Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 38

Thread: Trump accepts NRA endorsement at their annual convention.

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,162

    Trump accepts NRA endorsement at their annual convention.

    LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Donald J. Trump called on Friday for an end to gun-free zones in the United States and accused Hillary Clinton of seeking to let violent criminals out of prison, putting law-abiding citizens at risk, as he accepted the endorsement of the National Rifle Association at its annual convention.

    Mr. Trump said that the November election would be a referendum on the Second Amendment and asserted that Mrs. Clinton, his likely Democratic opponent, wanted to abolish the right to bear arms.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/21/us...nton.html?_r=0

    Donald Trump Wins NRA Endorsement
    Presumptive Republican presidential nominee gets rousing reception from thousands of gun enthusiasts at convention


    http://www.wsj.com/articles/donald-t...ent-1463769758

    MSNBC Josh Barro : NRA Endorsed Trump Because They’re Both ‘Insecure About Their Penises’

    http://dailycaller.com/2016/05/20/ms...their-penises/
    Last edited by Nightmare; 05-20-2016 at 05:21 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,162

    Context! NRA members skeptical of whether Trump's gun rhetoric matches his record

    • The NRA refused to issue Guardian US with accreditation for its annual convention. Reporter Lois Beckett is in Louisville and covering the event from outside
    [ ... ]
    Ryan Baumgarten, 29, an NRA member from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, said he was skeptical that Trump is a true second amendment supporter. “It’s kind of hard for me to believe, because, you know, he’s a New York person,” he said. “He says his sons are NRA life members. I don’t know how long they’ve been members for. I don’t know if the guy’s ever really shot a gun.” “Usually, people are pretty loud about it if they’re shooters ... It’s like a long legacy,” he said. “You never really heard Trump say anything about it for a while before the election.” [my emphasis]
    [ ... ]
    David Kopel, a lifetime NRA member and prominent gun rights expert and attorney from Colorado, said in an interview Wednesday that he did not know how long Trump’s gun rights fervor would last if he made it to the White House. “He’s so obviously non-ideological that it’s hard to count on him maintaining any position for long when it might become politically inconvenient,” he said.
    [ ... ]
    Kopel’s concerns were echoed outside the NRA Foundation dinner Thursday night by two NRA members from Hartford, Wisconsin, who said they had no idea what Trump stands for when it comes to gun rights.[my emphasis]

    “We’re both a little concerned about Donald Trump. We think that he is a corporate dealmaker, which means he’ll go wherever he thinks the greatest deal is,” Kurt Konkel, 71, said. “We don’t know where the greatest deal is for him on the second amendment.”

    Konkel said he did not like the idea of a president governing through “corporate give and take.” Trump “thinks that’s going to be good government, because that’s what he’s used to.”

    “There’s a possibility I might not color in the circles on either one of them and just vote for our state senator and our representative and the townspeople and everything else that’s running, but not vote for president, period,” said John Edelblute, 77. “I don’t like Trump and I don’t like Hillary.”

    http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2...ord-skepticism
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  3. #3
    Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3,737
    So, the alternative is Hillery and that is acceptable???? Even if Trump is the lesser of two evils it beats pure evil.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,162
    Electing the Bush weevils got US where we are. Even the lessers have huge effect. Imagine the effect of the Greater Weevil!
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  5. #5
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,886
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Electing the Bush weevils got US where we are. Even the lessers have huge effect. Imagine the effect of the Greater Weevil!
    w/daddy being vice first, then president ~ we endured him 12 years (not counting his silly stint as CIA director), then suffered Jr for another 8...

    hillary has already been a co-governor for 12, a co-president for 8, SecState for 4...

    don't the citizens of this country see what these long singular entiries from either party do to this country's way of life??

    ipse
    Last edited by solus; 05-21-2016 at 09:46 AM. Reason: kelsey issues
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,162
    Izzat a episode on Days of Our Lives, or Duck Dynasty? If it ain't broadcast it ain't reality.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  7. #7
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,886
    get w/the times...pod cast!!

    ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  8. #8
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    ...“There’s a possibility I might not color in the circles on either one of them and just vote for our state senator and our representative and the townspeople and everything else that’s running, but not vote for president, period,” said John Edelblute, 77. “I don’t like Trump and I don’t like Hillary.”...
    The purposeful ignorance people have against third parties amazes me.

    If you can't vote for Trump, fine; I can at least understand it. But then vote for Gary Johnson and help send the message about how many people actually want liberty-minded candidates. The governor polled at 11% in the only major poll to include him, and that's with the media, by and large, not even talking about him.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    The purposeful ignorance people have against third parties amazes me.

    If you can't vote for Trump, fine; I can at least understand it. But then vote for Gary Johnson and help send the message about how many people actually want liberty-minded candidates. The governor polled at 11% in the only major poll to include him, and that's with the media, by and large, not even talking about him.
    Unless you live in OH, PA, or FL .. your vote for president is not worth very much ... but voting for a Libertarian in other states sends a message. Look, you live in a blue state they are going for Hillary no matter what. That's reality.

    The NRA endorsing Trump = zero effect on election day.

  10. #10
    Regular Member rscottie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ashland, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    613
    I would love for a 3rd Party candidate to come along and actually campaign, challenge the status quo, get in on the debates, and basically be seen so that they can be elected.

    As it is, with the small amount of exposure that they have, no one hears enough about them.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,162

    Third party? There is The Constitution Party, conservative, originalist, right-wing

    http://www.constitutionparty.com/

    I agree that the Libertarian Party isn't much of a third, more like Democrat and a half. The two party system is good-cop bad-cop played on the political stage, "Vote for me, or they will gore your ox!"
    Last edited by Nightmare; 05-22-2016 at 06:12 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    , , Kernersville NC
    Posts
    783
    The NRA fails again!! Trump is not a conservative. Is he better than the witch? probably, but at least we know where she stands. I have a feeling the NRA will be eating crow. (again)

  13. #13
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Has any candidate ever doubled-down and been this vocal and on-the-record with his support for the RKBA and then turned his back on it after being elected?
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  14. #14
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,279
    I believe Trump supports gun ownership, which is not the same as 2A, the NRA does not support 2A. But I am willing to accept not going deeper down the rabbit hole that we know will happen with Hillary. Hopefully he appoints judges that ARE in support of the constitution.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Has any candidate ever doubled-down and been this vocal and on-the-record with his support for the RKBA and then turned his back on it after being elected?
    Ronald Reagan ?

  16. #16
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Ronald Reagan ?
    Wondered if he would be brought up. Do you really think he both was this vocal about RKBA as well as "turned his back on it?" Yes, we lost some things during his tenure. Name an administration where we didn't, and was Ronald Reagan the REASON or did he just sign it?
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Wondered if he would be brought up. Do you really think he both was this vocal about RKBA as well as "turned his back on it?" Yes, we lost some things during his tenure. Name an administration where we didn't, and was Ronald Reagan the REASON or did he just sign it?
    Ronald Reagan was pro-Brady bill .... this is after his presidency.

    Before hid presidency? Assault weapons ban......after previously espousing his love for the 2nd amendment.

    As far as our RKBA, Reagan was no friend.

  18. #18
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Ronald Reagan was pro-Brady bill .... this is after his presidency.

    Before hid presidency? Assault weapons ban......after previously espousing his love for the 2nd amendment.

    As far as our RKBA, Reagan was no friend.
    You didn't answer either of my questions, then, both of which included a clause asking to what level did Reagan PROMISE to respect the RKBA prior to the things he passed that were against it.

    I'm not defending Trump, either. I'm seriously asking if he is similar to any other candidate in the depth of his commitments to the RKBA, so that we can put into proper perspective any claims that he is just making it up.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    northern wis
    Posts
    3,202
    Here some interesting stuff on Trump and where other candidates stood on firearms. full article at the link

    http://gunwatch.blogspot.com/2016/05...rt-second.html


    Many people have said or written that while Donald Trump supports the Second Amendment, talk is cheap, and we do not have actions to back up the talk.

    There is some truth in that. Donald Trump does not have a legislative record to show actions to back up his words. But words have meanings. If a nominee is unwilling to give us words in support of the Second Amendment, why should we believe that he will go to bat for us in the legislature, in the executive branch, or in the courts? If the nominee is too concerned with being politically correct when running for office, even in the primary, why should we believe that they will be willing to take more heat while in office, facing re-election, or under media pressure?

    If a nominee will not specifically defend the Second Amendment verbally and in writing before being elected, why would we expect them to do so afterwards?

    Here is the record of Republican nominees over the last hundred years to see how they compared with Donald Trump
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

    Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

  20. #20
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,886
    Mac, et al., I am unable to find or ascertain reliable past presidential political rhetoric from Reagan on firearms per se. however, thanks to Wiki and the noteworthy Mumford act officially '...repealed a law allowing public carrying of loaded firearms' but in actually was racially motivated and specifically passed to nullify the Black Panthers from opening carrying firearms, where the good Governor stated, quote: he saw “no reason why on the street today a citizen should be carrying loaded weapons.” and that guns were a “ridiculous way to solve problems that have to be solved among people of good will.” In a later press conference, Reagan added that the Mulford Act “would work no hardship on the honest citizen.” unquote. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulford_Act

    it would appear his presidential wahoo 2nd rhetoric might have been just that...


    interesting article in the Atlantic fm 2011...http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/...f-guns/308608/


    ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  21. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    As I said, Trump will support the RKBA until he doesn't.

    Hillary is right out the gate a lizard.

  22. #22
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,279
    JFK was the last president who supported the second amendment for the purpose it was intended. Johnson his vice started us down the dark path.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  23. #23
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    As I said, Trump will support the RKBA until he doesn't.
    And that's a valid point, but thank you for acknowledging that you are treating my question as rhetorical instead of pretending to answer it.

    Half of the reason many people like Trump is that he has no track record as a politician.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,162
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    [ ... ] Half of the reason many people like Trump is that he has no track record as a politician.
    Half of the reason many people dislike Hag Hillary is that she has a track record enabling her politician spouse.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  25. #25
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pleasant Grove, Utah, USA
    Posts
    3,828
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    And that's a valid point, but thank you for acknowledging that you are treating my question as rhetorical instead of pretending to answer it.

    Half of the reason many people like Trump is that he has no track record as a politician.
    Unfortunately, he does have a LOOONG track record of choosing anything and everything that is for his best interest only--- no matter what rights of others he may abuse in the process!
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •