Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Katie Couric accused of editing interview with pro-gun activists, Philip Van Cleave

Katie Couric accused of editing interview with pro-gun activists, Philip Van Cleave

Katie Couric doc accused of deceptively editing interview with pro-gun activists

At the documentary’s 21:48 mark, Ms. Couric[]speaks with members of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, a pro-gun organization, the Washington Free Beacon reported.

Ms. Couric asks, “If there are no background checks for gun purchasers, how do you prevent felons or terrorists from purchasing a gun?”

The documentary shows the activists sitting in silence for nine seconds, apparently unable to come up with an answer, before it cuts to a different scene.
    [ ... ]
    “Katie Couric asked a key question during an interview of some members of our organization,” he [Philip Van Cleave] told the Free Beacon. “She then intentionally removed their answers and spliced in nine seconds of some prior video of our members sitting quietly and not responding. Viewers are left with the misunderstanding that the members had no answer to her question.”

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...eceptively-ed/

http://freebeacon.com/issues/audio-s...gun-activists/
    Last edited by Nightmare; 05-25-2016 at 05:12 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

I'm calling Charter and cancelling Epix. I'll drop them an email and let them know why.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Here's the video portion including the fake silence: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6_9q8K2VK8

State Researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by gutshot View Post
    I am shocked, shocked I say! A liberal lying? This can't be true. The only surprise here for me is that gun rights advocates, and conservatives in general, continue to expect to be treated fairly. It never happens. Why expose yourself to this kind of deceptive presentation of your views? I suspect the answer is, that if they don't do this, somebody else will do it and they will do it poorly. That doesn't matter. Im that case it is not YOU that has been hoodwinked and it can be disavowed, but when our most competent spokespersons are made to look like fools it hurts us all. Are these people so egocentric that the can't pass up a chance to be on TV, even if they know there views will be distorted.
    A more complete version of the email from VCDL than was posted here includes this answer to your question:

Quote Originally Posted by VDCL email
    As is VCDL’s general policy with the media, we do our best to accommodate their requests, as it gives us a chance to get our message out to the public. It is a policy that has worked well for as long as VCDL has been around, with the exception of four times, and this was to be one of those exceptions.
    We at GOUtah! do likewise. And it has nothing to do with being ego-centric. I have a face for radio and a voice for miming. I do not like how I look or sound on TV.

But we have to work to get our message out. Given the chance to provide the pro-RKBA view of a story, I prefer to have that view made available than not. And I prefer to have it provided in a thoughtful, articulate, rational manner, than to have the real message lost in a rambling of irrelevancy.

Rarely do we get treated completely fairly. The other side often gets more time. I think the other side is more likely to have their best quotes used while we often find that it is our least compelling statements that get aired. But usually what is presented of our views is presented without gross distortion. And by being careful about what is said, keeping my statements short and direct (I know, so very different than how I write), reporters have thus far managed to convey my point of view fairly well, most of the time.

The media has journalistic values that require them to at least try to get input from various sides. If those who are thoughtful and articulate refuse, then the pro-RKBA community will be represented in the media by whatever bubba is willing to talk to the camera saying heaven-only-knows what kind of things. This happens a lot when there are large protests. Fifty folks show up in "urban cammo" (aka, business casual) to a hearing at the Capital and the reporter grabs the one fellow in BDU pants and the "...from my cold dead hands..." T shirt who starts talking about "Agenda 21" and the 'United Nations" or some such tin foil hat conspiracy.

If (or rather when) a particular reporter burns me by grossly distorting my words, s/he will go on a blackball list. I'll refuse to talk to him/her again. I'll send that message to everyone I know. I'll let his/her editor know what is happening and why.

But until then, I'd much rather see the pro-RKBA side presented by someone who can do so well than to leave it to those most likely to represent us poorly.

I don't fault VCDL at all here.

Charles
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

"With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

"Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.

I've twice been asked (in a three year span) to appear on a local PBS show where the host is rude and tries to trap guests with opposing viewpoints. I've declined both times.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BB62 View Post
    Here's the video portion including the fake silence: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6_9q8K2VK8
    Answer: you lock them up in prison .... duh.

Of course, the lizard is not looking for an answer, is she?

State Researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    I've twice been asked (in a three year span) to appear on a local PBS show where the host is rude and tries to trap guests with opposing viewpoints. I've declined both times.
    Probably prudent when dealing with a reporter known to be grossly unethical.

But as much as I dislike the bias of the media, most reporters are not so bad as to warrant refusing interview requests.
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

--Marxist.org

VCDL thinking that a documentary is the same as "the news."

The only thing VCDL did right in this instance was to have a audio recording of the entire "interview."

VCDL is in full defense mode, trying to paint a liberal media nitwit as a liberal media nitwit...that everyone knows is a liberal media nitwit. Couric works for Yahoo for Pete's sake...

Do not interact with liberal media nitwits!
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Any, and I mean ANY, trust I ever had for media went out the window forever when NBC Dateline rigged the Chevrolet pickup truck to blow up some years back. They were doing a story on the side-oriented gas tank being susceptible to detonation from a T-bone type crash. But guess what? They set up collision after collision, no joy with a fire or even sparks, much less a kerboom. So, they got some high explosives and faked it. Trouble was, the timing was off a smidge, and even without seeing it in slow motion you could tell. With instant replay it was a no-brainer.

This was a national level, network news crew committing out and out fraud. I was already very dubious of reporters. That incident broke the camel's back, neck, all four legs, and crushed the hump. I am willing to be interviewed LIVE, no other way. That tends to scare them away. I wonder why?

Rather disappointing, even though we know, in advance, that many members of the media have no intention of rendering honest reporting. How many times have we seen, not the perpetrator of a crime, an inanimate object, a firearm, portrayed as the "evil" actor in a tragedy? How many times have we seen those same media representatives and certain politicians shrilly scream for more "gun laws" even in the face of solid evidence that more laws is not a solution?

Too bad we don't have a multi-billionaire on our side to finance a cable channel to present an unbiased, fact-based continuing program on firearms, laws, and firearms-related violence.

In this latest edition of media dishonesty, I would expect, at the least, that Ms Couric, and the members of her staff who did the dishonest editing, would lose their jobs. If I remember correctly, Dan Rather lost his job and was discredited for a lot less.
    "Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

Katie's career has been in a nose dive for a long time, even for the bias networks her frothing at the mouth ideals are too much for the networks to stomach.

I have never heard of the Epix network, but there are rumors that even Yahoo is dumping her.
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 05-26-2016 at 10:59 AM.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Brian D. View Post
    Any, and I mean ANY, trust I ever had for media went out the window forever when NBC Dateline rigged the Chevrolet pickup truck to blow up some years back. They were doing a story on the side-oriented gas tank being susceptible to detonation from a T-bone type crash. But guess what? They set up collision after collision, no joy with a fire or even sparks, much less a kerboom. So, they got some high explosives and faked it. Trouble was, the timing was off a smidge, and even without seeing it in slow motion you could tell. With instant replay it was a no-brainer.

This was a national level, network news crew committing out and out fraud. I was already very dubious of reporters. That incident broke the camel's back, neck, all four legs, and crushed the hump. I am willing to be interviewed LIVE, no other way. That tends to scare them away. I wonder why?
    my how time flys by doesn't it...as 'some years back' is 1993...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtpMzGN9uWc

interesting video and 'confession'...and NBC blamed the 'contractor'...

bonus...i believe it was couric was newscaster who presented the confession...

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

UPDATE!! Stephanie Soechtig, ‘Under the Gun’ director, apologizes for misleading edit

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ctor-apologiz/

Couric is now "an executive producer." Spreading the fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ctor-apologiz/

Couric is now "an executive producer." Spreading the fault.
    "Director Stephanie Soechtig apologized in a statement Wednesday, saying she “never intended to make anyone look bad.""

Riiiiight. If that's an apology, I'm the Pope.

An apology ......Really ?

Everyone who has seen the "documentary" and listened to the VCDL recording should submit a complaint to the FCC.

https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/h...ast-Journalism

The FCC receives a wide variety of comments and complaints from consumers about whether networks, stations, news reporters or commentators give inaccurate or one-sided news presentations, fail to cover certain events or cover them adequately, overemphasize or dramatize certain aspects of news events. Other complaints are received regarding the conduct of journalists in the gathering and reporting of news.
    The FCC's authority to respond to these complaints is narrow in scope and the Commission is prohibited by law from engaging in censorship or infringing on First Amendment rights of the press.
    What can the FCC do?

The FCC cannot interfere with a broadcaster's selection and presentation of material for the news and/or its commentary. However, the FCC does regulate content in some narrow areas. Federal law prohibits or limits the broadcast of obscene, indecent or profane language as defined by U.S. courts. Also, the FCC may issue penalties for knowingly broadcasting false information.

The squeaky wheel gets the oil. You should also receive a written response within two weeks.

~Whitney
    The problem with America is stupidity.
    I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Just saw Lou Dobbs on Fox Business taking on Couric's slight - Van Cleave got to respond to clip w Dobbs. Good job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Dave Workman, a national gun rights Examiner, contributes his observations:

http://www.examiner.com/article/nat-...alerts_article
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

commentary at the Volokh Conspiracy

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...c-documentary/

This was the first story that popped up on my internet provider's (Cincinnati Bell Wireless) homepage this morning. This is what's known as gaining traction.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitney View Post
    ... The squeaky wheel gets the oil. You should also receive a written response within two weeks.

~Whitney
    I would not seek the federal government's involvement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhYJS80MgYA
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

State Researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Dave Workman, a national gun rights Examiner, contributes his observations:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    commentary at the Volokh Conspiracy
    Both fine examples of what pro-RKBA folks ought to do in a case like this: Call out the perpetrators rather than attacking the pro-RKBA organization.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian D. View Post
    This was the first story that popped up on my internet provider's (Cincinnati Bell Wireless) homepage this morning. This is what's known as gaining traction.
    Yup. And this might well turn out to be better for RKBA in the end than if Couric had been ethical and even-handed. There are plenty of people who are not into firearms but who still value honesty and integrity. Many of these people have a sense--perhaps not yet confirmed with data--that the media manipulates, is less than objective, has an agenda. Accounts like this coming to light will confirm that for some number of them. And such persons will be that much less susceptible to media manipulation the next 100 times they run an anti-RKBA hit piece. The media will run those next 100 stories.

Good job to VCDL and John Lott for doing solid interviews and for making their own audio recordings. Good job to those in the press who are bringing Couric's deception to light.

Those here who have attacked VCDL might reconsider their views.

Charles

--Marxist.org

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    It has been said before that when the media does a good, honest job of reporting it is good for us.

AND when the media distorts, lies, manipulates, it is also good for us. Gives us a chance to refute the absurdities, correct the facts, and state the truth of the matter.

So in a sense, we don't care what you say about us - just keep spreading the word. We'll be watching and waiting.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

State Researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    So in a sense, we don't care what you say about us - just keep spreading the word. We'll be watching and waiting.
    There is some truth to the adage that any publicity is good publicity.

Two stories linked from Drudge this morning.

First on the AP's big story site is this story about Couric now accepting blame for the deceptive edit. This is the usual non-apology, apology from the left. But the story of the deceit is now on mainstream media and Couric is having to explain.

Next, is this story on the Washington Examiner ostensible about Epix not pulling the film but again providing some additional circulation to the story about the deceitful editing in the film.

And we see why the liberal elites so very much hate talk radio and the internet. The liberal elites no longer control the flow of information like they once did. (As an aside, I'm convinced they hate gun shows for the same reason. Not nearly so much because a few guns change hands, but mostly because they are networking events that persuade gun owners they are not odd man out.)

Charles

--Marxist.org

Banned
    Can't wait for the sequel "Over the Gun" .. a 100% silent movie.

Phillip Van Cleave on KMOX St. Louis 6-2-2016

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/audio/mark-reardon-show/

A little more than 12 minute interview by phone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast