• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Second or Backup Gun

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Your question is in the singular. Of course, if I were to answer the question "Do you carry a gun?" the answer would always be positive........no matter what the count.

A friend responds, "Only on days ending in a 'Y' :D

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Your question is in the singular. Of course, if I were to answer the question "Do you carry a gun?" the answer would always be positive........no matter what the count.

A friend responds, "Only on days ending in a 'Y' :D
And I carry a gun only in the months that have 28 days.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
One is a lonely number. So, I guess my gun is lonely. I use to carry a five shot snubby; now a 9 shot Shield. On rare occasions would carry an extra speed loader or mag.

solus

like others have stated before me, if my 18 or 21 rounds (depending what model is being carried)
are not sufficent, i suppose i deserve my fate ~ huh!
further, model depends on what i am doing at the time, working in/around property, running errands in town, or guzzied up and carrying my purdy piece!!!

ipse

Firearms Iinstuctor

Not sense I retire.

Not as exciting as a 2nd gun but I would rather have some body armor on given the choice of having two guns or one gun and armor.

If I decide I need to carry a 2nd handgun for back up I'll have armor on too.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I do not. I do not carry a second magazine. ....

This is me, usually. But I will sometimes toss a mag in my pocket, or wear a deeply concealed second piece if the outfit allows it.

Hauling ass successfully counts as winning a gunfight. That's Plan A. Plan B is two rounds followed by hauling ass. I'm not a cop.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I do not.

I do not carry a second magazine. If eleven or eight shots is not enough then my situational awareness has failed me.

I am a legally armed citizen and in no way a cop wannabe. My carry guns are reliable.

So long as you carry enough to stop the one(s) attacking you, you have no immediate problem.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
The situations will vary as much as weapon count. But we will be looking at an average day.

On Average, Yes! I have been asked "why do you carry a gun?", I answer, "Why do you assume I have just one?"

Rusty Young Man

Hybrid Carrier, chiming in.

Carry my full-size 1911 in an OWB holster, plain view.

Carry a CCed BUG as a "get of me" gun or fail safe. It is there in the extremely rare case:

1) I should need to reload without reloading.
2) My primary be rendered inoperable (jamming, though I doubt it).
3) My strong hand be disabled (broken, shot, cut, or occupied trying to maintain control of my primary).
4) I should need to dual wield to look extremely Tacticool.:p (Just kidding on this last one).

davidmcbeth

Banned
One could carry enough ammo to enable getting to his/her vehicle, pop the trunk and get out that AR and 1000 rds in the trunk too.

A second option.

You guys do carry a AR in your trunk with ammo, right?

Firearms Iinstuctor

One could carry enough ammo to enable getting to his/her vehicle, pop the trunk and get out that AR and 1000 rds in the trunk too.

A second option.

You guys do carry a AR in your trunk with ammo, right?

I have a rifle or shotgun or both depending on the time of year in my vehicle. I live in an area with a lot of hunting and a lot of varmints that need to be shot when the occasion presents its self.

Also in the last week I had wolves, bears, coyotes and bob cats with in 100 yards of the house

So a firearm or two in a nice thing to have around.