• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can someone explain me this no gun sign

DTOM2nd

This area is all part of the national forest off route 89a that goes through Oak Creek Canyon. I OC throughout the area but came across this no gun sign at the Oak Creek Vista scenic overlook. The native indian vendors are selling stuff here as well.
http://i67.tinypic.com/xllele.jpg

Last edited:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Since it's a building, and you can't carry in Federal buildings, it means "No carry in the building".

Been there, open carrying, btw. Cool overlook and neat vendors/products.

Last edited:

HPmatt

Looks to me that sign is saying don't sneak up behind a schnauzer w a pistol - probably should shoot them from a distance w a rifle...

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Hard to tell what the building is, but if federal employees conduct their business inside, that makes it a federal facility.

DTOM2nd

Since I didn't asked the 2nd question.
Does the no gun sign apply inside that small unit only and not the area? And why they have it on the inside? One of you already mention, a trap maybe? But then again, the reason those signs are is on the inside of the door because during open hours, the door is always open.

solus

Since I didn't asked the 2nd question.
Does the no gun sign apply inside that small unit only and not the area? And why they have it on the inside? One of you already mention, a trap maybe? But then again, the reason those signs are is on the inside of the door because during open hours, the door is always open.

the commander answered your question quite nicely and no does not apply for the 'outside' area.

as for a trap...you must look to the messenger of that posting that you got sucked in on...

ipse

OC for ME

Upon further inspection, it seems the rule is...if you see a dog in the facility you may not shoot the dog...except if the dog is a guide dog, which is allowed in the facility, then blast away...

cocked&locked

(h) Notice of the provisions of subsections (a) and (b) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal facility, and notice of subsection (e) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal court facility, and no person shall be convicted of an offense under subsection (a) or (e) with respect to a Federal facility if such notice is not so posted at such facility, unless such person had actual notice of subsection (a) or (e), as the case may be.

Is posting an image of a gun with a slash thru it, and all contained within a circle, sufficient to legally comply with the signage requirements of the statute?

I think not!