Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Tapatalk ads.

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    06076
    Posts
    66

    Tapatalk ads.

    I realize OCDO probably has little control over the ads that are shown on Tapatalk. I just found it quite funny that I just saw an ad Uber looking for drivers at the bottom of a post. I'm fairly certain they were never did reverse there decision to disallow their drivers to carry while working.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Jefferson County, CO
    Posts
    260
    Quote Originally Posted by adk_mechetech View Post
    I realize OCDO probably has little control over the ads that are shown on Tapatalk. I just found it quite funny that I just saw an ad Uber looking for drivers at the bottom of a post. I'm fairly certain they were never did reverse there decision to disallow their drivers to carry while working.
    Those ads come from a variety of sources, not the least of which is your device. That's why we all see different ads, based on a unique tracker ID that's in our phones. That's one reason they ask for a phone ID when you install some apps.

    I'm not sure if Tapatalk even bothers scanning the page of the forum you're visiting for ideas, like full browsers do.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    06076
    Posts
    66
    I figured as much. They're doing a terrible job since I've never used Uber and don't ever plan to. I just found it amusing.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Jefferson County, CO
    Posts
    260
    Quote Originally Posted by adk_mechetech View Post
    I figured as much. They're doing a terrible job since I've never used Uber and don't ever plan to. I just found it amusing.
    Do you have the Uber app installed? I know it was installed on mine when I got it from Sprint. Of course, I uninstalled it in a hurry - Well before I put Tapatalk back on it.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    06076
    Posts
    66
    Nope. My phone never had it.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Jefferson County, CO
    Posts
    260
    Quote Originally Posted by adk_mechetech View Post
    Nope. My phone never had it.
    Couldn't tell you, then. If you opted out of any targeted ads, it could just be luck of the draw. Opting out of targeted ads doesn't mean you don't get any - just that they aren't tailored. That's probably the case here, then.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Lynchburg
    Posts
    588
    Only 2 things to say. AdBlocker and Ghostery.

    Nemo

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Jefferson County, CO
    Posts
    260
    Quote Originally Posted by Va_Nemo View Post
    Only 2 things to say. AdBlocker and Ghostery.

    Nemo
    Neither of which would be applicable here. The question is about Tapatalk. Ghostery and AdBlock are separate browsers on the Android platform, and cannot make another app function differently (at least without root, and the idea that this should work is a frightening thing for security and privacy).

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Lynchburg
    Posts
    588
    Quote Originally Posted by jackrockblc View Post
    Neither of which would be applicable here. The question is about Tapatalk. Ghostery and AdBlock are separate browsers on the Android platform, and cannot make another app function differently (at least without root, and the idea that this should work is a frightening thing for security and privacy).

    You are inaccurate in your beliefs. Neither are browsers and both do make many other apps function differently. Basically they prevent other apps from launching a pop up or other ads and/or leaving/reading/noting cookies on your browser.

    I do not know if they work on Androids. They are Apps themselves which block and prevent advertising pop ups and similar from appearing a browser.

    They each also list what they block and any desired ads/cookies/tracking can easily be permitted to show/operate.

    Knowledge is power.

    Va_Nemo

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Davis County, Utah
    Posts
    528
    Interesting, your talking about Uber, at the bottom of this thread for me is an ad for lyft. 😆😆

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,150
    Adblock offers a standalone browser. I believe Ghostery offers a standalone browser. Both authors are active in the ad blocking industry, EYEO(?) may be the leader, certainly the most notorious.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Jefferson County, CO
    Posts
    260
    Quote Originally Posted by Va_Nemo View Post
    You are inaccurate in your beliefs. Neither are browsers and both do make many other apps function differently. Basically they prevent other apps from launching a pop up or other ads and/or leaving/reading/noting cookies on your browser.

    I do not know if they work on Androids. They are Apps themselves which block and prevent advertising pop ups and similar from appearing a browser.

    They each also list what they block and any desired ads/cookies/tracking can easily be permitted to show/operate.
    So I had a long response typed up, with links to information and all kinds of crap. Then, looking back, I found that I was the first person to say "Android" in this thread - meaning I made an assumption there.

    I looked up those two ads on my wife's iPhone, and found that they do seem to function like you describe (according to their descriptions, anyway). It's unclear if they would work on a non-browser app like Tapatalk, however.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •