
    This is me, usually. But I will sometimes toss a mag in my pocket, or wear a deeply concealed second piece if the outfit allows it.

Hauling ass successfully counts as winning a gunfight. That's Plan A. Plan B is two rounds followed by hauling ass. I'm not a cop.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    I do not.

I do not carry a second magazine. If eleven or eight shots is not enough then my situational awareness has failed me.

I am a legally armed citizen and in no way a cop wannabe. My carry guns are reliable.
    So long as you carry enough to stop the one(s) attacking you, you have no immediate problem.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

The situations will vary as much as weapon count. But we will be looking at an average day.

On Average, Yes! I have been asked "why do you carry a gun?", I answer, "Why do you assume I have just one?"
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Hybrid Carrier, chiming in.

Carry my full-size 1911 in an OWB holster, plain view.

Carry a CCed BUG as a "get of me" gun or fail safe. It is there in the extremely rare case:

1) I should need to reload without reloading.
    2) My primary be rendered inoperable (jamming, though I doubt it).
    3) My strong hand be disabled (broken, shot, cut, or occupied trying to maintain control of my primary).
    4) I should need to dual wield to look extremely Tacticool. (Just kidding on this last one).
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

Banned
    One could carry enough ammo to enable getting to his/her vehicle, pop the trunk and get out that AR and 1000 rds in the trunk too.

A second option.

You guys do carry a AR in your trunk with ammo, right?

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    One could carry enough ammo to enable getting to his/her vehicle, pop the trunk and get out that AR and 1000 rds in the trunk too.

A second option.

You guys do carry a AR in your trunk with ammo, right?
    I have a rifle or shotgun or both depending on the time of year in my vehicle. I live in an area with a lot of hunting and a lot of varmints that need to be shot when the occasion presents its self.

Also in the last week I had wolves, bears, coyotes and bob cats with in 100 yards of the house

So a firearm or two in a nice thing to have around.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    ...You guys do carry a AR in your trunk with ammo, right?
    No, the varmint rifles are in the safe where they belong until needed.

A battle rifle is in the truck.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip