• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Now the lawsuit starts

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Please always provide a snippet (FUQ) as to the subject.

In this case:
CENTENNIAL, Colo. (Reuters) – "A six-member jury was chosen on Monday in Colorado to hear the first civil trial of wrongful death and personal injury claims stemming from a 2012 mass shooting in which 12 people were killed and dozens wounded in a suburban Denver movie theater."

"A separate civil suit against Cinemark in federal court is expected to go to trial in July."

"The plaintiffs are seeking unspecified damages for past and future economic losses, including medical expenses, lost wages, earnings potential and disability, as well as for pain, suffering and emotional stress."
http://www.oann.com/movie-theater-chain-goes-on-trial-over-2012-colorado-massacre/#comment-146410

DeSchaine

What a great country we live in where we can blame and sue anyone for anything EXCEPT those actually responsible.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
If any of the damaged parties were gun carriers that had disarmed in order to attend, they might have a case worth hearing.

F350

If any of the damaged parties were gun carriers that had disarmed in order to attend, they might have a case worth hearing.

+1,000 That theater wasn't the closest to the shooters home offering convenience, it wasn't the largest offering the most victims, it WAS the only one in the area posted against carrying. I do kinda hope the theater chain (anti-carry everywhere they operate) looses BIG TIME.

davidmcbeth

Banned

Ha .. I can see why you would want as such.

Me? I'd rather have it that zero is the amt the plaintiff's win. Let it be known that if you foolishly disarm yourself and you and you family get whacked .. there is you who bears much blame for disarming yourself and relying on others for your safety.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I choose my words carefully. I said it would be a case worth hearing. I didn't say who should win.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Gotcha ... [but who do you think should win?]

Can't really say until I see all the particulars. But I think your point is valid. I'm a proponent of private property rules. Don't like their rules, don't go there.

It depends on how the theatre promoted itself as a safe environment, and if their "security" safeguards were too easily bypassed.

I think the lawsuit is better directed toward the city/county that has the law that made the policy legally binding.

Last edited:

press1280

Can't really say until I see all the particulars. But I think your point is valid. I'm a proponent of private property rules. Don't like their rules, don't go there.

It depends on how the theatre promoted itself as a safe environment, and if their "security" safeguards were too easily bypassed.

I think the lawsuit is better directed toward the city/county that has the law that made the policy legally binding.

What city/county policy would be in play here?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Good question, I had been led to believe that that county was an exception and that the signs had weight of law. But now I can find no support for that belief in several minutes of searching. The usually very accurate www.handgunlaw.us makes no mention of it.

jackrockblc

What city/county policy would be in play here?

Good question, I had been led to believe that that county was an exception and that the signs had weight of law. But now I can find no support for that belief in several minutes of searching. The usually very accurate www.handgunlaw.us makes no mention of it.

To my knowledge, there is no exception to preemption for Aurora county or city. If there is, I need to know about it soon, as I visit out there at least once a month for the mother-in-law. But so far, I've found nothing of the sort.

OC for ME

To my knowledge, there is no exception to preemption for Aurora county or city. If there is, I need to know about it soon, as I visit out there at least once a month for the mother-in-law. But so far, I've found nothing of the sort.
Aurora would not be the first city to claim a exemption that does not exist in state statutes.

Given what APD did to many many innocent citizens during the Aurora Constitution Suspension Event, and backed by corrupt city lawyers and judges, it would not be surprising that APD would gladly enforce a city code that is not supported by state law.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Ummm---who was it exactly that forcibly took their guns away from them and pushed them into the theater against their will?

Read the rest of the thread, please. I didn't lay fault. I said it would be worth hearing.