Thread: Now the lawsuit starts

Now the lawsuit starts

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Please always provide a snippet (FUQ) as to the subject.

In this case:
    CENTENNIAL, Colo. (Reuters) "A six-member jury was chosen on Monday in Colorado to hear the first civil trial of wrongful death and personal injury claims stemming from a 2012 mass shooting in which 12 people were killed and dozens wounded in a suburban Denver movie theater."

"A separate civil suit against Cinemark in federal court is expected to go to trial in July."

"The plaintiffs are seeking unspecified damages for past and future economic losses, including medical expenses, lost wages, earnings potential and disability, as well as for pain, suffering and emotional stress."
    http://www.oann.com/movie-theater-ch...comment-146410
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

What a great country we live in where we can blame and sue anyone for anything EXCEPT those actually responsible.
    Guard with jealous attention the public liberty.
    Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel.
    Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force.
    Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.
    -Patrick Henry, Virginia Ratification Convention, June 5, 1788

If any of the damaged parties were gun carriers that had disarmed in order to attend, they might have a case worth hearing.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    If any of the damaged parties were gun carriers that had disarmed in order to attend, they might have a case worth hearing.
    +1,000 That theater wasn't the closest to the shooters home offering convenience, it wasn't the largest offering the most victims, it WAS the only one in the area posted against carrying. I do kinda hope the theater chain (anti-carry everywhere they operate) looses BIG TIME.

Banned
    Ha .. I can see why you would want as such.

Me? I'd rather have it that zero is the amt the plaintiff's win. Let it be known that if you foolishly disarm yourself and you and you family get whacked .. there is you who bears much blame for disarming yourself and relying on others for your safety.

I choose my words carefully. I said it would be a case worth hearing. I didn't say who should win.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Banned
    I choose my words carefully. I said it would be a case worth hearing. I didn't say who should win.
    Gotcha ... [but who do you think should win?]

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Gotcha ... [but who do you think should win?]
    Can't really say until I see all the particulars. But I think your point is valid. I'm a proponent of private property rules. Don't like their rules, don't go there.

It depends on how the theatre promoted itself as a safe environment, and if their "security" safeguards were too easily bypassed.

I think the lawsuit is better directed toward the city/county that has the law that made the policy legally binding.
    Last edited by MAC702; 05-11-2016 at 01:53 AM.

Can't really say until I see all the particulars. But I think your point is valid. I'm a proponent of private property rules. Don't like their rules, don't go there.

It depends on how the theatre promoted itself as a safe environment, and if their "security" safeguards were too easily bypassed.

I think the lawsuit is better directed toward the city/county that has the law that made the policy legally binding.
    What city/county policy would be in play here?

Good question, I had been led to believe that that county was an exception and that the signs had weight of law. But now I can find no support for that belief in several minutes of searching. The usually very accurate www.handgunlaw.us makes no mention of it.

Quote Originally Posted by press1280 View Post
    What city/county policy would be in play here?
    Good question, I had been led to believe that that county was an exception and that the signs had weight of law. But now I can find no support for that belief in several minutes of searching. The usually very accurate www.handgunlaw.us makes no mention of it.
    To my knowledge, there is no exception to preemption for Aurora county or city. If there is, I need to know about it soon, as I visit out there at least once a month for the mother-in-law. But so far, I've found nothing of the sort.

Quote Originally Posted by jackrockblc View Post
    To my knowledge, there is no exception to preemption for Aurora county or city. If there is, I need to know about it soon, as I visit out there at least once a month for the mother-in-law. But so far, I've found nothing of the sort.
    Aurora would not be the first city to claim a exemption that does not exist in state statutes.

Given what APD did to many many innocent citizens during the Aurora Constitution Suspension Event, and backed by corrupt city lawyers and judges, it would not be surprising that APD would gladly enforce a city code that is not supported by state law.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Ummm---who was it exactly that forcibly took their guns away from them and pushed them into the theater against their will?
    Read the rest of the thread, please. I didn't lay fault. I said it would be worth hearing.