Thread: Arlington concealed carrier intervenes in domestic shooting and is killed

Arlington concealed carrier intervenes in domestic shooting and is killed

[Arlington police spokesman Christopher] Cook said it’s a subjective call as to what an armed person should do in this kind of situation. “Without having all the details, it would be inappropriate for me to speculate,” he said.

http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/2016...algreens.html/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...national_pop_b

The WaPo made a dog's breakfast of the story, gulped down half-chewed and regurgitated with all the other spin.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/DFW...377831771.html
    Last edited by Nightmare; 05-03-2016 at 07:42 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

He went out of this world on top. - Rev. Marc Lowrance of United Methodist Church in Arlington.
    No, he did not. With a wife and three kids? Antell made a poor choice.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

the victim killed went back to his vehicle and got his firearm to stop someone who was trying to leave...especially poor choice since his partner was in the vehicle and could have been hurt also.

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

If he went back to his vehicle to get armed, he was not a concealed carrier, by the definition of either word.

He played cop. He lost. His family lost.

Also, when people are not armed to protect themselves, it starts the chain of events that get other people hurt/killed trying to protect them. How selfish.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Banned

What do you think of this ? Carrier killed ... guy arrested for shooting death

Officials say when a retired Marine witnessed a woman get shot by her husband, he pulled out his own gun and attempted to stop the man from getting away, but was then shot and killed by the suspect

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/police-m...stic-violence/

"It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Officials say when a retired Marine witnessed a woman get shot by her husband, he pulled out his own gun and attempted to stop the man from getting away, but was then shot and killed by the suspect

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Merged to this thread.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Merged to this thread.
    Thanks Grape...

In respect to this issue I think it highlights : don't get into domestic disputes.

I know cops who won't answer such calls ... they know

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    If he went back to his vehicle to get armed, he was not a concealed carrier, by the definition of either word.

He played cop. He lost. His family lost.

Also, when people are not armed to protect themselves, it starts the chain of events that get other people hurt/killed trying to protect them. How selfish.
    Should have called 911. But if the perp was about to kill his girl then the situation would have been different... but would he still gotten killed by the soldier??? If the threat is not directed at us, stay out and call 911.

Bradden confessed to slapping a gun out of the man’s hand and shooting him
    Maybe should have kept his distance too.
    Last edited by Law abider; 05-03-2016 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post

sorry, the victim had served in the marines not retired from the armed service!!

quote... retreated to his vehicle, grabbed his own gun, and approached the shooter, Arlington police said. unquote

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...national_pop_b

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Law abider View Post
    Should have called 911. But if the perp was about to kill his girl then the situation would have been different... but would he still gotten killed by the soldier??? If the threat is not directed at us, stay out and call 911.

Bradden confessed to slapping a gun out of the man’s hand and shooting him
    Maybe should have kept his distance too.
    the perp was attempting to leave the scene and his partner was still alive hobbling about and the victim quote: He (perp) then climbed into his truck in the parking lot and attempted to leave when Antell (victim) tried to stop him. ... trying to disarm the fleeing shooter...unquote
    clarification parenthesis added by myself. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...national_pop_b

ipse
    Last edited by solus; 05-03-2016 at 03:48 PM.

Rethink intervening

This thread was closed cause.. well:

but food for thought:
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/%E2%80%98he-thought-he-could-help-concealed-carry-gun-wielder-intervenes-in-domestic-dispute-and-is-shot-dead/ar-BBsz37g?li=BBnbfcL

The concealed carry permit holder was trying to intervene in a domestic dispute, trying to disarm the fleeing shooter.

Instead, he was killed.

--Moderator note--
    This post from deleted, duplicate thread

Last edited by Grapeshot; 05-04-2016 at 04:38 AM. Reason: added note
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    This thread was closed cause.. well:

but food for thought:
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/%E2%80%98he-thought-he-could-help-concealed-carry-gun-wielder-intervenes-in-domestic-dispute-and-is-shot-dead/ar-BBsz37g?li=BBnbfcL

The concealed carry permit holder was trying to intervene in a domestic dispute, trying to disarm the fleeing shooter.

Instead, he was killed.

--Moderator note--
    This post from deleted, duplicate thread

Well he had a 50/50 chance ... at best because the killer was likely more willing to shoot.

Outcome unfortunate but not surprising .. of course hindsight is always 20/20.

I would guess he brandished his gun and gave some verbal commands....enabling the killer to shoot first. The killer may actually have a self defense argument to make if so. If a jury eats it up is another question.

Interfering in a domestic dispute is dangerous I went to and handle hundreds of them in my career.

Unless one is a LEO with the full power of the state and laws to back you up. It would be very wise to stay out of them.

If I would have rolled up as a working LEO onto this situation the shooter would have face a long gun with the full indent that if he did not comply most likely had been shot.

One has to be ready to and mentally prepared to use the proper amount of force, cover and do what needs to be done.

To many people believe that just because you threaten some one with a firearm they well comply with your commands.

I can tell you their are plenty of people out who don't care, or are more then willing to take you on.

Don't play cop I was one and I decide that even with all my training and experience. Because I no longer have the power and protection of an working LEO I well not can, not act as one.

I well use all my training and experience to protect myself and my family to the best I can using the proper amount of force the situation demands.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post
    Interfering in a domestic dispute is dangerous I went to and handle hundreds of them in my career. ...
    Good information to have. Thank you.

And any bets that this will be a capital murder case?
    Last edited by Phoenix David; 05-16-2016 at 10:47 PM. Reason: spelling correction.
    Freedom is a bit like sex, when your getting it you take it for granted, when you're not you want it bad, other people get mad at you for having it and others want to take it away from you so only they have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix David View Post
    And any bets that this will be a capitol murder case?
    No capitol involved unfortunately.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

and here i am the one regularly accused of being sanctimonious and contentious

and no, the trait did not rub off from me...

lol, tho nicely played nightmare...

ipse

Banned
    Interfering in a domestic dispute is dangerous I went to and handle hundreds of them in my career.
    <sniP,.
    And how many calls did you hear over the radio where you responded that you were too busy to go to the domestic disturbance call (or just ignored the call) ? I don't blame ya. The "victim" will many times turn on ya.

My motto is: you married him/her ... ya picked a winner ! Deal with it.

Unless one is a LEO with the full power of the state and laws to back you up. It would be very wise to stay out of them.

If I would have rolled up as a working LEO onto this situation the shooter would have face a long gun with the full indent that if he did not comply most likely had been shot.

One has to be ready to and mentally prepared to use the proper amount of force, cover and do what needs to be done.

To many people believe that just because you threaten some one with a firearm they well comply with your commands.

I can tell you their are plenty of people out who don't care, or are more then willing to take you on.

Don't play cop I was one and I decide that even with all my training and experience. Because I no longer have the power and protection of an working LEO I well not can, not act as one.

I well use all my training and experience to protect myself and my family to the best I can using the proper amount of force the situation demands.
    BTDT. I was a LEO in SE Texas in the late 70's.

I am HIGHLY UNLIKELY to intervene in a Domestic situation unless I determine there is an extreme likelihood of the abused ending up dead if something is not done. If I do I really want some SERIOUS backup.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.(borrowed from RioKid)