• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

RIP Skidmark, Paul Henick

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Paul will undoubtedly be front and center with Don videoing it all.

"Ever look on Heaven's scenes;
They will find the streets are guarded
By
United States Marines. "

2a4all

I first met Skid at a Hampton Gun Show in 2008. He was staffing the VCDL table, which was located in the lobby. I was OCing, passing out VCDL fliers, and when I wanted to go inside the venue, I gave him my revolver to hold for me.

I had no real idea who he was at the time, but he seemed to fit right in with everyone else, and I felt I could trust him.

My wife and I have met him many times since; at gun shows, OC dinners, Lobby Days, always the gentleman, always a sharp wit. At one of the VCDL picnics that we used to have in Newport News, my grandson thought he was Santa Clause.

His take on a wide variety of issues is a big reason I read this forum.

Semper Fi, Marine. You will be missed.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I first met Skid at a Hampton Gun Show in 2008. He was staffing the VCDL table, which was located in the lobby. I was OCing, passing out VCDL fliers, and when I wanted to go inside the venue, I gave him my revolver to hold for me.

I had no real idea who he was at the time, but he seemed to fit right in with everyone else, and I felt I could trust him.

My wife and I have met him many times since; at gun shows, OC dinners, Lobby Days, always the gentleman, always a sharp wit. At one of the VCDL picnics that we used to have in Newport News, my grandson thought he was Santa Clause.

His take on a wide variety of issues is a big reason I read this forum.

Semper Fi, Marine. You will be missed.
Paul had his opinions. When challenged as to always being right, he would reply, "It's not that I am always right, but that I am less wrong."

He was confident enough in the quality of his research to make such a statement.

Last edited:

The Wolfhound

Had to smile...

I changed out the "morale patch" on my hat and also found another Paul gift. Both make me smile that I knew him. I will terribly miss his humor and his wit which often worked together.

Apologies for sideways pictures but 90 degree rotation produced 180 degree change?!?!?!?!

Attachments

• IMG_0491.JPG
    IMG_0491.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0492.JPG
    IMG_0492.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0491.JPG
    IMG_0491.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0492.JPG
    IMG_0492.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

sidestreet

I also have a few patches…,

and a can of dehydrated water!!! ;>)

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29:11-13

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

scouser

although the news of Don Litten's passing was a shock to me (it was actually skid who called me to let me know about 20 minutes after it happened), it was waking up a couple of days ago and finding out about Paul that hurt me more. I even knew it was coming, Grapeshot had said skid's doctor had told him that Paul didn't have long left in an email to myself and a few others the night before.

Paul was the first to contact me after I got out of jail following the start of the mess in Henrico. He was the one who told me he was available 24/7 if I needed to just sit up all night and talk. Don't misunderstand me, Don did more than his fair share too, just Paul was the first.

Wednesday morning, I'm not ashamed to admit there were tears rolling down my face when I read the news. I'm not sure if that was because we'd lost Paul, or because we were already vulnerable after we lost Don. However, my life feels richer for having known the pair of them

Tanner

Feels

I'm not ashamed to admit there were tears rolling down my face when I read the news. I'm not sure if that was because we'd lost Paul, or because we were already vulnerable after we lost Don. However, my life feels richer for having known the pair of them
My thoughts exactly. I was getting into my car after work when I saw the news on your FB page. It nearly took my breath away but disbelief set in immediately. After the short, radioless ride home I log on here and it's confirmed. I felt ridiculous thinking it could have been anything other than the truth, then I remembered a time Paul said he need help moving some stuff around at his place and he needed someone "strong like bull, smart like same" I chuckled to myself and the water works came. I will greatly miss his insight and humor, and how he used both so well in conversation.

scouser

Tanner, I wish I had something more insightful (something Skidmark might say to you) but I don't. All I can offer is to remind you that you and I are better people for having known him

I saw the news on peter nap's widow's FB page, she didn't say it was Paul, but I guessed that's who she was talking about. I logged on here and saw the start of this thread and that's how I got the confirmation she was talking about Paul

Last edited:

jsfrederick

I met Skidmark at an open carry lunch in Warrenton, with User, Don, and Southern Boy.

Had a wonderful time with the entire crew! I really enjoyed talking with Skid. He was very knowledgable, but in a very pleasant way. Not pushy or obnoxious.

The world is a much poorer place without he and Don.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

scouser

I met Skidmark at an open carry lunch in Warrenton, with User, Don, and Southern Boy.

Had a wonderful time with the entire crew! I really enjoyed talking with Skid. He was very knowledgable, but in a very pleasant way. Not pushy or obnoxious.

The world is a much poorer place without he and Don.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

were you at the OC dinner that user set up at the bbq place in Culpeper last year? I know skid & southern boy were there (as was I) but I didn't catch any other screen names of the people who were there

FBrinson

Sad.

I've been off the web for a bit and just now saw this thread. Devastating. So sorry to hear this.

jsfrederick

were you at the OC dinner that user set up at the bbq place in Culpeper last year? I know skid & southern boy were there (as was I) but I didn't catch any other screen names of the people who were there

I was not. Unfortunately, I had to be out of town for work. Would have liked to meet you!

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Paul's cremation has been set in motion.

A celebration of his life is being planned for Sat. June 4th in central Virginia and will include a service with an opportunity for friends to speak. This will be followed with food and conversation at the same site.

His ashes will later be either scattered or intered at a veterans cemetary.

I think Paul would approve.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Paul's cremation has been set in motion.

A celebration of his life is being planned for Sat. June 4th in central Virginia and will include a service with an opportunity for friends to speak. This will be followed with food and conversation at the same site.

His ashes will later be either scattered or intered at a veterans cemetary.

I think Paul would approve.

[[clears calendar]]