Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gun rights advocates say Donald Trump is their candidate for the White House.

Gun rights advocates say Donald Trump is their candidate for the White House.

Mr. Trump did write in his 2000 book, “The America We Deserve,” that while he generally opposes gun control, he supported a ban on so-called assault weapons and a slightly longer waiting period for a gun.
    [ ... ]
    “I have not seen anything on the issue of guns that’s caused me to hesitate with him,” said Philip Van Cleave, president of the Virginia Citizens Defense League.
    [ ... ]
    Erich Pratt, a spokesman for Gun Owners of America, pointed to those comments as evidence that Mr. Trump has taken “some anti-gun positions in the past” — but he also said the candidate has “certainly staked out a pro-gun position on supporting concealed carry and opposing gun-free zones.”
    [ ... ]
    “Whatever his comments have been in the past, he’s been very vocal and he often addressed the issue before other candidates have,” said John R. Lott Jr., president of the Crime Prevention Research Center. “Surely, since at least the campaign and maybe a little bit before, he’s been very consistent on the gun issue.”
    [ ... ]
    Mr. Lott, though, said gun control, apart from any other issue, is one where there is a clear ideological delineation in the country, and Mr. Trump benefits from that.

“The one issue that most differentiates liberals and conservatives isn’t abortion, isn’t taxes, isn’t lots of other issues — it’s gun control,” he said.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-is-their-can/

RKABA is a fine single issue litmus test.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

None is so blind as he who will not see

I don't trust him half as far as I could throw Trump Tower

He has been on every side of every issue in the past and I see nothing to stop him from changing positions again right after he says "I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States....."

Banned
    Anyone can name a GOP president of the last 50 yrs who supported our RKBA ? I doubt it.

You want your #1 priority to be a Pres. who would not sign any antigun legislation .... Johnson is your man....no one else this election.

And I don't fall for the "lesser of 2 evils" trap either.

A lot of people continually bring up the fact they won't vote for Trump as the Republican Nominee, but lets put something into perspective...

Justice Scalia's seat is vacant, Ginsberg is 82 years old, Kennedy is 79, Breyer is 77, and Thomas is 67. Nowadays the data shows the average age of Supreme Court retirement or death occurs after 75.

These are 5 vacancies that will likely come up over the next 4-8 years. The next President will have the power to potentially create a 7-2 Supreme Court skewed in their ideology.

Think about it... 7-2. If the next President appoints 5 young justices, it will guarantee control of the Supreme Court for an entire generation. 7-2 decisions will hold up much more over time than 5-4 decisions which are seemed to be lacking in mandate.

Hillary has made it clear she will use the Supreme Court to go after the 2nd Amendment. She has literally said that the Supreme Court was wrong in it's Heller decision, stating that the Court should overturn and remove the individual right to keep and bear arms. Period.

Everyone saying they "won't" vote for one candidate or the other as the GOP nominee, please realize this. If Hillary Clinton wins and gets to make these appointments, you likely will never see another Conservative victory at the Supreme Court level for the rest of your life. Ever.

*Yes, this is a copy from an email, but is nonetheless true.
    Last edited by JEStucker; 05-08-2016 at 08:08 PM. Reason: giving credit where credit is due

Quote Originally Posted by JEStucker View Post
    A lot of people continually bring up the fact they won't vote for Trump as the Republican Nominee, but lets put something into perspective...

Justice Scalia's seat is vacant, Ginsberg is 82 years old, Kennedy is 79, Breyer is 77, and Thomas is 67. Nowadays the data shows the average age of Supreme Court retirement or death occurs after 75.

These are 5 vacancies that will likely come up over the next 4-8 years. The next President will have the power to potentially create a 7-2 Supreme Court skewed in their ideology.

Think about it... 7-2. If the next President appoints 5 young justices, it will guarantee control of the Supreme Court for an entire generation. 7-2 decisions will hold up much more over time than 5-4 decisions which are seemed to be lacking in mandate.

Hillary has made it clear she will use the Supreme Court to go after the 2nd Amendment. She has literally said that the Supreme Court was wrong in it's Heller decision, stating that the Court should overturn and remove the individual right to keep and bear arms. Period.

Everyone saying they "won't" vote for one candidate or the other as the GOP nominee, please realize this. If Hillary Clinton wins and gets to make these appointments, you likely will never see another Conservative victory at the Supreme Court level for the rest of your life. Ever.
    A good astute analysis.

I will not vote for Trump as the Republican nominee, but I will vote against Hag Hillary. I pray that President Trump will be the death of the Republican/GOP when the American right-wing sees what they have wrought.

The Libertarian Party and all the other third parties have sealed their doom by not elevating an electable nominee. Against Trump that should have been easy, but they're too busy with recreational drugs.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Anyone can name a GOP president of the last 50 yrs who supported our RKBA ? I doubt it.

You want your #1 priority to be a Pres. who would not sign any antigun legislation .... Johnson is your man....no one else this election.

And I don't fall for the "lesser of 2 evils" trap either.
    There is always the "greater harm" philosophy.

BTW - your Johnson is not in the race.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    ...The Libertarian Party and all the other third parties have sealed their doom by not elevating an electable nominee. Against Trump that should have been easy, but they're too busy with recreational drugs.
    That's an insulting and grossly inaccurate portrayal.

The Libertarian Party will be on the ballot in all 50 states, the only "third party" that can pull that off. The others aren't even close and even if you want to ignore the minor parties, you must make a clear exception for the Libertarian Party, the only real "third party."

Their "doom" is not their own doing, but that of the media who, by and large, refuse to even talk about them. Only one major poll included them, and Gary Johnson polled at 11 percent*, a significantly solid start. Gary Johnson is a two-term state governor with a track record of major financial success at the state level. He is absolutely qualified for the job, and arguably more qualified than the candidates from the two major parties. All he needs is the media to recognize it.

The Libertarian Party is not resting on its laurels, nor "too busy with recreational drugs." One need not be a useless drunkard to know that alcohol should be legal for adults to make their own decisions about; why would you apply that reasoning with something else, except as a soundbite to make it seem okay to continue to ignore them for other reasons?

*http://www.monmouth.edu/assets/0/322...2a6e5f8e61.pdf
    Last edited by MAC702; 05-08-2016 at 07:11 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    ...BTW - your Johnson is not in the race.
    The Libertarian Party has no need for a misleading/entertaining year-long selection/advertising campaign to select its nominee. Its convention is May 27.
    Last edited by MAC702; 05-08-2016 at 07:08 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

That's a great read and useful information, but I hate to see it credited as an original post. This is cut-and-pasted from Emails that have been circulating for months now. It's also extremely familiar, as if just names/numbers have changed and it's the same one that circulated widely four years ago.

...These are 5 vacancies that will likely come up over the next 4-8 years. The next President will have the power to potentially create a 7-2 Supreme Court skewed in their ideology...
    Quote Originally Posted by nightmare
    A good astute analysis....
    Last edited by MAC702; 05-08-2016 at 07:09 PM.

No third party candidates have filed in Wisconsin.

Ballotopedia suggests than no third party candidates have filed in Wisconsin, the home of the John birch Society, and an active Constitution Party.

https://ballotpedia.org/Presidential...primary_ballot

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    [ ... ]The Libertarian Party is not resting on its laurels, nor "too busy with recreational drugs." One need not be a useless drunkard to know that alcohol should be legal for adults to make their own decisions about; why would you apply that reasoning with something else, except as a soundbite to make it seem okay to continue to ignore them for other reasons? ...
    Hag Hillary and the Democrats have co-opted the drug legalization platform plank. Want to liberalize drug laws, vote Democrat.

Ballotopedia suggests than no third party candidates have filed in Wisconsin, the home of the John birch Society, and an active Constitution Party.

https://ballotpedia.org/Presidential...primary_ballot
    The Libertarian convention is May 27. June 1 is the filing deadline in Wisconsin.

https://ballotpedia.org/Wisconsin_elections,_2016
    Last edited by MAC702; 05-08-2016 at 07:28 PM.

P.J. O'Rourke -- who disagrees with Hillary on virtually every major political issue -- endorsed Hillary on the radio this morning.

He asserted that unlike the presumptive Republican nominee, reason has something to do with Hillary's decision-making. Or at least he thought that something resembling reasoning was recognizable.

This, in his opinion, is a desirable quality in a President.

Secondly, if Trump were to become President, eventually someone would probably have to show him where "The Button" is.

While the aftermath of thermonuclear war might increase public support for the Second Amendment, this "bright side" may not be sufficient, from a strictly utilitarian perspective, to prefer The Donald as the next Commander-in-Chief.

See your O'Rourke and raise: Rapper Azealia Banks Endorses Trump.

In her series of tweets, Banks defended Trump and his outspoken opinions. “Trump is an [anus] but he’s not been groomed and programmed on some mkultra tip to DO & SAY what the establishment wants him to,” she began and added, “Trump just wants the U.S to be lavish … for all of us. I can f— with that.”

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2016...ple-like-pets/

In her series of tweets, Banks defended Trump and his outspoken opinions. “Trump is an [anus] but he’s not been groomed and programmed on some mkultra tip to DO & SAY what the establishment wants him to,” she began and added, “Trump just wants the U.S to be lavish … for all of us. I can f— with that.”

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2016...ple-like-pets/
    I guess, him not being "groomed and programmed" and all, we really shouldn't expect this would be President of the United States to be held responsible for anything he says.

Nice.

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    That's an insulting and grossly inaccurate portrayal.

The Libertarian Party will be on the ballot in all 50 states, the only "third party" that can pull that off. The others aren't even close and even if you want to ignore the minor parties, you must make a clear exception for the Libertarian Party, the only real "third party."

Their "doom" is not their own doing, but that of the media who, by and large, refuse to even talk about them. Only one major poll included them, and Gary Johnson polled at 11 percent*, a significantly solid start. Gary Johnson is a two-term state governor with a track record of major financial success at the state level. He is absolutely qualified for the job, and arguably more qualified than the candidates from the two major parties. All he needs is the media to recognize it.

The Libertarian Party is not resting on its laurels, nor "too busy with recreational drugs." One need not be a useless drunkard to know that alcohol should be legal for adults to make their own decisions about; why would you apply that reasoning with something else, except as a soundbite to make it seem okay to continue to ignore them for other reasons?

*http://www.monmouth.edu/assets/0/322...2a6e5f8e61.pdf
    +1
    I will, as I have for a while, vote for a libertarian if there is one on the ballot. If there is not one it will remain blank.
    The two party system currently entrenched is a farce that makes fools of those that participate. R or D makes no long term difference. There is a
    long steady path for our country and it is inevitable as long as the two party system remains.
    I will never again prop it up.
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    ... but I will vote against Hag Hillary. ...
    That's not an option on the ballot, and it is unwise to so grossly misuse the vote. Will your vote tick down Hillary's count by one, or only increase Trump's by one? You will be voting for Trump, not "voting against" anyone else, and Trump remains an incredibly poor choice. Shame on you for supporting such an atrocious candidate...

AP4LP - Austin Petersen is a good candidate.
    Last edited by stealthyeliminator; 05-09-2016 at 07:40 PM.
    Advocate freedom please

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar

*Yes, this is a copy from an email, but is nonetheless true.
    Not really, no. We will not see "Conservative victories" by engaging in constant compromise, lesser of evils voting, and by allowing our enemies to push the Overton window wherever they like it. IMO the author of emails like this one are pretty cowardly (unless they're intentionally deceitful and not actually trying to save conservative victory.) If we continue down this destructive path of compromise, it will not only be the SCOTUS where we stop seeing victories - it will be everywhere.
    Advocate freedom please

quote: There is no Constitutional provision or Federal law that requires Electors to vote according to the results of the popular vote in their States. Today, it is rare for Electors to disregard the popular vote by casting their electoral vote for someone other than their party’s candidate. Electors generally hold a leadership position in their party or were chosen to recognize years of loyal service to the party.

Electors in 24 States are not bound by State Law to cast their vote for a specific candidate: (added: see cite for specific state identification) unquote http://www.archives.gov/federal-regi...l#restrictions

ya banter about singular citizen's votes here or there...

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by gutshot View Post
    And exactly how do you plan to hold him "responsible"? The only thing you can do is withhold your vote, but that will just insure that Hillary will be our next President. Nice.
    I intend to vote for Hillary.

I doubt that my vote will insure that she will be President, but just in case that is where my vote is going.

I don't know about nice.

This year sane is enough.

An early Shadow Cabinet of policy makers could deflate Trump opposition left & right

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-donald-trump/

As the failed two party system is not constitutionally mandated, neither is a Shadow Cabinet prohibited.

Quote Originally Posted by The Donkey View Post
    I intend to vote for Hillary. [ ... ]
    That's not surprising after reading you on the Irish and South African troubles. Clearly, RKABA is not a single-issue litmus test for you.

SNIP
    So, Hitler over Stalin?
    Or is this more like Marx over Stalin?

I would/will vote for Freedom.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Everyone saying they "won't" vote for one candidate or the other as the GOP nominee, please realize this. If Hillary Clinton wins and gets to make these appointments, you likely will never see another Conservative victory at the Supreme Court level for the rest of your life. Ever..
    This is Truth!! She will destroy what is left of the USA and she will come for your guns.

So......you are not a firearm owner, or....you are selling all your weapons now, or....you do not care that she will come for them. she is a known criminal and you, sir , will facilitate her complete access to the white house. Sad
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post
    This is Truth!! She will destroy what is left of the USA and she will come for your guns.

So......you are not a firearm owner, or....you are selling all your weapons now, or....you do not care that she will come for them. she is a known criminal and you, sir , will facilitate her complete access to the white house. Sad
    Oh dear, Master Sergeant -- Welcome to Donkeyland!

Yes I am a firearms owner.

Yes I am selling some of my weapons -- I sell my weapons all the time. Are you looking for any in particular?

As to caring whether "she will come for them" I would care -- but don't -- because I can count Congressional votes. Even if Hillary gets elected and has "amazing" coat-tales, there is no way that major gun control legislation is going to make it through Congress during her term or terms in office. Even with The Donald as the Republican standard bearer, I very much doubt the Dems have a chance at capturing the House until after the next census -- 2022 at the earliest. And 60 Democratic votes in the Senate? There is just no way that is happening.

Same with Supreme Court nominations: Republican Senators will continue to be able to block any confirmation they want. I don't think that Heller is going down any time soon. Moreover, the fight for the RKBA is not really between Democrats and Republicans, as one might think from the news. It is actually between authoritarians and liberals, and there are plenty of authoritarian oriented Republicans. They may make you feel good by not renewing bad legislation like the so called "assault weapons ban." But the authoritarians have been quietly making the RKBA unenforceable for years through doctrines like qualified immunity and 11th Amendment immunity. If you cannot enforce your rights, you may as well not have them. And it has been authoritarian REPUBLCAN Supreme Court Justices that have been dancing the light fantastic over our ability to enforce our 2A rights for years.

That is not to say that Hillary cannot do any damage to gun rights. She can nibble a bit with executive orders in whatever areas are left to her. But this will be after the Obama Administration will have pretty much gone as far as can be gone with executive orders. Not much to do there.

A known criminal? Gee, I was not aware that she has been convicted -- or even prosecuted -- for anything. We have this quaint notion of "presumption of innocence" in the US which, as anachronistic as it may be, I rather like. I very much doubt that she will be prosecuted for her emails.

And on access to the White House, she has had that before. I am willing to put up with a little bit of pilfering by the Clintons to prevent Trump from coating the White House in gold leaf.
    Last edited by The Donkey; 05-10-2016 at 10:29 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast