Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Cracker Barrel makes local GA televison news with Anti-Gun Policy

  1. #1
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Newport News, VA
    Posts
    72

    Cracker Barrel makes local GA televison news with Anti-Gun Policy

    Most here are probably aware of their anti open carry behavior, but it's nice when it's brought to light to an entire local audience in a non-biased way.


    News Article w/video
    http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/31912623...r-carrying-gun

    Dalton man asked to leave Cracker Barrel for carrying gun
    DALTON, GA (WRCB) - By Kate Smith, Reporter

    ...two managers escorted him out because he was carrying a gun...

    ...A manager referred us to a corporate spokesperson, who denied our request for a statement, but a customer service representative tells Channel 3 if a gun is seen on any Cracker Barrel property the owner will be asked to return to their vehicle. Franks says he got a similar response. “It's our policy no one carries on the premise. I said, you don't have any signs. He says, well that's our decision also, we don't put up signs.”
    "Rule 1: All Guns Are Always Loaded" - Jeff Cooper
    On Sheep, Wolves and Sheepdogs - by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman

  2. #2
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,871
    someone on the forum should reach out and invite Mr. Franks to the forum so he would know about the laws of the land...

    and to learn the lesson that if told to go away, you do not put your firearm in the vehicle and then return to spend $$$$ in the establishment that just threw him out...

    kudos for the main stream news outlet for at least taking the story, running with it and presenting a decent presentation on the subject ~ that feat would be unheard of being accomplished by NC news outlets...sigh!!

    ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    US
    Posts
    10
    New here, just wanted to say I've never been hassled at the Mooresville NC cracker barrel. However, it is quite odd that they do have an anti gun stance at many of their stores. I thought they were the "Country Store". Not the "We're a statist country store". The only reason I go there is because my Grandmother likes the place and I try to keep the women in my life happy, lol.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3,731
    I open carry at the one I eat at every Thanksgiving and there are no signs posted. Nothing has ever been said. And yes I am forced to eat there.
    Last edited by color of law; 05-11-2016 at 05:56 PM.

  5. #5
    Regular Member 325rto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Fayetteville, NC
    Posts
    98
    As Color stated, I have also been forced to eat there because my wife and girls like the food. The food is mediocre at best. Just another reason for me to not go there.

  6. #6
    Campaign Veteran since9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    6,787
    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    someone on the forum should reach out and invite Mr. Franks to the forum so he would know about the laws of the land...
    Mr. Franks doesn't care about the laws of the land. That's the problem with almost all antis. Nor do they particularly care about history and avoiding the lessons thereof. All they care about control, and if they think they have a valid idea, others should listen and obey, by force, if necessary.

    The last twenty times I ate there were in 2011. Always armed. OC. None said a word.
    Last edited by since9; 05-11-2016 at 08:06 PM.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    If a state has a posting of a sign requirement then I think that if a business wants to disallow carriers then they have to post a sign ... they cannot trespass a person for carry when they do not comply with the posting requirements.

    So, if there is a sign posting requirement, IMO a manager or employee simply cannot ask you to leave as the law requires the posting of a sign.

    I think NC is a post-required-to-effect-carry state, yes?

  8. #8
    Regular Member DeSchaine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Posts
    604
    ... except that managers and employees are "agents of the property owner" and can act with the full authority of that owner. Sign or not, they can make you leave if they don't want you there.

    Personally, I'll never eat there again. Especially considering their policy in the face of what happened at the local CB here.
    Guard with jealous attention the public liberty.
    Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel.
    Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force.
    Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.
    -Patrick Henry, Virginia Ratification Convention, June 5, 1788

  9. #9
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,613
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    If a state has a posting of a sign requirement then I think that if a business wants to disallow carriers then they have to post a sign ... they cannot trespass a person for carry when they do not comply with the posting requirements.

    So, if there is a sign posting requirement, IMO a manager or employee simply cannot ask you to leave as the law requires the posting of a sign.

    I think NC is a post-required-to-effect-carry state, yes?
    A sign is not a get out of jail free card.

    If you are told to leave and do not, you may be charged with trespass - sign or no sign.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    47
    Open carried at the CB in Olathe on Tuesday, not a word said, didn't even see any looks.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    A sign is not a get out of jail free card.

    If you are told to leave and do not, you may be charged with trespass - sign or no sign.
    These are not natural persons .... so I think that the question of law is a valid argument to discuss.

    Natural persons v. corporate persons have different rights.

    Ex: you can ask a person to leave just based on religion ... a business cannot.
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 05-15-2016 at 11:25 PM.

  12. #12
    Regular Member Freedom1Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Greater Eastside Washington
    Posts
    4,690
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    These are not natural persons .... so I think that the question of law is a valid argument to discuss.

    Natural persons v. corporate persons have different rights.

    Ex: you can ask a person to leave just based on religion ... a business cannot.
    That is what I have been pointing out for years. Except, it is CORPORATIONS not businesses. A business can still have the business owner deny service for any reason. A corporation is the unnatural person that many claim have rights, except that it can be owned like a slave.



    Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

  13. #13
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,871
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post
    That is what I have been pointing out for years. Except, it is CORPORATIONS not businesses. A business can still have the business owner deny service for any reason. A corporation is the unnatural person that many claim have rights, except that it can be owned like a slave.
    Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
    no, the minute you inject the term, 'business' all bets are off and the owner of a business, ma and pa, what have you, cannot arbitrarily deny service on religious, blah blah whatever!

    ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  14. #14
    Regular Member Freedom1Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Greater Eastside Washington
    Posts
    4,690
    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    no, the minute you inject the term, 'business' all bets are off and the owner of a business, ma and pa, what have you, cannot arbitrarily deny service on religious, blah blah whatever!

    ipse
    Great then I have now started a new religions sect, "Those who believe in natural law." The main belief is that all humans should be armed, except while justly imprisoned.



    Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

  15. #15
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,871
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post
    Great then I have now started a new religions sect, "Those who believe in natural law." The main belief is that all humans should be armed, except while justly imprisoned.
    Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
    next you will say godwin's law is the applicable to your sect...sigh

    ipse
    Last edited by solus; 05-16-2016 at 11:05 AM.
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    next you will say godwin's law is the applicable to your sect...sigh

    ipse
    Freedom1man is correct. Once you accept that you will be free-er than you are today.

    N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-415.11(c)


    § 14-415.11. Permit to carry concealed handgun; scope of permit.

    (a) Any person who has a concealed handgun permit may carry a concealed handgun unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law. The person shall carry the permit together with valid identification whenever the person is carrying a concealed handgun, shall disclose to any law enforcement officer that the person holds a valid permit and is carrying a concealed handgun when approached or addressed by the officer, and shall display both the permit and the proper identification upon the request of a law enforcement officer. In addition to these requirements, a military permittee whose permit has expired during deployment may carry a concealed handgun during the 90 days following the end of deployment and before the permit is renewed provided the permittee also displays proof of deployment to any law enforcement officer.

    (b) The sheriff shall issue a permit to carry a concealed handgun to a person who qualifies for a permit under G.S. 14-415.12. The permit shall be valid throughout the State for a period of five years from the date of issuance.

    (c) Except as provided in G.S. 14-415.27, a permit does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun in any of the following:

    (1) Areas prohibited by G.S. 14-269.2, 14-269.3, and 14-277.2.

    (2) Areas prohibited by G.S. 14-269.4, except as allowed under G.S. 14-269.4(6).

    (3) In an area prohibited by rule adopted under G.S. 120-32.1.

    (4) In any area prohibited by 18 U.S.C. § 922 or any other federal law.

    (5) In a law enforcement or correctional facility.

    (6) In a building housing only State or federal offices.

    (7) In an office of the State or federal government that is not located in a building exclusively occupied by the State or federal government.

    (8) On any private premises where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises.

    (c1) Any person who has a concealed handgun permit may carry a concealed handgun on the grounds or waters of a park within the State Parks System as defined in G.S. 143B-135.44.

    (c2) It shall be unlawful for a person, with or without a permit, to carry a concealed handgun while consuming alcohol or at any time while the person has remaining in the person's body any alcohol or in the person's blood a controlled substance previously consumed, but a person does not violate this condition if a controlled substance in the person's blood was lawfully obtained and taken in therapeutically appropriate amounts or if the person is on the person's own property.

    (c3) As provided in G.S. 14-269.4(5), it shall be lawful for a person to carry any firearm openly, or to carry a concealed handgun with a concealed carry permit, at any State-owned rest area, at any State-owned rest stop along the highways, and at any State-owned hunting and fishing reservation.

    (d) A person who is issued a permit shall notify the sheriff who issued the permit of any change in the person's permanent address within 30 days after the change of address. If a permit is lost or destroyed, the person to whom the permit was issued shall notify the sheriff who issued the permit of the loss or destruction of the permit. A person may obtain a duplicate permit by submitting to the sheriff a notarized statement that the permit was lost or destroyed and paying the required duplicate permit fee. (1995, c. 398, s. 1; c. 507, s. 22.1(c); c. 509, s. 135.3(e); 1997, c. 238, s. 6; 2000-140, s. 103; 2000-191, s. 5; 2005-232, s. 3; 2011-268, s. 14; 2015-241, s. 14.30(cc).)





    posting of a conspicuous notice or statement I think that the law is clear .. they cannot trespass you unless they post a notice or statement .... they lose even with the lizard laws.
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 05-16-2016 at 12:24 PM.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,153
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    posting of a conspicuous notice or statement I think that the law is clear .. they cannot trespass you unless they post a notice or statement .... they lose even with the lizard laws.
    I think that you are wrong. One may not carry where prohibited by a conspicuous notice, but your license to trespass can be revoked by an agent of the business. The axiom is that what is not illegal is legal.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    I think that you are wrong. One may not carry where prohibited by a conspicuous notice, but your license to trespass can be revoked by an agent of the business. The axiom is that what is not illegal is legal.

    (a) Any person who has a concealed handgun permit may carry a concealed handgun unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law



    Show where you are otherwise SPECIFICALLY prohibited by law. The word "specifically" has great meaning IMO. Clearly the legislature created a balance [still illegal IMO but, just looking at the law] ... so the general trespassing authority is not sufficient under the law.

    Someone there should ask their legislative research team or AG for an opinion letter.

    I think its a slam dunk .. w/o a sign, one can carry. period
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 05-16-2016 at 05:25 PM.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,153
    Then McBeth can be the test case. He'll be trespassed on general principles and no one will ever know that he's ..... "But you can't trespass me, I'm carrying a permitted gun." McBeth will be squealing like a piggie to the tune of Dueling Banjos.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  20. #20
    Campaign Veteran deepdiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Southeast, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    5,974
    I've never had a problem at our local CB either. I already quit going to Panera because of their jerk CEO. Now CB? My wife is not going to be happy...
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

  21. #21
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,272
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Then McBeth can be the test case. He'll be trespassed on general principles and no one will ever know that he's ..... "But you can't trespass me, I'm carrying a permitted gun." McBeth will be squealing like a piggie to the tune of Dueling Banjos.
    ...oh, my young apprentice...mcbeth only has home made guns...no permit required.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,153
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    ...oh, my young apprentice...mcbeth only has home made guns...no permit required.
    Matters not in Clayton, Georgia.

    Thanks for the "young."
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    missouri
    Posts
    497
    Quote Originally Posted by tcbrad98 View Post
    Open carried at the CB in Olathe on Tuesday, not a word said, didn't even see any looks.
    i'm sure Kansas has an ever increasing amount of armed patrons... not surprising honestly considering the constitutional carry of Kansas.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •