Thread: Open Carry gone wrong (USCCA Into the Fray Video)

Open Carry gone wrong (USCCA Into the Fray Video)

Found this gem of an article about an OCer who lost control of his firearm. (Warning: the video is from the USCCA & Kevin Michalowski is saying basically OCing is bad & should never be done)

Video Proof Open Carry Doesn't Work??

Looking at the video the OCer was not completely aware of his surroundings.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    The bad guy did not formulate a plan. He simply took advantage of the victim's lack of tactical awareness and no retention.

Plus, carrying in one's back pocket is not exactly proper OC.

What doesn't work is laws against theft - we have video proof of that.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Banned
    I just found it funny .... and the guy ran after the thief? LOL

Was the victim a cop? Does not say .. but that would make it funnier !

ya the event in the FL mcdonalds...eh...

and the uscca bloke is an arrogant SOB...wow!!

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

And there has been incidents of Conceal carry having their gun taken.

What his video is proof of is he has control mental health issues, I really cannot understand why these idiots lose so much sleep how other people exercise their rights.

Sticking a gun in a pocket is a bad idea, no whether CC, or OC. We also don't know if this was staged, it would not be the first time the public was punked.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    And there has been incidents of Conceal carry having their gun taken.

What his video is proof of is he has control mental health issues, I really cannot understand why these idiots lose so much sleep how other people exercise their rights.

Sticking a gun in a pocket is a bad idea, no whether CC, or OC. We also don't know if this was staged, it would not be the first time the public was punked.
    so is sticking your Cc'd firearm in your sock and then deciding it is uncomfortable during the HS graduation you are attending, reach down and 'adjust' it ~ shooting your own ankle and wounding another...

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

I've seen that video elsewhere. OC guy was clearly not situationally aware and it looks like carrying in his pocket but could have been in a non-retention holster. I've seen both stated various places but nothing definitive.

I don't typically OC unless in a retention holster of some type. If I know I am going to be distracted, like shopping with the wife or reading labels shopping, I will push my holster around to more of an appendix carry position and keep my elbow down over the butt of the gun. That keeps me aware of it and if I have to reach for something I think to check around before raising my arm. Not saying it keeps me immune from being attacked for my sidearm. But what it does do is keep me more aware of my sidearm and reminds me to not slip into condition white wandering around the store.

Open carry is not for everyone. Some people are just too oblivious or have too many distractions to not be a victim in waiting. I don't have kids, but we do go places with our friends' kids and I often CC then because I know I will be distracted with the kids.

Just a few thoughts...
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Centurion
    No matter what--- IF you are looking for a reason to do or not do something you will find your reason!

I do suspect that the source from the Conceal Carry group may have a bit of bias in play here--- and in other matters regarding carry, his magazine, and his income!
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Aside from the "property theft does not justify lethal force" crowd, why are not cops not attacked for their hip carried service weapon more often?

...one, and only one guess is allowed...
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
    No matter what--- IF you are looking for a reason to do or not do something you will find your reason! [ ... ]
    I think rationale (justification or rationalization) rather than reason.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Full Definition of reason
    1a : a statement offered in explanation or justification <gave reasons that were quite satisfactory>
    b : a rational ground or motive <a good reason to act soon>
    c : a sufficient ground of explanation or of logical defense; especially : something (as a principle or law) that supports a conclusion or explains a fact <the reasons behind her client's action>
    d : the thing that makes some fact intelligible : cause <the reason for earthquakes> <the real reason why he wanted me to stay Graham Greene>

2a(1) : the power of comprehending, inferring, or thinking especially in orderly rational ways : intelligence
    (2) : proper exercise of the mind
    (3) : sanity
    b : the sum of the intellectual powers

3 archaic : treatment that affords satisfaction
    Then there is the below.
    Definition of nitpick - intransitive verb
    : to engage in nit-picking

transitive verb
    : to criticize by nit-picking
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Centurion
    I was just going to refer one to a thesaurus and let him provide his own elucidation onto the matter at hand. Was that not the "rational" thing to do after all? I don't want to feed him for the rest of his days so let him learn to feed himself.
    Last edited by JoeSparky; 05-19-2016 at 01:36 PM.
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Quote Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
    I was just going to refer one to a thesaurus and let him provide his own elucidation onto the matter at hand. Was that not the "rational" thing to do after all? I don't want to feed him for the rest of his days so let him learn to feed himself.
    alas, sometimes discretion mandates 'tis better to feed the starving individual to vanquish and satisfy their overwhelming need(s) first; rather than immediately trying to impart knowledge of how to do something while they're worried and strictly concentrating on how to sate their hunger!

they will learn better and retain the information for future use.

ipse
    Last edited by solus; 05-19-2016 at 01:55 PM.