• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ATF allows electronic record keeping

solus

quote:
Ruling 2016-1 supersedes 2013-5 and allows for cloud or remote server storage of records, with some substantial conditions. It also explicitly requires all bound books, such as repair or NFA records, to be in electronic form if records for firearms held for sale are in electronic form. https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/r...keep-firearms-records-electronically/download

Ruling 2016-2 supersedes 2008-3 and allows for electronic signatures, electronic migration of NICS data and electronic storage of pending Forms 4473. All of these changes come with some specific conditions that have to be met. https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/ruling/2016-2-–-electronic-atf-form-4473/download

Ruling 2016-3 involves manufacturers only and supersedes Ruling 2010-8. It clarifies how manufacturers should record changes in model, type, caliber, etc. in the bound books. https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/r...ation-records-required-manufacturers/download

unquote.

for those who might be interested...

ipse

solus

wow, kinda impressed...a minute after i posted you popped off...quite impressive

ipse

BigStack

They got to make sure the info is easily collected and searchable when the time comes for banning/confiscation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
wow, kinda impressed...a minute after i posted you popped off...quite impressive

ipse
It's not stalking unless it is following you.

Then there is the atypical definition of minute man for those with only 60 sec.

Last edited:

solus

They got to make sure the info is easily collected and searchable when the time comes for banning/confiscation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

do not see the info being 'easily collected' whether it is in the FFL's A&D tome or on a hdd or CD ?

and if encrypted on said electronic media...hummmm (kinda tough to encrypt the A&D tome)

ipse

OC for ME

5. The licensee must download all records from the system to a physical storage device (e.g. hard drive, Compact Disc (CD), Digital Versatile Disc (DVD), or Universal Serial Bus (USB) Flash Drive) at the licensee’s business premises, or print and maintain them at the licensee’s business premises:
a. at least semiannually; however, if the records are downloaded, from a host facility (e.g., remote server or cloud storage provider) contracted/leased by the licensee as provided in condition #9, they must be downloaded at least daily. In all cases, the records must be downloaded in a format that is unencrypted with the required information readily apparent;
b. upon request of an ATF officer (must be provided within 24 hours);
c. prior to discontinuance or change of: the software (program); the database system, whether or not maintained by a host facility (e.g., remote server or cloud storage provider); and/or the host facility (if applicable); and
d. prior to discontinuance of the licensee’s firearms business.
Condition #9 requires that the data be encrypted if held "outside" the dealers business.

Keep it paper...with really bad handwriting.

BigStack

do not see the info being 'easily collected' whether it is in the FFL's A&D tome or on a hdd or CD ?

and if encrypted on said electronic media...hummmm (kinda tough to encrypt the A&D tome)

ipse

This is why i don't post here. I see it in every post, not just talking about posts I am involved in, but the way everyone treats everyone.
Everyone here is a bunch of anal retentive bastages that nitpicks and negatively comments on anything and everything anyone says.
It drives people away.

The point is that if the federal government wants it in electronic format it can EASILY be transformed/converted into a database that could used for collection/confiscation.
I mean lets face it does the federal government want to take all those handwritten forms and input them one by one into a database ? no.
It would be a lot easier if the FFL dealers did it for them. and then all the FFL dealer had to do was hand over a thumb drive (or hell email it)with a copy of their database on it.

is it that hard of a concept to grasp? that was all I was trying to say.

now you will nitpick that "that is illegal yatti yatti yatti 1986 blah blah blah... I know everything... ".... until you realize that they can and will rewrite the law.

I am done here... gone. Admin please delete this account. Thanks.

Last edited:

solus

This is why i don't post here. I see it in every post, not just talking about posts I am involved in, but the way everyone treats everyone.
Everyone here is a bunch of anal retentive bastages (sic) that nitpicks and negatively comments on anything and everything anyone says.
It drives people away.

snipped for second response...

well Big, guess i missed where you were insulted, called anal retentive, and otherwise demeaned by a member in a response back to you.

Big your behaviour is what drives the kind folk who frequent the forum away!!

ipse

solus

snipp...previously discussed...

The point is that if the federal government wants it in electronic format it can EASILY be transformed/converted into a database that could used for collection/confiscation.
I mean lets face it does the federal government want to take all those handwritten forms and input them one by one into a database ? no.
It would be a lot easier if the FFL dealers did it for them. and then all the FFL dealer had to do was hand over a thumb drive (or hell email it)with a copy of their database on it.

is it that hard of a concept to grasp? that was all I was trying to say.

now, Big, the A&D (which would now include electronic media) is the private property of the nice FFL's business. as such the FFL has an ATF statutory obligation to 'show' their A&D to agents who wish to check something out. to remove it from the premise they need a warrant.

rewrite the law...absolutely as FFLs have been whining to the ATF to get rid of the pencil ledger for years and come into the election era...apparently someone woke up from their 20 year sleep and decided to put a new ruling into place.

sorry your feelings are sooo exposed that the slightest challenge devastates you to your core so you wish to leave...

finally, if you meant something else with your initial post, perhaps you should have said it differently...

but eh, life goes on...

ipse

Last edited: