• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

80-Year-Old Great-Grandmother Shoots and Kills Home Intruder

Rusty Young Man

Well here we go again: The importance of being armed all the time. Now she may not have a CCL or OC, but still needed a gun for personal protection.

http://komonews.com/news/local/im-not-just-the-typical-granny-80-year-old-shoots-kills-intruder

Komonews article said:
SNIP...Moles, 80, was home with her husband, John, and their adult son Thursday night when she says she heard a commotion. She walked into the kitchen and found her husband bleeding on the floor.

John, a retired Boeing worker, had been attacked with a knife and beaten with a crowbar, authorities said. He said three words to his wife: "I've been stabbed."

Barb, a grandmother of eight and great-grandmother of three, walked down the hall and into the master bedroom. She found her .38 caliber pistol -- a Christmas gift from John a few years prior.

She waited behind the door for the intruder to come in. He never did.

She walked into the hallway, she says, where she saw the stranger.

He said one word: "gun."

She shot him four times, hitting her mark three on of them.

"I felt like if I hadn't, my son and I might both be dead and my husband might have bled to death on the kitchen floor," Moles says. "You know, never in my whole life did I ever anticipate having to take another life -- especially at age 80."

Authorities identified the robber as as 25-year-old Steven N. Sheppard of Gold Bar. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Deputies are still investigating the shooting, but believed Sheppard could have been trying to steal prescription drugs. Moles says her vitamins in the kitchen had been spilled everywhere.SNIP...

Bad guy breaks in (disregards private property), bad guy beats and stabs older gentleman (shows disregard for life of innocent homeowners), bad guy tries to steal (private property thing again), bad guy is confronted, bad guy dies due to his actions.

Stabbed homeowner lives, is expected to recover.

Sounds like a fairly happy ending.:) The only way this story could have turned out any happier is if the older gentleman hadn't been stabbed and needed urgent medical attention.

Last edited:

Law abider

Bad guy breaks in (disregards private property), bad guy beats and stabs older gentleman (shows disregard for life of innocent homeowners), bad guy tries to steal (private property thing again), bad guy is confronted, bad guy dies due to his actions.

Stabbed homeowner lives, is expected to recover.

Sounds like a fairly happy ending.:) The only way this story could have turned out any happier is if the older gentleman hadn't been stabbed and needed urgent medical attention.

You got it. I do feel for the bad guy's family like the lady does, but at 80yrs old she has the presence of mind to focus on the issue, get the gun and shoot with 3 successful hits.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Dobson has helped set up a GoFundMe account to raise money for the family's medical bills.

I would give her some bullets to replace the ones used, but no money.

But folks are free to do so..

deanf

Dobson has helped set up a GoFundMe account to raise money for the family's medical bills.

It's funny: O'Bamacare was sold as indemnifying us against sudden, bankrupting, catastrophic medical costs, but every time someone sneezes, a GoFundMe account is set up.

I mention this to people and they look at me like I've a third eye in the middle of my forehead . . . .

Freedom1Man

[/COLOR]

It's funny: O'Bamacare was sold as indemnifying us against sudden, bankrupting, catastrophic medical costs, but every time someone sneezes, a GoFundMe account is set up.

I mention this to people and they look at me like I've a third eye in the middle of my forehead . . . .
You should have that examined.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

HPmatt

Wish her family well and husband a full recovery.
Killing a 25 y/o perp saved how many hundreds of thousands of dollars of grief for others.

amlevin

[/COLOR]

Obamacare was never intended or designed to cover all medical expenses. It was designed to draw more people into the "pool" and provide subsidies to those who are at the lower end of the wage/income spectrum.

I can speak from current experience that even with great insurance, the co-pays and prescription costs can be overwhelming to many. I just had to write a check for "Month Two" of my wife's cancer treatment and it was damn near $4,000. There are 6-7 months to go and subsequent checks for "Copay" or "Cost Sharing" will be pretty much the same.

Luckily my wife and I saved money before retiring and passed on that new car/truck every two years, refinancing our house as soon as the equity grew by a few thousand bucks, and took modest vacation trips rather than using that house "equity" to fund cruises, etc.

I can certainly appreciate the need for "Go Fund Me" accounts for a lot of people in this situation. Not everyone has a "rainy day fund" and Obamacare certainly wasn't designed to replace one.

deanf

Obamacare was never intended or designed to cover all medical expenses.

I couldn't care less about the intent or design. The fact is it was SOLD as indemnifying us against sudden, catastrophic, bankrupting medical expenses. Don't you remember the endless parade of witnesses in front of various committees, complaining about being bankrupted by medical expenses? All the tales of medico-financial woe?

My point is we were lied to, otherwise no one would have to pay their medical bills with a GoFundMe.

davidmcbeth

Banned
[/COLOR]

I couldn't care less about the intent or design. The fact is it was SOLD as indemnifying us against sudden, catastrophic, bankrupting medical expenses. Don't you remember the endless parade of witnesses in front of various committees, complaining about being bankrupted by medical expenses? All the tales of medico-financial woe?

My point is we were lied to, otherwise no one would have to pay their medical bills with a GoFundMe.

I don't know if I was lied to ... I'm still reading it ....

OC for ME

[/COLOR]

I knew what was to come and prepared...I was not lied to.

solus

Unfortunately, those who don't educate and prepare themselves usually get caught while bending over. They then want to blame everyone and everything else, then expect the government to pay.

well said...

ipse