Thread: Remembering Peter Nap

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Remembering Peter Nap

This purpose of this thread is to create a stroll down Memory Lane of Peter Nap and what he said, did, or other things that remind you of him.

One-liners/teasers are acceptable, as are brief inclusions of stories you may wish to share.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 05-06-2016 at 06:24 AM.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

A quiet, generally reserved man, Peter had been a contract federal reclamation agent re wants/warrants and bond jumpers. He had more facets than a Tiffany diamond.

He regularly admonished us to not go north of the Ni.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

One facet was his venture into Old Virginia News

For Peter Nap

I'm sure there will be numerous posts of stories and memories of such a great man, and much to share at the upcoming Memorial Dinner at Nick's Roman Terrace (which was a special spot for Nap and his Keeper). Thanks for starting this thread, Grape!

There are many memories of Don that flash through my mind as I start to write this. Just simple things. Don had so many interests and was so darn fearless - whether it was taking a stroll on his motorcycle or doing crazy work at the farm (and loving the little and big creatures he encountered there). Always loved seeing the pictures he shared on OCDO and his different Avatars; I'm so happy Nap's posts will remain for us to look at anytime. Don knew how to keep things fun and interesting. He will be missed dearly.

Nap was so active in many ways - never without his own "personal" camera crew. It was always a treat to see a new "toy" he added to his huge collection of video equipment, ETC, and I never hesitated to ask for a demonstration, and he always enjoyed that. I remember Don walking around in a very handsome blue suit and carrying a huge video camera at one of the Lobby Day events. I used to tell Don how much I loved his pictures, but there was one problem - he was never in them. He would just laugh.

I doubt there was an event that Don missed in his very active years. He was certainly known throughout the forum and amongst the various groups as a huge defender of our rights.

On a personal note, I admired and respected Don for his show of kindness, gentleness, and his sense of humor (although admittedly, sometimes went over my head -ha), and the love that was so obvious for his wife "the keeper". What a beautiful lady Jane is, and their 2 beautiful children.

My most profound memory that I will carry and cherish is when Dale and I visited Don at the hospital. I sat with him (while Dale and Jane were visiting) and we talked about a bunch of stuff. We probably talked more on that day than at any other time, and I am so grateful for that. He expressed how overwhelmed and blessed he felt over the outpour of support, generosity, and love from his many friends. I witnessed this outpour of love at his beautiful Memorial Service.

Don, you remain here in our thoughts and hearts. God Bless your spirit that is now at rest and peace.

Warmest regards,

DoubleTap
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 05-07-2016 at 12:40 PM. Reason: fixed speeling
    Fear has two meanings: Forget everything and run OR face everything and rise!

Peter did not have a CHP - firm in his belief that one should not be required.

Detested irresponsible dog hunters trespassing on the lands of others and doing damage.

Loved big bore handguns.

Had a special relationship with the bears on his property.

Magic was viewed through the lens of his cameras.

If a friend needed help, Don would be first in line.

He had as much enthusiasm for life as his beloved Great Dane Zeus - could always be found where the action was.

Did I say that he loved rich black coffee? He did.

He did not seek honor and glory for himself - preferred to recognize others.

I remember standing with my young friends that I had brought to the open-carry pig roast that Skidmark hosted. They were lamenting about the fact that they could not hunt while we were at the undocumented smoking area. Peter Nap was walking toward us to smoke one of those hand rolled cigarettes that he always and I was able to inform my young friends that they could now hunt on Sundays and the man that spearheaded the change was the man that coming toward us.

Of what I knew of Peter Napp. I liked.him
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

One of the better conversations I had with him was when he called me when I was going through something rather difficult. Knowing of one of my previous conversations just a few hours before he called he offered some advise and disclaimed that "we know just enough to get you in trouble" in context it was hilarious.

Truly I am fortunate to call all of you friends (you know who you are). I came on this site to learn about open carry, I wouldn't have guessed that I would have met such great people.
    In our quest for knowledge we must be prepared for and armed against misinformation.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanner View Post
    One of the better conversations I had with him was when he called me when I was going through something rather difficult. Knowing of one of my previous conversations just a few hours before he called he offered some advise and disclaimed that "we know just enough to get you in trouble" in context it was hilarious.

Truly I am fortunate to call all of you friends (you know who you are). I came on this site to learn about open carry, I wouldn't have guessed that I would have met such great people.
    +1
    JFT 96

I'm sorry, did I offend you with my opinion?
    You should hear the ones I keep to myself.

Porthos, Athos, and Aramis = peter nap, skidmark and Grapeshot, d'Artagnan = ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tanner View Post
    Snip
    +1

It's going to seam odd to go to an event and not have Don there with all the cameras. I always enjoyed visiting with him.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    Yes I carry a Bible and a Gun, your point.
    Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")
    Benjamin Franklin said, "A government that does not trust it's citizens with guns is a government that should not be trusted."