• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What constitutes a "Mini-Arsenal" -- ask the Pilot

Repeater

In light of McAwful's Excutive Order, what to make of this?

Norfolk businessman with ties to political, business leaders gets 3 years for "mini-arsenal"
A twice convicted felon with ties to the state's political, business and religious leaders was sentenced Tuesday to three years in prison for illegally possessing a small arsenal of assault-style rifles and accessories.

Attorneys for Pieter Reidy asked the court to place their client on house arrest in light of his philanthropy, but U.S. District Judge Rebecca Beach Smith said she couldn't imagine letting the 37-year-old Norfolk businessman off that lightly.

"I could never find house arrest sufficient," Smith said, noting the need to deter future criminal activity by both Reidy and others. "It can't just be brushed under the rug."

The charges stemmed from a 9 mm, laser-sighted handgun found in Reidy’s Norfolk home, and eight semi-automatic rifles, numerous high-capacity magazines, multiple cases of ammunition, 10 containers of gun powder and several scopes and sights found in a storage locker.

Investigators also located a video of Reidy, who was previously convicted in 2004 on charges related to a large quantity of prescription painkillers and marijuana, shooting a handgun at Colonial Shooting Academy in Virginia Beach.

However, he had most of his rights restored:
James Broccoletti, one of Reidy’s attorneys, argued the case was atypical when compared to others handled by the court and asked the judge for lenience. He said the handgun was purchased for personal protection and that the other weapons, many of which were in unopened boxes, were purchased as investments.

Broccoletti noted that his client petitioned for and received the restoration of many of his civil rights in 2012 from Governor Bob McDonnell. He said Reidy tried in 2008 to get his gun rights restored through a presidential pardon, but he filed the paperwork too soon and was denied. Reidy never tried again.

Several prominent Virginians sent letters to the court in support of Reidy, including former Gov. George Allen, U.S. Rep. Scott Rigell, Virginia Beach Mayor Will Sessoms and Bishop Francis DiLorenzo of the Catholic Diocese of Richmond.

As for the alleged "Mini-Arsenal" ...
James Broccoletti, one of Reidy’s attorneys, downplayed what prosecutors termed Reidy’s “mini-arsenal.” He said the handgun was intended for personal protection and that the other weapons, many of which were in unopened boxes, were purchased as “something of an investment opportunity.”

“He collected these firearms at a time when many people in the industry thought that they were likely to be soon banned at the national level,” Broccoletti said.

2a4all

According to the newspaper article, this guy was convicted as a felon in possession of a firearm. He didn't have his gun rights restored, and purchased firearms anyway, so off to the slammer. I see far too many complaints on here about a failure to "enforce the gun laws on the books". Well, this time, someone did. Good on her.

That the judge referred to his collection as a "mini arsenal" is irrelevant.

Marco

The "Mini Arsenal" comment is disturbing as it sets the stage for what is considered excessive (dangerous to their community).

The standard for what is a felony, let alone a crime in which one should lose their rights for is lowering every chance the anti liberty folks get.

The average professional in this country wakes up in the morning, goes to work, comes home, eats dinner, and then goes to sleep, unaware that he or she has likely committed several federal crimes that day. Why? The answer lies in the very nature of modern federal criminal laws, which have not only exploded in number, but, along with countless regulatory provisions, have also become impossibly broad and vague.
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/three-felonies-a-day-harvey-silverglate/1101703499?ean=9781594035227

IMHO, if one is too dangerous to exercise their rights they are too dangerous to be wondering the streets.

Last edited:

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
..........convicted as a felon in possession of a firearm.........didn't have his gun rights restored...........purchased firearms anyway........got arrested..........going to jail...........

all.png

When I transferred off Guam, the Air Force had to come to my residence and "inventory" my personal firearms before shipping to the States. They spent quite a bit of time looking and fondling. They only missed a couple, as they only counted the AR-7s as just stocks instead of weapons. They had not seen that much ammunition in Family Housing before. I, too, was referred to as an "arsenal" and they framed my inventory to put on their office wall. I was the largest cache to ever be inventoried on the island.

solus

The government has worked hard over the years to make the term "Arsenal" when heard to conjure up evil thoughts.

the term 'mini-arsenal' denotes the common man's firearm, w/two mags and just enough ammo to load both, singular!

ipse

1245A Defender

Wowwie!!!!

View attachment 13089

When I transferred off Guam, the Air Force had to come to my residence and "inventory" my personal firearms before shipping to the States. They spent quite a bit of time looking and fondling. They only missed a couple, as they only counted the AR-7s as just stocks instead of weapons. They had not seen that much ammunition in Family Housing before. I, too, was referred to as an "arsenal" and they framed my inventory to put on their office wall. I was the largest cache to ever be inventoried on the island.

This post just makes me even more proud of you than I already was...

Glad youre a friend,,, I wouldnt want you for an enemy..

davidmcbeth

Banned
View attachment 13089

You put every in DANGER with all that stuff .... the island and its inhabitants are lucky the island did not capsize !

Really, the guy's a freeman .. he has RKBA .. just like you and me. Anyone who thinks different needs to re-evaluate their RKBA.

user

Accomplished Advocate
Phrases like, "mini arsenal" are created and used by prosecutors in an attempt to make the defendant look like as bad a guy as possible. They routinely, and in my opinion, cynically, focus on trying to make the defendant look like a "bad person" because that's easier than proving that he committed the crime he's charged with. I have two approaches to such "spin", in addition to reminding the court (whether judge or jury) that the only thing that's at issue is whether or not the defendant committed the act(s) charged in the warrant/indictment, which are to make fun of the prosecutors for using such stupid tactics or to ignore them. The choice depends on whether they make sense or really have something to do with the charge. Aside from the evident fact that the defendant was actually guilty in this case, it seems like one where parody would have been appropriate. Prosecutors, like humans, generally, don't want to have to work any harder than necessary.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Phrases like, "mini arsenal" are created and used by prosecutors in an attempt to make the defendant look like as bad a guy as possible. They routinely, and in my opinion, cynically, focus on trying to make the defendant look like a "bad person" because that's easier than proving that he committed the crime he's charged with. I have two approaches to such "spin", in addition to reminding the court (whether judge or jury) that the only thing that's at issue is whether or not the defendant committed the act(s) charged in the warrant/indictment, which are to make fun of the prosecutors for using such stupid tactics or to ignore them. The choice depends on whether they make sense or really have something to do with the charge. Aside from the evident fact that the defendant was actually guilty in this case, it seems like one where parody would have been appropriate. Prosecutors, like humans, generally, don't want to have to work any harder than necessary.
The prosecutor is paid to get convictions. S/he has no interest in justice. Right, wrong or indifferent convictions panders to the public that the city, town or village is tough on crime. I feel sorry for the defendant that has an attorney that fails to object to such nonsense. I see it all the time. And I'm not saying there are not bad people out there that needs prosecuted. The municipal court system is a racket, follow the money.

davidmcbeth

Banned
hqdefault.jpg

I thought that this was a "mini"?

wrearick

I don't think the Judge went far enough (or we don't have the whole story.....how could that be?). Since he never got his gun rights restored, how/where did he purchase these firearms. could have been in face to face but since the story implies many were brand new, in original packaging, that "suggests" it was done through an actual dealer. If he used a straw purchaser the CA should be going after that person(s) as well.