• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Today a child pointed a toy gun at me

stealthyeliminator

Now what a man would have done is this : nothing.

A 1/2 lizard would have gone over and talked to the kid's parents (maybe finding out that the kid is six yrs old).

Anyone who thinks you did OK calling the cops on a kid just playing has also outted themselves as lizards ... so you have some company in that.

Unfortunately, there is no known cure for being a lizard, although lizards can cure themselves somehow. I have never been a lizard so I cannot offer first hand knowledge.

Non-confrontational ? Calling the cops is hardly that. How many times have cops come up to me saying "someone filed a complaint" wherein I respond "Yeah? I'm right here, they can come over and talk to me if they want.".

If you think that being harassed or threatened by a 9-year old with an airsoft pistol is an opportunity to "prove your manhood" then you don't know what a man is. So do me a favor, and spare me your name calling.

twoskinsonemanns

"harassed or threatened by a 9-year old with an airsoft pistol"...
Still trying to wrap my head around the concept but since you asked for advice I'll share my own personal experiences when a small child points a toy gun or their finger shaped like a gun at me and says something menacing.
First I concentrate on not wetting myself in terror.
Then if I'm feeling jolly I'll pretend they shot me and go into dramatic fake death-throws in an attempt to illicit laughter.
Or if I'm feeling like a crotchety ol man I'll grumble "Go away."
I hope these experiences help. :monkey

davidmcbeth

Banned
If you think that being harassed or threatened by a 9-year old with an airsoft pistol is an opportunity to "prove your manhood" then you don't know what a man is. So do me a favor, and spare me your name calling.

Unless that 9 yr old kid is a extraordinary person who graduated law school and is not representing the future ex in court ..... then I would not feel threatened by a 9 yr old kid with an airsoft pistol ....

But you???? Here's a link that may help ya:

http://www.interpol.int/Contact-INTERPOL

stealthyeliminator

"harassed or threatened by a 9-year old with an airsoft pistol"...
Still trying to wrap my head around the concept but since you asked for advice I'll share my own personal experiences when a small child points a toy gun or their finger shaped like a gun at me and says something menacing.
First I concentrate on not wetting myself in terror.
Then if I'm feeling jolly I'll pretend they shot me and go into dramatic fake death-throws in an attempt to illicit laughter.
Or if I'm feeling like a crotchety ol man I'll grumble "Go away."
I hope these experiences help. :monkey

You're cutting my sentence in half to misrepresent. I clearly stated - clearly enough that anyone of reasonable intellect should understand - that harassment and threats from a kid with an airsoft pistol are not cause for a serious reaction. If you need help figuring out which part of my post conveys this, just let me know and I'll take a screenshot and mark it up with highlights and comments and everything.

You are also misrepresenting what happened - the kid was not pointing a finger playfully.

davidmcbeth, I did not indicate that I "felt threatened." You too are misrepresenting, so that you can try to avoid admitting error in your original comments. Your original comments were not reasonable, so you want to try and misrepresent my story to make your comments seem more reasonable. Really you're just piling up more crap.

solus

as i stated previously, the child got away with the shock & awe attention they were seeking by pulling the stunt and will continue the behaviour. as you stated, this is not new behaviour, but practiced, being refined behaviour to see reaction by adults to the toy.

children, w/excellent caregivers, push the envelope to see what they can get away with before they get in trouble...if there is no accountability for the child, by any adult (read as authority figure) for their behaviour then the attention activities will escalate.

twoskin, laughter or faking a shot in the chest may make your nervous tension diminish but does not mitigate the seriousness of the situation as the child may want to see if the reaction is the same w/a real firearm.

ipse

stealthyeliminator

He didn't get a shock or awe reaction, but I doubt he received any rebuke, so it's pretty likely this particular child's bad behavior will continue and continue to escalate. But I get what you're saying, yes.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
You're cutting my sentence in half to misrepresent. I clearly stated - clearly enough that anyone of reasonable intellect should understand - that harassment and threats from a kid with an airsoft pistol are not cause for a serious reaction. If you need help figuring out which part of my post conveys this, just let me know and I'll take a screenshot and mark it up with highlights and comments and everything.

You are also misrepresenting what happened - the kid was not pointing a finger playfully.

davidmcbeth, I did not indicate that I "felt threatened." You too are misrepresenting, so that you can try to avoid admitting error in your original comments. Your original comments were not reasonable, so you want to try and misrepresent my story to make your comments seem more reasonable. Really you're just piling up more crap.

Well, I'll accept that you did not feel threatened. Then why call the police? They are not his parents. If you did not feel threatened then what crime did you think he was committing?

stealthyeliminator

Well, I'll accept that you did not feel threatened. Then why call the police? They are not his parents. If you did not feel threatened then what crime did you think he was committing?

I called them because numerous people here that I trust said that I should. Originally I had no intention of calling the police.

No action by police was requested, nor was any taken. Information about the incident was simply recorded. It's a record in case behavior continues, or worsens, so that there is a more complete picture to work with in the event some behavior, in the future, does require some action. This isn't the first instance of problematic behavior (including unauthorized entering of other's property and messing with their belongings, which is something to which I think you would strongly object). With a growing history of problematic behavior, I think at some point the record needs to begin. I thought, why not here with this incident?

Edit to add: I called someone at the department that I know personally, so that there was little or no risk of overreaction on their part. It's not like I called 911 and reported a MWAG.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Still, no claim of any crime.

I'm wondering why you did not go and speak to his parents.

As you said, cops did nothing ... so you accomplished nothing, right?

davidmcbeth

Banned
as i stated previously, the child got away with the shock & awe attention they were seeking by pulling the stunt and will continue the behaviour. as you stated, this is not new behaviour, but practiced, being refined behaviour to see reaction by adults to the toy.

children, w/excellent caregivers, push the envelope to see what they can get away with before they get in trouble...if there is no accountability for the child, by any adult (read as authority figure) for their behaviour then the attention activities will escalate.

twoskin, laughter or faking a shot in the chest may make your nervous tension diminish but does not mitigate the seriousness of the situation as the child may want to see if the reaction is the same w/a real firearm.

ipse

Hardly anything of concern IMO. Kids playing is what it appears to me. The OP did not feel threatened at all ...

You want to call out the National Guard for a kid tossing a snowball at ya it seems. After all, that's just the first step in tossing pipe bombs. :banana::banana:

twoskinsonemanns

ipse

As I don't share your assessment of the situation as "serious" I am not dismayed that my play acting with a child would not in your opinion mitigate that seriousness.

Also your suggestion that play acting with a child may lead the child to actually shoot someone is beyond absurd. I'm embarrassed for you that you actually expressed what is so often anti-gun rhetoric.

twoskinsonemanns

You're cutting my sentence in half to misrepresent. I clearly stated - clearly enough that anyone of reasonable intellect should understand - that harassment and threats from a kid with an airsoft pistol are not cause for a serious reaction.

I honestly didn't mean to misrepresent when I quoted a portion of your sentence. I didn't want to address the whole sentence just that one concept.
Also yes I guess it wasn't clear to me that you didn't think the threats from the child were cause for a serious reaction. I was confused. The fact that you were asking what should be done and your decision to call the police lead me to that erroneous thinking. My apologies.

solus

Today I pulled into my apartment complex after running some errands, and I came to a stop sign. I wanted to turn right. About that time, a boy, who obviously saw me coming, walked right out into the road, so that I couldn't turn. Despite him being completely disrespectful and unsafe, I was patient. This was definitely not the first time kids had done this sort of thing. Then it happened. While walking across the road, knowingly in my way, he raised up the toy gun that he was holding, which was realistic in shape and color, with no orange tip, pointed it at me multiple times, and murmured something that sounded like I should stop or he was going to shoot me. I'm terrible at guessing age, but I would imagine he was 12 or less.

snipp.../QUOTE]

As I don't share your assessment of the situation as "serious" I am not dismayed that my play acting with a child would not in your opinion mitigate that seriousness.

Also your suggestion that play acting with a child may lead the child to actually shoot someone is beyond absurd. I'm embarrassed for you that you actually expressed what is so often anti-gun rhetoric.

ok, twoskins...couple of things to put your embarrassment at ease...
1) an unknown 'youngster', early teens but true age indeterminate, walked in the middle of the street, stopped a vehicle by pointing a no orange tipped, realistically shaped 'gun', at the vehicle's drivers, while multiple times murmuring under their breath, 'stop' or 'i will shoot you'.
Now perhaps twoskins, in your select area of this country's paradise, this sounds like normal child's play, but in a factual assessment of the situation, in other parts of the country, where there is severe social economic environments for youngsters...this child's play sounds like 'gangster' role play or practice if you will to see reactions and responses of those exposed to the 'toy gun' prior to joining a club (read gang) or to venture on their own to make a name for themselves.

2) a quick stroll in this mornings news blurps: let's read about the absurd in the real world and consequences of same:

quote: A New Jersey man whose 4-year-old son shot a playmate dead with an unsecured gun served nine months in prison last year—but he hasn't finished paying for the negligence that led to the 6-year-old boy's death. On Monday, a judge ordered Anthony Senatore and his wife, Melissa, to pay $572,588.26 compensatory damages to the parents of Brandon Holt, NJ.com reports. Senatore's son shot Brandon in the head during a game of "pretend shooting" outside the Senatores' Toms River home in April 2013. unquote http://www.newser.com/story/225562/parents-of-boy-4-who-shot-friend-must-pay-572k.html

quote: Keepers called Eisenhauer a "sociopath," per Hite, and referred to herself as "a sociopath in training." Natalie Keepers, 19, and David Eisenhauer, 18, sat listening to how Nicole Lovell (added for clarity: 13 yo female) was allegedly lured from her home on Jan. 27, murdered by Eisenhauer, and dumped beside a rural North Carolina road. unquote. http://www.newser.com/story/225557/virginia-murder-suspect-was-a-sociopath-in-training.html

quote: Authorities tell Fox 5 Atlanta that 6-year-old Lanira Tackett was dragged into a bathroom stall Thursday at Oakland Elementary School in Henry County, Georgia, by an 11-year-old girl who choked the younger student and stuffed her head in the toilet two or three times. ...say the school had already flagged the fifth grader for bullying but nothing was done, "People choose to ignore it, but they need to know that bullying is real and it is something that affects children," unquote

finally, quote: Authorities say Trinity Carr, 16, repeatedly punched Amy in the head and chest in a bathroom at Howard High School of Technology...killed 16-year-old Delaware high school student Amy Inita Joyner-Francis...Trinity planned the attack 20 hours in advance with Zion Snow and Chakeira Wright, who were in the bathroom...unquote http://www.newser.com/story/224882/only-one-girl-hit-teen-who-died-in-school-bathroom.html

So, if you are 'role playing' with your own children or g-children...knock your socks off...other children you do not know or have any idea of their familial environment you do not know if you are inadvertently contributing to a "sociopath in training"...

keep your eyes closed so the sand doesn't get in them and ignore what is going on in other parts of the society you live in.

ipse

Last edited:

RevolverRO

A few years back, I worked at a large shooting range complex in the SE United States. Three or four times a year we would host a three-day clays tournament combining trap, skeet, 5-stand and sporting clays. One evening we had five trap and skeet fields and a five-stand field going, with about 200 shooters and a large number of spectators.

One competitor, a rather wealthy man, had a personal golf cart for driving back and forth to the various fields. His thirteen year-old son was driving the cart around the complex (quite recklessly, too), and when we went to the father we got the 'you can't tell my kid what to do' reply.

Then, as it got dark, the kid produced an airsoft Beretta 92 pistol (complete with laser) and began driving around the rifle and pistol range buildings, 'lighting up' people coming in and out of the buildings and fields.

We asked the kid to stop and he simply gave us the finger and drove away. We asked the dad and got the 'can't tell my kid what to do' reply again.

So I called the on-duty Sheriff's Deputy from his office at the pistol range and told him the kid had a realistic airsoft gun and I was worried that an armed range customer might get 'lit up' by the laser and respond in the expected manner.

Deputy came out, stopped the kid at gunpoint, took him into custody, and cuffed him and delivered him to his father on one of the skeet fields. He told the father that running around a gun range with a realistic-looking pistol, lighting people up with a laser, was a good way to get shot. Father flipped his lid and was screaming at me, at the deputy, and pretty much everyone EXCEPT his kid. He even tried to get me fired, complaining to parks and recreation that we 'mistreated' his kid.

I guess you can't fix stupid. I loved playing with toy guns as a kid, but in this day and age, I wouldn't be shocked to read about a kid with a realistic gun getting shot by police or armed civilians.

stealthyeliminator

Still, no claim of any crime.

I'm wondering why you did not go and speak to his parents.

As you said, cops did nothing ... so you accomplished nothing, right?

Honestly I'd say wrong - a record was started, which will be useful if behavior escalates to a point that does require reaction. If something else happens and I hadn't shared with anyone the ongoing history of issues, what will be the first thing they say? "Why didn't you say/do anything sooner"

As state in OP, don't know apartment number or parents names. Could I have played detective and tried to coax it out of management without making them privy to the situation? Could I have confronted the child and tried to make him tell me? Could I have spied on the child with binoculars to see which apartment(s) he enters? None of those options sound any more reasonable to me than what I actually did.

Whether or not the kid committed a crime was more or less irrelevant to my decision to talk to my contact in the PD. I understand why you set the bar there - don't contact LEO because a crime hasn't been committed is what we say about observing lawful OC - but I don't think I've broken the spirit of the rule at all. As I said, it's not like I called 911 and reported a MWAG. In fact, I didn't even make contact over an official communication channel. As far as whether or not the kid could have been prosecuted for something, that's beside the point, but yes he probably could have been. Prohibition of carry of an "air gun" by a minor is not preempted by state law, on public or private property (unless consent of owner is acquired). I'm unaware if we have an ordinance against it, but we probably do. If a prosecutor was able to convince that an air gun is a "deadly weapon" then you could also be looking at disorderly conduct. A skilled prosecutor could probably find other angles to pursue, if they wanted. But nobody is wanting to pursue prosecution for this.

snip

ok, twoskins...couple of things to put your embarrassment at ease...
1) an unknown 'youngster', early teens but true age indeterminate, walked in the middle of the street, stopped a vehicle by pointing a no orange tipped, realistically shaped 'gun', at the vehicle's drivers, while multiple times murmuring under their breath, 'stop' or 'i will shoot you'.
Now perhaps twoskins, in your select area of this country's paradise, this sounds like normal child's play, but in a factual assessment of the situation, in other parts of the country, where there is severe social economic environments for youngsters...this child's play sounds like 'gangster' role play or practice if you will to see reactions and responses of those exposed to the 'toy gun' prior to joining a club (read gang) or to venture on their own to make a name for themselves.

2) a quick stroll in this mornings news blurps: let's read about the absurd in the real world and consequences of same:

snip

So, if you are 'role playing' with your own children or g-children...knock your socks off...other children you do not know or have any idea of their familial environment you do not know if you are inadvertently contributing to a "sociopath in training"...

keep your eyes closed so the sand doesn't get in them and ignore what is going on in other parts of the society you live in.

ipse

ding ding ding!

The kid wasn't playing. Realistically, could he have hurt me? Not unless we're wrong in assuming the gun was a toy... Does that make his actions ok? No.

RevolverRO, my goodness... That's terrible :shock:

davidmcbeth

Banned
2015-12-22-1450791537-5646751-KidswithToyGunsStory.png

Hurry ! Dial Nine-eleven ! A nice lizard would.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM5_T0eNPrQ
No More Mr. Nice Guy !

Next? Call cops on a guy who opens doors for ladies .... possible rapists ! Oh My !

Last edited:

beachbum71

Today I pulled into my apartment complex after running some errands, and I came to a stop sign. I wanted to turn right. About that time, a boy, who obviously saw me coming, walked right out into the road, so that I couldn't turn. Despite him being completely disrespectful and unsafe, I was patient. This was definitely not the first time kids had done this sort of thing. Then it happened. While walking across the road, knowingly in my way, he raised up the toy gun that he was holding, which was realistic in shape and color, with no orange tip, pointed it at me multiple times, and murmured something that sounded like I should stop or he was going to shoot me. I'm terrible at guessing age, but I would imagine he was 12 or less.

I didn't stop and confront the boy, nor do I know at which apartment he stays, or who his parents are.

I plan on bringing this issue up to management, but, I wanted to see if anyone had advice as to how best approach or handle this issue - how to bring it up to management, or if you think I should do something else entirely. Obviously I want to be careful about how I approach the issue, as I don't want to spur management to make any sort of "anti-gun" policies as a result of this child's terrible behavior.
well thats a stupid kid , what a disrespectful little heathen :mad:

The Truth

In regards to the lizard reference, it is a well known fact that our corporate overlords are actually lizard people.