• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Time & Place - Celebrating Paul Henick, aka Skidmark

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Celebrating Paul Henick

Planning for this "Celebrating Paul Henick" event has been finalized, save a few details.

When: Saturday, June 4th beginning at 11:00am

Where: Deep Run Baptist Church, 10907 Three Chopt Road, Henrico, Virginia 23233 - in the Fellowship Hall, directly behind the church.

There is both excellent parking and a playground for kids - same location where we fixed the Brunswick stew to help Don's family.

It would be nice if a number of people would be prepared to take the podium and share one or two stories about Paul with us.

This gathering of his friends will have food & beverages provided (no alcohol) at the same location.

Yes, you may OC, CC, or noC, but please no long guns.

Please send an email to dale@opencarry.org with the subject line being "Henick event - #__ attending.
If you don't get the email sent, come on anyway - just trying to get a rough count.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I assume we will still be having our usual Saturday breakfast at rise and shine? Either way I will be there.

No breakfast scheduled for Sat June 4th. I'll be at Deep Run Baptist Church by 9:00 am.

Yes one will be scheduled for Sat June 11th - clean up day, but at a somewhat earlier hour, likely 8:00 am at Rise & Shine then on to Paul's.

Will need to separate between what goes to Good Will Industries in the back of my truck and what is unusable into the dumpster.

Looking into the proper disposal of prescription medications - there are a metric ton of them.

Last edited:

solus

Probably, but at a somewhat earlier hour, likely 8:00 am at Rise & Shine then on to Paul's.

Will need to separate between what goes to Good Will Industries in the back of my truck and what is unusable into the dumpster.

Looking into the proper disposal of prescription medications - there are a metric ton of them.

1. https://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/pubdispsearch/spring/main?execution=e1s2

2. https://archive.epa.gov/region02/capp/web/pdf/ppcpflyer.pdf (like option two on this cite)

ipse

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Grapeshot

--snipped--

Thank you, sir. That info is what I needed. Also checking with local authorities.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
All is ready for Saturday. Will see you all there.

Even if you have not formally responded, please know that you will be welcomed.

The location is very close to the west end of Richmond - easy to find - see address in post #1.

scouser

rumor has it that an old friend of our group could very well put in an appearance from Va Beach

speed41ae

Sadly, I will be able to make this or the clean up. I am volunteering for the MS bike ride on the 4th and 5th and the Special Olympics on the 10th and 11th.

scouser

I think we did Paul proud, the sun was shining on us as we made our way outside after sharing our memories. Nice to meet some new faces, as well as catch up with others we haven't seen for some time.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
It was indeed a memorable celebration.

Many hands made the event run as well as it did - we are a tight knit group of people that pull together.

I am proud to know each and everyone of you and call you my friend(s). I [strike]think[/strike] know that Paul felt the same way.

scouser

There's a tale I forgot to share this afternoon with everyone, although a few heard it while we were enjoying the food.

Early in 2013 sidestreet and I were chatting over breakfast about the restaurant at Bass Pro serving 'all-you-can-eat' fish and chips on a Friday lunchtime and sidestreet suggested that he and I should go sometime. Well we went back and forth trying to figure out which Friday would work best for the two of us. All the while skidmark was at the other end of the table involved in his own conversation. This was just sidestreet and I making plans for the two of us to do something but, when we finally settled on a day, skid turned in his chair, looked at the two of us and said "so what time are we going to meet?"

He'd invited himself to come along too, and neither of us minded. That's the kind of guy skid was and we wouldn't have wanted him any other way.

Oh, and that story I did tell, about his explanation starting in Ashland going north and ending in Fredericksburg coming back south again (after a trip to Springfield), well it only ended at that point because he insisted I stop the U-Haul at Allmans BBQ so he could buy lunch for the two of us before heading to Carls for dessert.

As for my tale about Logan not moving a muscle at Golden Corral that one time, well that was close to 4 years ago. Logan grew to like Paul, although I'm sure his 6 year old inquisitiveness could rub Paul's nerves the wrong way (especially the day Paul ended up in hospital earlier this year after his attempted breakfast at American Diner came to abrupt halt), I'm Logan's dad and his questions can get tiresome for me too. He said he wanted to be there today so that he could "learn more about Paul" as he put it, but as he'd had a slight fever this morning and because he's 6 and prone to suddenly switching to the "I want to go home now" mode I told him I'd rather he stayed home with his mom instead.

Thank you everyone who came out today, whether your journey was from a place a few miles, a few hours or a few states away, I'm sure Paul would have appreciated every word, and I know he would have approved of the choice of having BBQ to eat.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The epic stories of Paul's ways and means will be told around the campfires with much glee for time immoriable.

Many years ago when he was still ambiltory (needn't need the scooter), he invited DoubleTap and I to meet him at the Coliseum to make GSL stickers available to the people entering. Note we do not solicite/offer the stickers, but rather allow people to take them from us.

DoubleTap was slightly hesitant (didn't want to get arrested as she worked for a law firm), but when I assured he that we would leave if there was a problem, she agreed to join in the festivities.

Hadn't been there but about a half an hour when here came Richmond's finest - six of them, a Lt, a Sgt, and four officers who proceeded to tell us that we could not do that there. Paul immediately launched into his 1st amendment speech and how we were on public property. He also maneuvered himself some distance from DoubleTap and I, thereby allowing us to continue w/o harassment as Paul fenced with the nice officers who were attempting to use color of law arguments/intimidation. In the end, they were no match for Skid and backed off to watch us from a perimeter position. It didn't hurt that Peter Nap was videoing the interaction.

In the midst of all of this, DoubleTap said, "I thought you said we would leave if there was a problem."

"I did say that didn't I? But you have to admit that there is no problem. The officers are not paying any attention to us, we are not threatened with any new wrist jewelry - Paul has it under control. We are just having fun and spreading the good word."

After a moments thought, she went back to the business at hand - educating the public. That day we passed out over 1000 GSL stickers and had many good conversations. Almost forgot to mention that we were all OCing - no mention of our holstered handguns by the LEOs.

There are similar stories about the Hanover Tomato Festival, the Farmer's Market, Va Tech, and VCU to name a few.

Thanks for the memories Skid and the lessons that you taught.

Last edited:

Tess

Founder's Club Member
I took a few snapshots of those who spoke, and of the group. I will not post them without everyone's permission, but I'll happily send any I took to those who request.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I took a few snapshots of those who spoke, and of the group. I will not post them without everyone's permission, but I'll happily send any I took to those who request.
No problem posting my picture ever. Send them on when you have time - I enjoy keeping my own rogues gallery. :)

solus

S-11882.jpg

can we take a collection up to buy one of these so they can put it on their OC'g wandering firearm, for a member who shall not be named?

and pardon the pun, but just pulling your chain sidestreet, er, :eek: unnamed member :banana:!!

ipse

The Wolfhound

I like to think that Paul would have approved.

We smiled and laughed and cried a bit. We remembered him well. He was among friends. It was good to put faces to some of the names here.

Tess, permission granted, if I am in any of your pictures.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
You can certainly post mine - just don't tell my probation officer! ;)

What a sad occasion but a genuine pleasure it was to meet all of you.

As I told Grapeshot, watching the goings-on in Virginia from a distance, I've always been impressed and curious about just who were some of the staunch rights activists were who made things happen in VA - on the street, in council chambers, and in the statehouse. To that end, I was going to go to an OC breakfast "sometime". Thanks again to Grapeshot for the encouragement to attend yesterday.

I'm sorry for your, our, and each of their family's loss of both peter nap and skidmark, but I'm confident that the people each gentleman touched will carry their torches going forward.

Sic semper tyrannis!

celticredneck

I'm sorry I missed it. I and my wife were planning on attending, but I got thrown off my 4 wheeler Friday afternoon and hurt my ribs. Even breathing hurts at times.